Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Forbidden West - sequel to Hoizon Zero Dawn - coming to PC on March 21st

Vlajdermen

Arcane
heavy-metal.jpg
Funny you mention this, it was seen as a powerful portrayal of a woman at the time. Now it would be criticized for being sexist and misogynistic and other buzzwords.
Dan Goldberg: "We really liked the idea of a woman with a sword who could use it. Who took no shit."
John Bruno: "We did want to have this woman be the ultimate woman warrior. Not only does she not have a name or a voice, she's very focused on what she's going to do: she's just going to kill the bad guys."
Mike Gross: "This story makes up for every frame of the film which might be thought to have a sexist bias against women. In 'Taarna' the heroine cuts a path of vengeance unparalleled in the history of animation."

The original pitch for it was by a woman, btw.
Another part of Taarna that Horizon should look up to is that she kept her mouth shut

Gargaune

Magister

Drowed

Arcane
Nexus' TOP mod for Horizon Zero Dawn? Aloy - Face Rework:

32-1602225217-305899811.png

I guess the TOP Mod for the sequel will be "Aloy - Face, Body, Liposuction, Silicone and Jaws rework".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The worst part is these games have such bloated developer teams that it becomes nearly impossible to figure out who is responsible for these disastrous decisions.
Look at this:

Annoying thing about mobygames it that they count everyone involved in the process as a developer, when that isn't the case. Those who work for the publisher, QA and such are not devs. For example, they claim that Pillars of Eternity has "280 developers" which is absurd.

Gargaune

Magister

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The worst part is these games have such bloated developer teams that it becomes nearly impossible to figure out who is responsible for these disastrous decisions.
Look at this:

Annoying thing about mobygames it that they count everyone involved in the process as a developer, when that isn't the case. Those who work for the publisher, QA and such are not devs. For example, they claim that Pillars of Eternity has "280 developers" which is absurd.

They tend to credit everyone with the role that's listed in the credits, so you can usually see who had a major role and who was just there for some financial management or special thanks.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
who the fuck wants to play a video game where the main character is a menopausal fat woman? wtf
apparently it's entirely intentional, she's supposed to be like 50? how did this even get past sony's marketing team?

In the first game she's an older teenager. They really skipped ahead three decades?

Aloy was around 18/19 in the original game, which make her around 45 years old in this sequel.

:what:
Yeah, this is fake news, or rather just bullshit.

The age of "45" is deduced from the line "ancients perished 1000 years ago" when in the first game it is revealed that civilization died 974 years before the game takes place. Someone took the "1000 years" literally, added 26 (1000-974) to Aloy's original age (19) and got 45.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The age of "45" is deduced from the line "ancients perished 1000 years ago" when in the first game it is revealed that civilization died 974 years before the game takes place. Someone took the "1000 years" literally, added 26 (1000-974) to Aloy's original age (19) and got 45.

Yeah, while she still looks terrible, it's not middle aged terrible. I'd put her in her 30s.

Yeah, while she still looks terrible, it's not middle aged terrible. I'd put her in her 30s.

I've heard this new game takes place less than a year after the end of the first.

I love the amount of butthurt generated on both sides by new Aloy's face and her fanmade reinterpretations. As a species we are truly doomed :D

The tweets about that were pretty hilarious. Like, the fan reinterpretation was stupid. But equally as stupid were people defending new fat head Aloy as realistic. I mean, first of all the game's setting may as well be Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon despite how self serious and up its own ass it is about being "realistic"; but there's no way someone that's running around, climbing, and being as athletic as Aloy is meant to be, while also living in some post-apocalyptic hunter-gatherer socitety is going to get fat. And what she do, get fat on her on foot road trip?

This is all just kind of to say the trailer for this made me wish there was some big new Blood Dragon 2 game coming out instead of this lame fucking shit.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah she would be skinny as fuck, not that it matters because she should be an idealised character. Because that's what the vast majority of players want to play as.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I love the amount of butthurt generated on both sides by new Aloy's face and her fanmade reinterpretations. As a species we are truly doomed :D
People got pissed with ActiBlizz for changing a victory pose, as if you couldn't easily find Tracer bending forward in Google images (or similar service). :kingcomrade:

This generation of gamers don't cease to surprise me.

Not that I mind Activision Blizzard being in the middle of a drama. :smug: But not all developers deserve such treatment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom