Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

started using vlc 20 years ago, before divx would conquer everything. why would i change?

hello friend

Arcane
Intend to transition to some frankenstein mpc-be setup eventually, but for a while I've been using the preconfigured libmpv-based frontend bomi. It's fantastic, although sadly it doesn't appear to be actively maintained. If you just want to install something and spend no more than 5 minutes getting everything to your liking in program settings, bomi reigns supreme no contest. Ofc nothing beats a super customised mpc-be or mpv setup with the right plugins and settings, but that's a hassle and a half. Online installer no longer works, so for Windows the portable version is the way to go. I assume you could also build it yourself from source.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I use VLC for video types that I can't figure out how to play smoothly (with quick seeking) in MPC-HC with madVR, like WMV. I therefore hate WMV.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be a bit more on topic...

...i just watched this review and Mandalore manages to put a lot of information about the game in just ~15 minutes - in comparison GmanLives' video (which is the only other video i watched about the game) is both longer and tells much less about the game (which i increasingly find to be the case with his videos - they are somewhat funny, but not that informative).

As for the game i think i'll get it at some point in the future when they fix the bugs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You always know what to expect
Yes.
814b6873e3a3a797549140f24b805baa.jpg

deama

Prophet
I have some problem with mandalore, I watch him but not religiously like I do accursedfarms (Ross) for example, but exactly sure why as they're quite similar, I think mandalore has a problem where he can be too dry or something? I think his best video so far was empire earth, I've rewatched it like 4-5 times and still think it's one of his best, second best I would say were the recent thief games he's done (though I wish he covered the neu thief game).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Vlc has an atavic bug that was never addressed: it fucks up the position of the subtitles when a manual cropping that reduces the aspect ratio is active.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have some problem with mandalore, I watch him but not religiously like I do accursedfarms (Ross) for example, but exactly sure why as they're quite similar, I think mandalore has a problem where he can be too dry or something? I think his best video so far was empire earth, I've rewatched it like 4-5 times and still think it's one of his best, second best I would say were the recent thief games he's done (though I wish he covered the neu thief game).

Is this post real

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
oh my, literally worse than hitler.
Well, it's not literally Hitler. But for my personal usage, where I need to crop to different aspect ratios a lot of movies, with subtitles that go partly outside the visible screen, this is basicly the only reason I cannot use VLC.

Considering also that the bug is very simple (it just wrongly evaluate the position of the subtitle on the geometry of the non-cropped screen instead of the cropped one) and that it's 10+ year that has been identified but never solved, this is annoying.

But I agree, there are more annoying things than this. For example the fact that a lot of youtubers don't have the slightest idea how the aspect ratio works and fuck up continuosly when showing videos of retro gaming or old movies that use different ar than 16:9.

Gerrard

Arcane
I've been using MPC-HC+madVR for ages, but I recently came across some some BD rips where the CPU usage is getting ridiculous (>35% on 3570), I thought DXVA was supposed to offload most of this on the GPU.

Well, it's not literally Hitler. But for my personal usage, where I need to crop to different aspect ratios a lot of movies, with subtitles that go partly outside the visible screen, this is basicly the only reason I cannot use VLC.
the reason you cannot use vlc for something vlc hasn't been made for it's because you're trying to use vlc for something vlc hasn't been made for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom