Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Olympus 2207 - fan-made Fallout total conversion

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Oh, cool, so I was just in time to play Olympus before they decided to fix some of the stuff. As usual, perfect timing

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
- weapons in Olympus have more pronounced STR requirements. Pistols up to 5, SMGs up to 5, ARs up to 7, and such. Though accuracy penalty is not that harsh as in Underrail, for example, it's still here
- item weight is a problem. Every item has a weight, even stimpacks and other drugs. Forget about carrying 45 stimpacks on you at all times, here this stuff will greatly weight you down
- better weapons and armors are level capped and become available only after lvl 9 or so
- the crucial piece of apparel is eco-protection suit that gives you good rad resistance and makes travel less of a hassle. It's appearance is level capped as well
- game is stingy with money. I'm roughly at the midgame or past it and still poor as fuck. Not too much loot to profit, actually; I'm not strong enough to farm high-end enemies and low level enemies won't provide enough loot to cover the ammo cost. So, it seems that Barter is actually useful; or Pickpocket, I didn't invest in it
- anyway, getting good weapons isn't a problem - buying ammo for them is. Good ammo is expensive and scarce, cheap ammo stays more or less viable only for full-auto guns
- seems that going melee is a good choice. Although it removes the ammo problem and allows you to deal decent damage, you will take a shitton of damage as well. Good armor and stimpacks are rare, enemies are buffed up: I encounter enemies with more sequence than me and some critters spot me with my 75% Stealth half of the map away; they hit hard as well
- as for skills:
First Aid and Doctor may come in handy since stimpacks are not very common
Stealth is less useful due to boosted detection of enemies
Lockpick helps. There are a lot of goodies locked up in various places
Pickpocket may be useful, haven't tested properly
Traps is trash as usual
Science needed on rare occasions
Repair seems to be useful only for crafting and I haven't crafted a single decent item yet. No ammo crafting as well
Speech helps; although thresholds are high sometimes
Casanova, lol, seems it's used only for larping
Barter, see above
Outdoorsman helps too, you may want to skip some encounters to save ammo or simply survive

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ol' Willy

Where you got the version you are playing?
It looks like Olympus is much harder than Nevada and 1.5, so it might be a good idea to check it out, see if it's worth playing or not (if I want to be nuked I'll play a roguelike, not this).
:timetoburn:
No point in waiting for the translation if it's not my cup of tea.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I will keep bitching about the weapon progression in Olympus. I'm couple of quests away from the endboss and I'm still using Sniper Pistol that I found very early in the game: it's good enough for long- and mid-range encounters, but useless at close range due to scope penalty. For close range I could still be using that 9mm SMG that I stole in the prologue, but I switched solely because I wanted to try some more weapons.

It's not like the weapons are hard to get. There are lot of cool and interesting weapons available: from traders, loot, as quest rewards or at dungeons, but there are two problems. STR requirements are really high, there are rifles and shotguns with 9 STR req., one machine gun with 10; some pistols with 6, and most ARs have 7. Traditionally in Fallout, STR is a dump stat for a gunslinger or sniper, you keep it below 5 unless you opt for Heavy-Weapons build. Here, it's not the case. My advice, don't dump STR.

Second problem is the ammo. Ammo is really scarce and the fact that there is a lot of different types of it doesn't help. Traders sell too little (and quite expensive, though by now I have enough loot to buy whatever I need), NPCs don't drop enough and you can't craft it. Handmade ammo is more available but it's trash, as I said earlier. Batteries are actually easier to come by, but this requires opting for Energy Weapons from the very start since leveling up entire skill in the late game requires too much of slow grind. Carrying too many different guns with me is not an option because of the weight problem. Traders are spaced too far away and trading-runs a-la Underrail are too slow to undertake; also, no car.

Also, lol, handmade ammo has no weight. Will probably get fixed.

Second problem is the armor. By now, I carry around three different suits of armor. Eco-protection suit because it's the only one type of armor that protects you against the overreaching radiation; Scout-armor because it allows me to get into Olympus building; local version of Power Armor because it's awesome and has STR enhancement. You want to travel around in PA to carry more stuff and be better protected, but by this you will get constantly irradiated. This is annoying to say the least.

My advice for the devs would be: add a car; give traders more ammo to sell; uncouple Olympus friend-foe recognition from the Scout Armor/Robe and replace it with some kind of passkey; give more Radiation Resistance to the Power Armor.

As for the difficulty, 1.5 is still the most difficult Fallout TC; I will put Olympus somewhere between Sonora and vanilla midgame Fallout 2.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
At last, I went to fight endboss, at lvl 14 and with my trusty Sniper Pistol. That didn't go well - I was slaughtered rather quickly and pistol didn't quite cut it in terms of damage. So I went back: farmed some random encounters and got lvl 15, took Bonus Rate of Fire - meaning that I finally can make two aimed shots per turn; bought myself a proper Sniper Rifle with much better damage and enough ammo for it (took around four visits of raiders' trader while I was roaming around). Before entering the boss room I prebuffed on whatever drugs I had and voila - it went very smooth this time. Basically, there's four turrets that hit hard but also enough columns that give you excellent cover; boss summits one PA trooper (only one) who should be dispatched quickly, and from then on, it's just a matter of time. Endboss himself went down with just one burst from AR.

Overall, I would rate Olympus as a mixed bag.

Good sides:
- it looks absolutely gorgeous
- interesting worldmap design with end-location in the middle and the rest around it
- combat starts out interesting, but later one gets repetitive anyway
- doesn't try to ride Fallout coattails
- writing could be amusing at times. Will probably be wrecked by translation
- grenades are actually a viable weapon now (didn't use them but it's obvious)

Bad sides:
- most of the quests are fetch quests
- meh weapon progression
- annoying radiation everywhere
- writing could be cringey at times
- rushed end-section (classic stuff)
- crafting is near useless

Wunderbar

Arcane
The sequel is alive.

- it'll be a fully 3D, turn-based, isometric rpg, powered by unreal engine 4;.
- will feature an "alignment" system. There are five "worldviews" in the game (asshole, rascal, neutral, positive and moralfag), and your choices will affect all of the dialogue options. I.e. if your character is an asshole, you're locked into being an asshole and won't be able to pick friendly speech lines. Alignment will dynamically change as you progress through the game;
- the new rpg system was designed by the same guy who came up with olympus 2207's constant radiation poisoning, so expect the game to be quite punishing;
- high lethality combat with hard counters. You'll be killed in one shot if you're unprepared, but on the other hand a good armor can make you impervious to a small caliber fire;
- release date is TBD, because the devs are making the game in their spare time. The plan is to complete the first town, polish it, and release as a free demo. All of the game systems are in place, it's the content department where the game currently lacks.

ScreenShot00014-1.png

ScreenShot00004.png

ScreenShot00034.png

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The sequel is alive.

- will feature an "alignment" system. There are five "worldviews" in the game (asshole, rascal, neutral, positive and moralfag), and your choices will affect all of the dialogue options. I.e. if your character is an asshole, you're locked into being an asshole and won't be able to pick friendly speech lines. Alignment will dynamically change as you progress through the game;
- the new rpg system was designed by the same guy who came up with olympus 2207's constant radiation poisoning, so expect the game to be quite punishing;
- high lethality combat with hard counters. You'll be killed in one shot if you're unprepared, but on the other hand a good armor can make you impervious to a small caliber fire;
- release date is TBD, because the devs are making the game in their spare time. The plan is to complete the first town, polish it, and release as a free demo. All of the game systems are in place, it's the content department where the game currently lacks.

ScreenShot00014-1.png

ScreenShot00004.png

ScreenShot00034.png
I have been wondering if they were covertly working on a sequel. The team's artist has posted a lot of the assets he's done for both Olympus and their Fallout games on his DA page, and some of them just didn't line up with their existing projects.
ddplsum-e279d89f-6710-48b2-a990-8304d631a4bb.gif

ddpie2x-3cdc1a33-2a9e-4250-98fb-9107d7e88afb.gif

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does it support modern widescreen aspect ratios? Note that I don’t mean playing in 1080p, but rather a 16:9 resolution like 960x540

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does it support modern widescreen aspect ratios? Note that I don’t mean playing in 1080p, but rather a 16:9 resolution like 960x540

of course. it relies on the widescreen fix supplied with digital versions of fallout 2.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The sequel is alive.

ScreenShot00014-1.png

ScreenShot00004.png

ScreenShot00034.png
I have been wondering if they were covertly working on a sequel. The team's artist has posted a lot of the assets he's done for both Olympus and their Fallout games on his DA page, and some of them just didn't line up with their existing projects.
ddplsum-e279d89f-6710-48b2-a990-8304d631a4bb.gif

ddpie2x-3cdc1a33-2a9e-4250-98fb-9107d7e88afb.gif
The sequel is called Olympus 2249. It's made in UE4. Check out their website!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seems like there will be something to play while waiting for Sonora...
Still surprised what took so long to find and translate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom