Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Reinhardt

Arcane
Well... you've got 6 other heroines to choose from.
I only liked Senhime. And Amitos - her scene in Rance Quest was hilarious.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Senhime becomes single mother at the end of her route yet they don't even bother to show ending slide with the child like with Yamamoto Isoroku in SR

4KJkj9v.png

didn't even bother with other routes

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Rance IX – The Helmanian Revolution
Translation: 100%
Edit: 62%
It's moving somewhat at least, but a release this year is starting to look very unlikely.

Nahel

Arcane
I don't get why its so long. I get that Japanese is complicated but///

Manga gamer probably barely paying the one doing the editing

KingDoofus

Scholar
I wouldn't dispute that Mangagamer isn't paying their staff well, but you have to remember "editing" doesn't just mean editing the script. They're also editing images in the software so that the game's symbols are all in English and editing the game's code in case any problems arise while integrating a new language with wholly new characters. Rance 9 came out over 7 years ago and development on the game probably started years before that. We're looking at working with a game's code that's around 10 years old, written in a different language, developed by an small hentai company. Lack of proper funding probably is something to do with it, but... this shit be hard dude.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Also, they may have to redraw a few penises.

(That is not entirely a joke. Mangagamer de-censors the images in their games. One of their releases - Evenicle I think - had incredibly weird looking penises. Japanese artists know their drawings are going to be censored so they often don't spend much time or detail on penises. They were apparently so off putting, however, they asked one of their coders to go in and redraw the penises. Most unique delay a game has ever had)

Terra

Cipher
No doubt, I don't imagine there's much overlap between programmers & penis artists.

KingDoofus

Scholar
At this point Mangagamer's updates of "Edit: 62%" should probably just be replaced with "Editing penises: 62%"

Tyrr

Liturgist
I will add (translated) Rance X to the list of things I expect to be released before GRRM finishes the next book.

Tyrr

Liturgist
But I still plan to replay the translated titles before R9 is released.

Nostaljaded

Savant
..."editing" doesn't just mean editing the script... Rance 9 came out over 7 years ago and development on the game probably started years before that. We're looking at working with a game's code that's around 10 years old, written in a different language, developed by an small hentai company. Lack of proper funding probably is something to do with it, but... this shit be hard dude.

I would say MangaGamer's Alicesoft translation pace are more of staffing and/or rate of output issues, rather than being hard as they already have had the experience of a few translated titles.

Having a bigger team size [than the minimum for efficient workflow] will often only result in a later-than-expected earlier release and at higher costs.
Since post-release translation works are exclusive and have zero competition (after clinching the projects), managing costs rather than an earlier release date will be of higher importance.
Also, editing censored images, translating and programming can definitely be all worked on in parallel, if handled by different people.

Rance X Chinese edition was released 2 years and 4 months after the original.
Assuming the Chinese team is running lean (all the more probable to maximize profits), the English team is more likely understaffed and/or having a lower output pace.

Here's 1 of the many CGs in X that requires lots of translation, whereas IX only has to deal with characters and factions (more legible, larger-font-size) info dumps in CGs.
Gyp4LU5.jpg
xTwlt6i.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would say MangaGamer's Alicesoft translation pace are more of staffing and/or rate of output issues, rather than being hard as they already have had the experience of a few translated titles.
The translator who did all the previous rance translations quit after translating ~30% of rance X, claiming shit salary and general douchebaggery on mangagamers part. I think that was like 2 years ago, so it's been mostly at a standstill since then, only recently starting to move again (and from the translators twitter it doesn't seem like rance X is a fulltime occupation for him).

So you are probably not wrong about managing costs, but managing costs so hard that you can't find anyone to work for you seems a step too far.

Nostaljaded

Savant
With the recent release of Rance 4.1 & 4.2 Chinese fan translation, Chinese-translated Rance titles are now on par with Japanese counterparts.

As for English translations, IIRC Rance 03, IX & X are the remaining outstanding ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom