Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Olympus 2207 speaks the English now

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 2; Olymp Tower; Olympus 2207

Olympus 2207, which is a total conversion for Fallout 2, updated yesterday with an English localization. Here's some juice on what we've been missing not speaking Russian:

• Choose a skin color instead of a gender. This affects possible ways of solving some quests.
  • The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system is modified. Changes include: rebalancing the influence of characteristics and skills on gameplay, the skill “Gambling” is replaced by “Casanova” – the ability to convince women, the perk “Sexual Attraction” is replaced by “Mechanical Memory” – automatic growth of skills depending on their use. (The rights to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. role system belong to their owners.)
  • Three stages in the life of the main character: age 7, age 17, age 20. The first two stages are tutorial and can be skipped.
  • Crafting system.
  • Build weapons from parts using workbenches. Keep in mind that there is no wear and tear of equipment in the game.
  • Mini-game for hacking electronic panels. Way to go if your electronics hacking skill is too low, or if you want to gain additional experience.
  • Simulation of the life of the NPC.
  • No “Main Quest”. You choose your own goal in the game! Do you want to become the tyrant of Radius, or do you want to improve the lives of everyone in it? The choice is yours!

Stages of life can be a fairly interesting thing in a game, though I'm not sure there's much "stage of life" difference between 17 and 20. At least, not as dramatic as the difference between 7 and 17.

Thanks, FEDSMOKER!

Last edited by a moderator:

Drowed

Arcane
As I'm sure this translation will still have several bugs and tweaks, I'll wait a few months before jumping in to see if it's really interesting.

deuxhero

Arcane
What's the install instructions? Is it just running the EXE with Fallout 2 installed, or will I need to do something to Fallout 2 (such as high res patch) first?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the install instructions? Is it just running the EXE with Fallout 2 installed, or will I need to do something to Fallout 2 (such as high res patch) first?

it installs directly into the main directory of your gog or steam version of fallout 2. however, unlike nevada or resurrection, it overrides the main game files instead of creating its own sub-directory, so i highly suggest installing a additional copy of fallout 2 if you already have one with fo: nevada or whatever installed

also, it asks you to install outside of program files. i have a copy of fallout 2 meant for olympus 2207 in C:\Games\fallout2_gogver

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
that comes pre-installed with the gog or steam version of the game. if you have a retail copy, you need to install that

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Fallout total conversions seem to have a pretty disappointing history but sooner or later someone seems bound to finally produce a good one. Hopefully this is it.
Disagree, both Nevada and Ressurection were a lot of fun for me, much more than i.e. Pillars of Eternity 1. Various other projects and demos also.
Will go in dry as soon as I have the time, maybe for a cha bulid.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout total conversions seem to have a pretty disappointing history but sooner or later someone seems bound to finally produce a good one. Hopefully this is it.
Also keep an eye out for Fallout: Yesterday
(Van Buren TC for FO2) it has a demo released

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't know about Olympus, but Nevada is really good.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Can someone re-upload the file somewhere? The google drive link they have on their site is dead because of too much traffic.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've seen a review of this a while back
Cool premise, but apparently the main quest design and writing are generally bad
But everything else seems solid enough to warrant a playthrough

Drowed

Arcane
Cool premise, but apparently the main quest design and writing are generally bad

Writing is something that can be saved in a translation, sometimes a good translator can make the text sound way better than the original. There's not much that can be done about the plot itself, obviously, but a good choice of words for the dialogues already weighs a lot.

That said, 90% of the time it's exactly the opposite that happens - the translation crushes the original. But we'll see, after all, these are amateurs translating amateur work, anything is possible.

oscar

Arcane
A few hours in and this is pretty good so far. I think making an original setting was definitely the right move instead of awkwardly trying to jam something into the overcrowded Fallout canon. Very very polished (great intro movies, music and UI). These guys are obviously masters of using this engine to its utmost. Writing is quite solid so far. Colour me impressed (speaking of which amusingly some dialogue seems to go differently depending on whether you're black or white).

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
oscar
Wasteland Merc was dreadful (if the creator is reading this, sorry. I tried to enjoy this mod), imho, but there's some TC mods worth checking out, for (90's) Fallout players. RetrospectiveGaming has some videos about some of them. I'd have a look.

also, it asks you to install outside of program files. i have a copy of fallout 2 meant for olympus 2207 in C:\Games\fallout2_gogver
This is a good thing. You might very well have problems, down the road, if you leave the installation directory at the default address - I wish a Bethesda programmer had fixed this part of the game setup (but to be fair, it's been some time since I used Steam installer for this game, perhaps they did something about it).

jac8awol

Arbiter

Writing is something that can be saved in a translation, sometimes a good translator can make the text sound way better than the original. There's not much that can be done about the plot itself, obviously, but a good choice of words for the dialogues already weighs a lot.

That said, 90% of the time it's exactly the opposite that happens - the translation crushes the original. But we'll see, after all, these are amateurs translating amateur work, anything is possible.

Have to totally second this. I'm very skeptical about Russian games with sketchy translations. Sometimes they work out well enough but often enough you talk to a character who speaks in some weird metaphysical pondering and I can only assume it's russian phrases that haven't been translated well. I got this in Atom and Ash of Gods and it makes the game feel too cartoony.
That said, sometimes the Fallout setting is zany enough for it to fit, and I had a good time in Nevada and Resurrection.

Wunderbar

Arcane
No “Main Quest”. You choose your own goal in the game! Do you want to become the tyrant of Radius, or do you want to improve the lives of everyone in it? The choice is yours!

This seems overly ambitious. How that works in practice?
it doesn't.
You stumble around aimlessly, and then the game just sort of ends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom