Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats your favorite standard fantasy class?

Favorite standard fantasy class?

• Total voters

v1rus

Arcane
We 'll be using DND 3.5 eleven starters, as they are as standard as it gets, plus warlock, because i know people love it, and frequently place it among the starters.

Also, classes in this thread are completely divorced from their 3.5 mechanics, so perceive the classes by the concepts they usually posses.

v1rus

Arcane
monk isn't a standard western fantasy class

Now that you mention it... Ye, i cant remember seeing it out of DnD. Still, for any of this to be actually fun, you need to take a commonly used roster of classes. And I cant imagine any other published roster hitting that mark closer than 3.5 DnD.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ye, i cant remember seeing it out of DnD.
It's actually not even present in the AD&D2E PHB as a holdover from Gygax's original 2E designs. He planned on punting it to an Oriental-themed supplement and didn't believe it should be a 'core' class. It's in one his articles he published in Dragon.

[edit]
and if anyone is curious what a Gygax 2E might have looked like, there has been an attempt to summarize everything he's stated about it
https://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2009/02/16/ad-second-edition/

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It all depends on the game, standard D&D classes sucks in video games.

Early Might & Magic did the Barbarian just right interesting spellcasters in the latest trilogy.
Wizardry did them all right, fighter, rogue, spellcasters, ranger, bard...
And Wizardry fighter class is in fact a Barbarian done right.

But really, looking at Dark Sun/Wizardry/Might & Magic/KotC 2 classes, D&D classes can be fun, as long as you step away from standard classes.
Gladiators, Psionicists, Death Knights, Ninjas, Samouraï ...

0384295702515ade2bb220abf38bb5d5.jpg

Fucking ought to be. Get rid of the Ki bullshit and get some Mystery or Epiphany points in there. Make them another option for the face of the party alongside Bard and Paladin. High lore, high persuade. A class capable of intelligent conversation with princes and clergy alike.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If warlock is in there, then I also want at least warmage, wu jen, ninja, scout, spellthief, favored soul, shugenja, spirit shaman, hexblade, samurai, and swashbuckler. Also, psion definitely takes priority over warlock, so I also want that and wilder, soulknife, psychic warrior, divine mind, lurk, and ardent. One could also argue that, regarding classes, Player's Handbook 2 is more important than Complete Arcane, so it would be unfair not to include duskblade, knight, dragon shaman, and beguiler.

And it doesn't end there, because the warlock is just an aborted abomination, and its presence is an insult to all the other missing classes. So, to be fair to everyone, you should also add factotum, archivist, dread necromancer, binder, shadowcaster, truenamer, warblade, crusader, swordsage, totemist, incarnate, and soulborn.

I can live with artificer, dragonfire adept, marshal, and healer not on the list.

I liked this poll, but the presence of the warlock entirely ruined it and you should get banned.

Fighter but as contrarian as possible in video games, such as wearing only normal clothes and using a rapier while RPing as medieval Jason Bourne. I always wanted to try a spiked chain user in 3.5 but it never really panned out that way.

Codex Year of the Donut

0384295702515ade2bb220abf38bb5d5.jpg

Fucking ought to be. Get rid of the Ki bullshit and get some Mystery or Epiphany points in there. Make them another option for the face of the party alongside Bard and Paladin. High lore, high persuade. A class capable of intelligent conversation with princes and clergy alike.
clerics already fill this archetype

Absinthe

Arcane
Monks are pretty much D&D only, and a pretty bad class at that. They also don't belong in western fantasy, as those guys are clearly sooner Shaolin monks than any western monk.

At any rate, best class is really contingent on the game and how well it uses them. Usually fantasy games suffer from spellcaster supremacy though.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I've always been partial to clerics. Can mix it up in melee, use support or even offensive magic in some cases, and of course healing your bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom