Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

DaveO

Erudite
More update on the Phantasie module I'm playing. The good things are that it does have some atmosphere and the Black Knights are quite easily avoidable to not lose any gold. I'll update my Thief's tactics. He's gettting himself killed far too often.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
i've LP'd several modules on my yt channel, some of which are completed and some requiring more playtime. however, i've downloaded over 300 quality modules so far, so if anyone has any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them (if i can).

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
here's a few i've completed that i recommend.

Triangles Of Fate. a bit rough around the edges but not too much so. somewhat linear but gets progressively more interesting and challenging as u move on. some cool loot and such, good combat and solid enough story.

Pool Of Radiance. faithful remake of the gold box game. it's a bit quicker to get thru due to the 3rd person perspective but it's a lot of fun and sticks to the script. challenging with good progression and some openness to explore outdoors as well.

Against The Cult Of The Reptile God. fun tabletop adaptation. hits all the right notes and has some interesting features with NPCs, locations and so on. not the most challenging one but definitely one with a fun story to play through.

Beneath The Spine Part 1. Linear but fun Icewind Dale-like romp through the icy north. Solidly made with plenty of challenging combat and cool locations to traverse. Looking forward to playing the 2nd and 3rd parts sometime with an imported character.

Tortured Hearts. took me about 100 hours to finish, a behemoth of interesting quests and adventure-style RPGing. Full party support, deep dungeon delves and tons of great item puzzles and clever mechanics. Play with a friend who can look at the spoiler guide and give u a tip if u get stuck (it's quite easy to miss things, be very thorough but yeah, play with a friend like i did. helps a lot.)

The Prophet Series. this is by-far one of the most amazing experiences I've had in RPG gaming. I am deep in the final chapter (3) and took a hiatus but will return at some point. An amazing story, plenty of very interesting encounters and story cutscenes. Trust me, u want to play this, the gameplay is great but that story is something else.

Revenant. I haven't completed this yet, either, but it's got a bunch of new, interesting mechanics and a very unique premise of playing an undead. Great story hooks and investigative style clue finding, overall a lot of fun.

Lankhmar Nights. Finally, another great module that completely remakes everything dang near. New icons, tilesets, new overall look and world to explore, complete with very deep lore and a really interesting urban setting full of surprises. check this one out for sure.

there's others i recommend but i don't want to type about every single module i've played. A few of the Temple Of Elemental Evil modules are good, one where u can play obscure races like the sverfneblin (deep dwarves) which i made a character of. There's so many good modules out there to find, I can also recommend some I haven't played but look interesting and are on my "to play" list. Hope this helps! <3

DaveO

Erudite
I'll have to post my thoughts once I get further into the Phantasie module I'm playing. Just getting past the first dungeon is not going to be the best impression.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
rogueknight what you think about rogue/fighter/blackguard dual wielding shortswords?

In general or for Swordflight in particular? STR or DEX-based? Primarily a Rogue with a few warrior levels for expanded combat capability, primarily a Fighter/Blackguard with a few Rogue levels for skill dumps, or more or less evenly divided?

Regardless of the answers to the above, Rogue/Warrior combos tend to be a solid and versatile choice, and Rog/Ftr/Blk is not really an exception. The main disadvantage compared to a Rog/Ftr is that you will need some Charisma to take advantage of Blackguard capabilities, and, if DEX-based, enough Strength to get Power Attack/Cleave, so it will be less min-maxed (though this also somewhat enhances your versatility).

Dual-wielding works well with builds that gain special bonuses to every attack, such as Sneak Attack or Divine Might, and a Rog/Blk can have both. The downside is that it requires a lot of feats, and so almost requires Fighter, COT or Ranger levels, and precludes using a shield, hurting your AC quite a lot. Thus, it works best if you take a third class with extra defensive capability, such as Shadowdancer for HiPS, allowing you to easily retreat into stealth as needed - but that does not work in this case since all three class slots are filled. Unlike two-handed weapons, however, you do have the option of switching to sword and shield in cases where you really need extra defence, and Blackguard also gives you access to Divine Shield. If you also go DEX-based you will have better AC, but that requires Weapon Finesse, so that means even more feats to fit in somewhere. You probably cannot easily fit in Knockdown feats, and have no HiPS either, so generating the conditions for Sneak Attacks will be tricky (though it can still be done with advanced tactics like running around a corner and going into stealth for simulated HiPS). You are probably going to need to take a good number of Fighter levels early on to get all the feats you need, while focusing more on Rogue/Blackguard levels later.

It could certainly work, but is probably not the easiest class combination to play.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Lankhmar Nights was brilliant but buggy, or at least the version I played about 4 years ago. I'm sure it's improved a bit but the author had to do some major overhauls just to make it playable, I think, like removing all the surrender scripts. Then there was the faction bugs that would cause Fafhrd to go berserk and murder every man, woman, mouser and tranny he saw, and this in important quests where you had to talk to him to progress. But a great module!.. when it worked. Huzzah.

Mud'

Scholar
So i never played NW2 but i am about to do it.

What are the main difference between NW1 and NW2 mechanics wise?

I am mainly going to install NW2 because i want to play BG1:Reloaded (because for the life of me i cant never finish the damn game in the IE), so how is that module? Is it a good remake?

Gargaune

Magister
So i never played NW2 but i am about to do it.

What are the main difference between NW1 and NW2 mechanics wise?

I am mainly going to install NW2 because i want to play BG1:Reloaded (because for the life of me i cant never finish the damn game in the IE), so how is that module? Is it a good remake?
The biggest difference is that NWN2 gives you a full party but with some significant caveats around the control scheme. Check out my NWN2 guide for how to best deal with it, and there's also a section on how to set up and what to expect from Baldur's Gate: Reloaded.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Also, NWN2 was much more difficult to make modules for using its toolset, or so I heard. Tis a pity because the engine/graphics was a nice improvement over NWN1 but the community of active authors was only a fraction of the size of NWN1's because of its more difficult, less stable construction set. But most of the best module authors from NWN1 persevered and went on to make new modules/remakes in NWN2, though I think it took at least 3 times as long.

Gargaune

Magister
Does NWN2 have THE most ugly armor design in the history of fantasy games? Are there any mods that replace vanilla armors with something more pleasant to look at? I'm giving BGR a spin and boy did I memoryholed how ugly the armor in NWN2 is. All I've found is this https://neverwintervault.org/projec...rmors-hairstyles-and-weapons-override-version but it doesn't seem to override the vanilla models just add new ones.
I actually thought some of NWN2's armour designs were quite nice in a semi-realistic sense. BGR also adds a handful of cool new models, like what you can see on the Amnian soldiers down in Nashkel.

But as to your question, I'm not aware of a makeover mod. If you find a piece you'd like to hold on to for a long while you could make your own version of it in the toolset and spawn it in, but it's time-consuming. Very easy to figure out but setting the tints is exceptionally tedious, partly because of the dumb UI and partly because Obsidian didn't have the good sense to use a common grey baseline for the diffuse maps.

Robber Baron

Savant
I actually thought some of NWN2's armour designs were quite nice in a semi-realistic sense. BGR also adds a handful of cool new models, like what you can see on the Amnian soldiers down in Nashkel.

But as to your question, I'm not aware of a makeover mod. If you find a piece you'd like to hold on to for a long while you could make your own version of it in the toolset and spawn it in, but it's time-consuming. Very easy to figure out but setting the tints is exceptionally tedious, partly because of the dumb UI and partly because Obsidian didn't have the good sense to use a common grey baseline for the diffuse maps.

welp thanks for clearing that out

eXalted

Arcane
I have the Diamond edition, do I need the Enhanced one for any modules, and what are the pros of this new edition? I guess a lot of old modules are buggy on it?

I am looking also at these new premium modules like "Tyrants of the Moonsea".

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I have the Diamond edition, do I need the Enhanced one for any modules, and what are the pros of this new edition? I guess a lot of old modules are buggy on it?
All the best modules are the older ones, that don't require enhanced edition (but do work with it). Also I just realized that thee are NWN modules on Steam, how does that work? So many of them have copyrighted stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom