Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats your favorite standard fantasy class?

Favorite standard fantasy class?

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classless > class-based

That said, I love wizards for their sheer versatility, and fighters for their equipment versatility - they can equip any armor and weapon with no restrictions.
Voted wizard.

Darkzone

Arcane
0384295702515ade2bb220abf38bb5d5.jpg

Fucking ought to be. Get rid of the Ki bullshit and get some Mystery or Epiphany points in there. Make them another option for the face of the party alongside Bard and Paladin. High lore, high persuade. A class capable of intelligent conversation with princes and clergy alike.
The KI (Chi, Qi) points name is give it a east asian touch, because the european monk is reflected by the Kleric ( monastic knights order ) and the Druid ( hermit ) type. East asian monks have become synonymous with martial arts, meditations and bodily exercises, while european monks were rather in conjunction with study and lore of epiphany. Overall people in modern times do not understand how of an important role the church played in conserving knowledge from the antiquity and the Roman Empire, like medicine, mathematics, philosopy, arts and law. But magic powers become more and more a problem in DnD games.
Your M/EPs is a good idea in my opinion and i would suggest to make "magic powers" corresponding to a type with less magic and more knowledge, with things like the "Holy Hand Grenade". And now imagine this guy blending you with his lantern magica and throwing a holy hand granade at you while chanting a gregorian song like "Da pacem Domine" or "Kyrie Eleison" or perhaps even better with a orthodox hymn:
220px-RWS_Tarot_09_Hermit.jpg

I begin to hate the magic in DnD and therefore only the Fighter or Rogue is a good choice. imho.

Paladin, especially with Lawful Good Genocidal alignment.

Or Fighter or Barbarian with some Rogue put in it.

Your M/EPs is a good idea in my opinion and i would suggest to make "magic powers" corresponding to a type with less magic and more knowledge, with things like the "Holy Hand Grenade".

That's more or less the idea I had. Technology focused, or the more long term (miraculous) sort of magic that could potentially save the day if the Monk spent enough time in contemplation, penance or doing charity out of combat, ideally mostly through roleplay. A class or subclass that could really shine when the chips are down rather than slapping band-aids on every cut, being a modest fighter in the meantime.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Classless > class-based

That said, I love wizards for their sheer versatility, and fighters for their equipment versatility - they can equip any armor and weapon with no restrictions.
Voted wizard.
What games makes classless actually work? It seems like a failure where people just become what would be default classes or close to them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
monk isn't a standard western fantasy class

Now that you mention it... Ye, i cant remember seeing it out of DnD. Still, for any of this to be actually fun, you need to take a commonly used roster of classes. And I cant imagine any other published roster hitting that mark closer than 3.5 DnD.
It's actually not even present in the AD&D2E PHB as a holdover from Gygax's original 2E designs. He planned on punting it to an Oriental-themed supplement and didn't believe it should be a 'core' class. It's in one his articles he published in Dragon.

[edit]
and if anyone is curious what a Gygax 2E might have looked like, there has been an attempt to summarize everything he's stated about it
https://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2009/02/16/ad-second-edition/
The monk class was introduced into original D&D in Suppliement II: Blackmoor, alongside the assassin, and carried over into Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st edition). It even made an appearance in BECMI D&D as the optional mystic class introduced in the "Black Box" Master Set (and was also included in the later Rules Cyclopedia compilation). However, the Oriental Adventures hardcover released in 1985 borrowed the monk class as well as adding a variety of new ones appropriate for a setting based on Japan and China, Gygax indicated he would not include the monk class in his prospective 2nd edition of AD&D, and David Zeb Cook (the author of Oriental Adventures) excluded it from the AD&D 2nd edition rules released in 1989.

Incidentally, the barbarian class was only introduced into AD&D via Unearthed Arcana in 1985 as an optional class alongside the cavalier and thief-acrobat, none of which were included in 2nd edition AD&D. :M

And I have no idea what a "sorcerer" or "warlock" are intended to represent as opposed to the magic-user class that was later renamed wizard.

Codex Year of the Donut
And I have no idea what a "sorcerer" or "warlock" are intended to represent as opposed to the magic-user class that was later renamed wizard.
https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/...&sid=14b0b845d6d7314cdfca9fd49aa67e20#p413862
Gary,

What in your mind is the difference between a sorcerer and a standard magic-user? In non-RPG usage sorcerer and wizard often mean the same thing, though sometimes sorcerer implies evil where wizard does not. (My dictionary defines sorcery as "the use of magic, esp. black magic.")
Heh, easy...

Sorcerers practice sorcery, that is the summoning of demons or devils. They have no magical power, inate or learned.

Cheerio,
Gary

Trithne

Erudite

Modern D&D divided MU up into Nerd, Rich Kid, and Loan Shark Victim.

Wizards learn to wield magic through years of study and training.

Sorcerors get to use magic because their grandad was a scalie.

Warlocks borrow magic from a nearby demon and assume it'll be fine in the end.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Whatever system lets me create some variation of Cugel is what I'm after.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My favorite character was a male dhampir pact wizard (Pathfinder : Kingmaker + races unleashed + call of the wild)
Sparkling vampire in a dress. You never disappoint.

Nope. Vampires should BURN while exposed on sunlight and take a lot of aggravated damage, not sparkle.

Anyway, VtMB is the best vampire game. Being a blood bender mage with a desert eagle sidearm firing .50 AE rounds into enemies was so cool
ComposedShadyInganue-size_restricted.gif

No, that is wrong in two ways.
1 - The relationship with the Warlock and his patron is like an master and apprentice. Not like a cleric and a deity and the patron can't revoke the warlock powers. It is that way since Witch class kit on 2E - Complete wizard handbook
2 - Warlocks can learn magic from any outsider patron. Not only "demons"

2E Complete Wizard handbook had Amazon Sorceress and Witch(Warlock for males) as Wizards kit. Wizards of The Coast probably realized that is more profitable to sell new classes over kits hence this are now classes
Yilr20M.png

What games makes classless actually work? It seems like a failure where people just become what would be default classes or close to them.

GURPS

vazha

Arcane
Class is easy. Crushmaster, obviously.
Now race is trickier. Torn between Rillow and Fjeldegug.

Trithne

Erudite

No, that is wrong in two ways.
1 - The relationship with the Warlock and his patron is like an master and apprentice. Not like a cleric and a deity and the patron can't revoke the warlock powers. It is that way since Witch class kit on 2E - Complete wizard handbook
2 - Warlocks can learn magic from any outsider patron. Not only "demons"

Screenshot_20210607-125505_Vivaldi.jpg

Ladonna

Arcane
Fighter.

The way CRPG's use them can be pretty banal. But the most fun I had in PnP was as a fighter trying to take down a big, mean Wizard. My character running around through his lair, trying to avoid his shit and using the environment while he basically dominated the floor whenever I poked my nose out. Still ended up killing him in the end. This was 2E.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bard first. I'm a musician irl, go figure.

But I'm also quite fond of priestly versatility and busywork, and the other magic classes (Druid and Mage) as well. I'm generally of the school of thought that says why do a thing with one click/button when you can do it with five :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom