Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gargaune

Magister
One thing about this thread is that it seems to be all about bugs, graphics and writing. Yeah, they're all matter of concern.

But where's the thread about gameplay and how awful it is, and how it is not being fixed? Is the Codex consensus really that this game is good from a gameplay standpoint and all that it needs is an upgrade on narrative and fixes on glitches?
Not sure which thread you've been reading 'cause a bunch of us have been going round in circles about the progression system, level design, itemisation etc. The general consensus is "pretty Action, crap RPG."

KVVRR

Learned
One thing about this thread is that it seems to be all about bugs, graphics and writing. Yeah, they're all matter of concern.

But where's the thread about gameplay and how awful it is, and how it is not being fixed? Is the Codex consensus really that this game is good from a gameplay standpoint and all that it needs is an upgrade on narrative and fixes on glitches?
The pew pew bang bang worked well enough for me, of course it could be better but from a combat perspective "it works" is already better than most RPGs out there.
I can deal with subpar gameplay if the story is good. I can't deal with decent gameplay if the story's bad, however.

Danikas

Arcane

Gameplay wise this is the best game they did combat in Witcher games always felt like a chore you have to get through in order to reach the good parts. Combat in Cyberpunk is actually fun and I wouldnt mind a co-op wave defence mode. This is how it look's, dont mind my shitty aim.

Zer0wing

Cipher
No wonder the team responsible for this got canned looks worse than witcher 2 alpha from 2009 .
The aurora engine Witcher 2 alpha is more complete than this CP2077 2013 alpha. That one really is a proof of concept, there's barely any assets modeled.

THis one should be instead of E3 2019 trailer

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
2013 pre-alpha gameplay

that's really interesting. yeah it looks bad because it's pre alpha but it also looks much more like an rpg than the eurojank far cry we ended up with. dare i say it, i think it look like it had much more of a soul before the retard badowski took over and ruined everything.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
..videos..

You forgot these :-P

The 2013 prealpha video is interesting... and i'm sad i never actually got to see the game in person, though it had to be extremely early in development because the one i remember seeing had no textures at all (and was in first person and actually had some gameplay going on).

EDIT: the videos were removed but you can find them everywhere anyway

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane

Gameplay wise this is the best game they did combat in Witcher games always felt like a chore you have to get through in order to reach the good parts. Combat in Cyberpunk is actually fun and I wouldnt mind a co-op wave defence mode. This is how it look's, dont mind my shitty aim.

I agree, although anything is an improvement from watching Geralt do that gay ass spin attack every 2 seconds

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity

Gameplay is good for an RPG (then again I did fine with Fallout/Oblivion/Vampire combat) story is fine and cinematic. It really needed 2-3 years of development. I bet more quests were supposed to be more open like the Maelstrom quest but quickly they were forced to start chopping and rushing.

CDPR's project leads and managers are clearly greedy trash. They really could've tried to take on the giants if they they were smart. They could've floated by for 2 more years on Witcher sales while working on this

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
7304A1F254727897C6156DEEC2CFB18B2E1E6253

Zeriel

Arcane
2013 pre-alpha gameplay

that's really interesting. yeah it looks bad because it's pre alpha but it also looks much more like an rpg than the eurojank far cry we ended up with. dare i say it, i think it look like it had much more of a soul before the retard badowski took over and ruined everything.

It matches the rumors about the dev teams. The 2013-2016 version was supposed to be non-linear and be about branching storylines, then the executives had the brilliant idea to make two dev teams compete against each other to provide the better pitch and they trashed the work of the Witcher 3 devs.

The bigger concern I'd have if I gave a shit about CDPR (I don't) is whether they any longer have the capability to deliver on their plans. It's looking more and more like a Bioware/Andromeda situation where poor management has led to enough staff attrition that they no longer have the important engine staff who know how to do the grand stuff the executives dream about doing.

Ironically, they apparently hired a bunch of Andromeda devs to work on Cyberpunk...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
2013 pre-alpha gameplay

It matches the rumors about the dev teams. The 2013-2016 version was supposed to be non-linear and be about branching storylines, then the executives had the brilliant idea to make two dev teams compete against each other to provide the better pitch and they trashed the work of the Witcher 3 devs.

The bigger concern I'd have if I gave a shit about CDPR (I don't) is whether they any longer have the capability to deliver on their plans. It's looking more and more like a Bioware/Andromeda situation where poor management has led to enough staff attrition that they no longer have the important engine staff who know how to do the grand stuff the executives dream about doing.

Ironically, they apparently hired a bunch of Andromeda devs to work on Cyberpunk...

Them replacing the devs with losers from BioWare is the most alarming thing.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ds-to-roll-after-6-2-billion-cyberpunk-fiasco

Activist Investor Wants Heads to Roll After $6.2 Billion Cyberpunk Fiasco
By
Maciej Martewicz
June 7, 2021, 1:00 AM GMT-3 Updated on June 7, 2021, 7:55 AM GMT-3

An activist investor in CD Projekt SA wants to oust the top executives of Poland’s largest gaming studio for the botched release of the Cyberpunk 2077 title that wiped out more than half of the company’s value.

U.K.-based Abri Advisors, which didn’t specify how big a stake it holds in CD Projekt, wrote to the studio’s board expressing “utter dismay and disbelief with developments at the company over the last 12 months” on behalf of all shareholders.

CD Projekt hyped Cyberpunk as the next global blockbuster and one of the most sophisticated role-playing games ever. Keanu Reeves starred in and advertised the futuristic dystopia while Elon Musk tweeted about it.

But the game’s complexity appears to have overwhelmed the studio. Its release was postponed three times and when it finally came out in December, it was so riddled with glitches that Sony Group Corp. was forced to remove it from its online PlayStation store and offer clients a refund.

Nearly half a year later, after repeated fixes and apologies by CD Projekt, as well as a hacking incident which delayed work, the game still hasn’t been reinstated by Sony. Since Cyberpunk’s debut, the studio’s stock has lost 57%, erasing 22.6 billion zloty ($6.2 billion) in value.

200x-1.jpg

Keanu Reeves voiced character Johnny Silverhands in Cyberpunk 2077.

Source: CD Projekt SA

“I don’t think you could have intentionally tried to make so many mistakes as these guys have made,” Abri’s Chief Executive Office Jeffrey Tirman said in an interview. “It’s really shocking.”

He said he’d solicit other shareholders to replace the supervisory board unless CEO Adam Kicinski and his deputy, Marcin Iwinski, are recalled immediately. Abri, which doesn’t disclose its shareholdings to Bloomberg or any other data providers, is “adding” to its CD Projekt position and isn’t shorting the stock, according to Tirman.

Pushing through changes at CD Projekt is set to be a difficult task. The company’s bylaws specify that a three-fifth majority among shareholders is required to remove supervisory board members.

Furthermore, the current executives -- along the CEO’s brother and co-founder Michal Kicinski -- jointly own at least 34% of CD Projekt and therefore play a large role in selecting the supervisory board. The biggest financial investor is NN Group NV’s Polish pension fund, with a 4.2% stake at end of last year, according to Bloomberg data.

The Warsaw-based studio, known for its Witcher medieval fantasy games, said it’s aware of the correspondence and will coordinate its response with Supervisory Board Chair Katarzyna Szwarc. It said that none of the issues raised in the letter were mentioned during its annual shareholder meeting on May 25, for which Abri didn’t register.

Replay Button
Tirman said Abri didn’t take part because he hoped the board would take actions to “correct the ship, instead of just hitting the replay button.” The last straws for him were the company’s first-quarter results and the board’s reinstating of the management team.

After reporting record profit of 1.15 billion zloty for 2020, fueled by Cyberpunk pre-orders and early sales, the company’s first-quarter net income missed the average analyst estimate by 62%, highlighting the company’s troubles with attracting gamers.

Despite a budget of 1.2 billion zloty, Cyberpunk lost its allure after players complained about glitches, especially in console versions. The company didn’t report the game’s sales figures for the first quarter, saying no milestones were reached after it sold 13.7 million copes last year -- compared with 28 million of its latest edition of Witcher.

Tirman, who is also the CEO of Slovenian sports gear manufacturer Elan d.o.o., wants to know how the studio plans to recover.

“I would like the company to put forward a public plan as to how it intends to address all of the shortcomings and how it plans, from a strategic perspective, to repair its brand and trust that’s been lost among its client base and its shareholder base,” he said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom