Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Ghost of Tsushima decline?
I don't want to come across as edgy as the "luj1" type, but it pretty much is decline, yes. But not in the obvious way, where it's a blatant decline of standards, but in a more shallow and perfidious way, where it takes the Ass Creed style of gameplay and perfects and adapts it to the Eastern/Feudal Japan setting.

I also don't want to turn this thread into a Ghost of Tsushima thread, but just because Dark Souls didn't sell in Japan, that doesn't mean people in Japan don't know what it is.
I live close to the Canadian capital, and I've had a brief interaction with one dignitary coming to visit Canada (this was before the pandemic) where he asked a group of people, that I was a part of, what messages do we have for important people in Japan.

When Dark Souls came up, the dignitary in question didn't bat an eye, and said half-jokingly that he will let Miyazaki know.

You think the director of Ghost of Tsushima has the same reputation? :P

Deflowerer

Arcane
I don't think Japanese companies decline quite the same way as western companies. Looking at the top selling games in Japan i don't see what From could do exactly to make their stuff sell more:

https://gamerant.com/japan-best-selling-games-2020-famitsu/

Is Ghost of Tsushima decline? It's the only game that is even remotely close to what From could do in that list and at 400 thousand copies sold it's not really that far off from the Souls game in terms of sales. I just checked and Dark Souls sold something like 2 million copies in Japan and 27 millions world wide.

It seems to me From really has nowhere to go. The only way to move up in terms of sales is to start making Animal Crossing shit and that stuff is already cornered by other companies.

Implying devs like FROM give a fuck about the Japanese market at this point. Besides some semi-religious franchises like Pokemon, MH, DQ, Super Mario and other Nintendo stuff, Japanese core gaming market is dead and no serious AA and up dev will focus his efforts on Japanese market first and foremost.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't think Japanese companies decline quite the same way as western companies. Looking at the top selling games in Japan i don't see what From could do exactly to make their stuff sell more:

Is Ghost of Tsushima decline? It's the only game that is even remotely close to what From could do in that list and at 400 thousand copies sold it's not really that far off from the Souls game in terms of sales. I just checked and Dark Souls sold something like 2 million copies in Japan and 27 millions world wide.

It seems to me From really has nowhere to go. The only way to move up in terms of sales is to start making Animal Crossing shit and that stuff is already cornered by other companies.

Implying devs like FROM give a fuck about the Japanese market at this point. Besides some semi-religious franchises like Pokemon, MH, DQ, Super Mario and other Nintendo stuff, Japanese core gaming market is dead and no serious AA and up dev will focus his efforts on Japanese market first and foremost.
Is it really dead or did the JP market just stop catering to them? I've heard that PC and Xbox gaming is on the rise in Japan and seen some comments of disgruntled JPs complaining that they wish they could buy games but everything is either gacha shit or Sonyshit which is all catered to westerners now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/05/06/e3-2021-confirms-square-enix-gearbox-sega-and-more

Even though E3 2021 will be digital this year due to lingering COVID-19 concerns, that doesn't mean that there won't be a few surprises to be had. ESA has confirmed even more companies that are joining the E3 lineup this year, including the following companies:
  • Square Enix
  • Bandai Namco Entertainment
  • Gearbox Entertainment
  • Verizon, Freedom Games
  • Devious Eye Entertainment
  • Turtle Beach
  • Verizon
  • Binge
  • XSEED Games

Tyrr

Liturgist
What you you think will be released first: Elden Ring or The Winds of Winter?

DemonKing

Arcane

Elden Ring because they're just paying for the use of GRR's name which requires minimal effort on his behalf and other people are actually doing the work.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
grm4xh1zju271.jpg

sorry guys who came for the update

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is it really dead or did the JP market just stop catering to them? I've heard that PC and Xbox gaming is on the rise in Japan and seen some comments of disgruntled JPs complaining that they wish they could buy games but everything is either gacha shit or Sonyshit which is all catered to westerners now.
For some reason this reminds me of the state of pc gaming 15 years ago.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://wccftech.com/elden-ring-will-be-part-of-summer-game-fest-2021-rumor/

Elden Ring Will Be Part Of Summer Game Fest 2021 – Rumor
By Francesco De Meo
Jun 4, 2021 06:26 EDT
SHARE TWEET SUBMIT

Elden Ring, From Software's next big title, is going to be part of Summer Game Fest 2021, according to rumors.

Speaking on his Game Mess Show, Jeff Grubb revealed that the From Software game will be part of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest 2021, which is set to kick off on June 10th. This is somewhat unexpected, as Elden Ring has been originally revealed during Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference, and the company has all marketing rights for the game. As Microsoft is pushing its Xbox Game Pass hard, there's a very good chance that the conference will be mostly focused on games that will be part of the subscription service at launch.

Elden Ring Will Only Feature One Type of Mount – Rumor

The fact that Elden Ring news is on the horizon has been highlighted a few days ago by Omnipotent, a very reliable insider who has talked at length about the game in the past few months. The last piece of information the insider confirmed is that the game will feature only one type of mount.

Our only look at Elden Ring came earlier this year with a leaked trailer that was meant only for internal use. Despite it showing off an old build of the game, the trailer provided a good look at some of the game's central locations, as revealed by Chinese content creator Longqi Bangbangtang.

• That giant tree is the world tree he mentioned before, but it is only located in a certain kingdom and is not used to connect the whole world like the new God of war.

• The narrator of the trailer is an NPC in the game, and he shares the same voice actor with Patches.

• The castle at the beginning of the trailer is located in one kingdom, and the snow scene at the end is located in another kingdom. The character standing in the night is similar to the xanthous king.

• Giant who pulling a wagon is a reference to the Green man in Celtic mythology. That wagon must be pulled by these giants to move.

• The scene where the giant head is located may be a reference to Muspelheim in Norse mythology.

• Given that FS designed the bosses and the maps firstly, and designed the NPC and the player then, so the appearance of the bosses supposed not to change, but the location may change (In Project Beast, daughter of the cosmos appeared in the church)
Elden Ring is currently in development for PC and consoles. A final release date has yet to be confirmed.

The Japanese market, the audience, shifted over to mobile phone games from the sound of it...and before that it seems they'd shifted over to handhelds, specifically Nintendo's, which is most likely why Nintendo folded their handled and home console market into one with the Switch.

It sounds like while whatever the fuck they're calling the new Xbox was doing better in Japan than normal, it's also not exactly doing great; I think some people were just playing that up because of the dumb shit Sony was doing, like "Oh no, Sony is in trouble now for all their dumb nonsense" but truth is Sony doesn't seem to be in any danger from Microsoft in Japan at the moment. There do seem to be developers pissed off about Sony's bullshit, but I think they might all be smaller developers too.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Elden Ring because they're just paying for the use of GRR's name which requires minimal effort on his behalf and other people are actually doing the work.

If GRRM did anything, it was high level world, plot, and character design at the very start. If even that. I doubt he's writing dialog or quests.

I mean, Tom Clancy had jack shit to do with any of his games, and they are still using his name for some reason, 17 years after he died.

ADL

Prophet
Just realized that From Software spent Miura's final years collaborating with GRRM instead of creating the ultimate Berserk game. Fuck this timeline.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Never thought about it before, but GRRM and Miura have quite a lot in common, actually. Both are purveyors of edgy boy, dark fantasy works that will forever remain unfinished. At least Miura wasn't fat.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just realized that From Software spent Miura's final years collaborating with GRRM instead of creating the ultimate Berserk game. Fuck this timeline.

For all we know they approached him and he turned them down. From what i understand the guy could barely cope with the work he had anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom