Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
They don't disclose the amount because they have fuck all.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Activist Investor"
Eh? What's this? How many legs does it have?

Basically, dudes that invest in companies and try to excert influence over the managers unlike the vast majority of smaller investors which are content with just getting money either by rising share prices or via dividends. Activist investors are trouble and most companies hope they do not attract the attention of these guys. As they most likely only own a few percent of CDPR stock (if that), they can't force anyone to do anything but they can be loud and annoying.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"Activist Investor"

Basically, dudes that invest in companies and try to excerpt influence over the managers unlike the vast majority of smaller investors which are content with just getting money either by rising share prices or via dividends. Activist investors are trouble and most companies hope they do not attract the attention of these guys. As they most likely only own a few percent of CDPR stock (if that), they can't force anyone to do something but they can be loud and annoying.

And here I thought they were SJW whales.
Doesn't sound all too different, though.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fuck the hatorz

The game has a superb atmosphere, and even good characters and writing for moments. Butis a clusterfuck in every single other department. And the recent comments from the devs about it makes you think if the reason this shit failed it's not just from the upper heads, but also from the devs themselves being pure incompetent.

Zer0wing

Cipher
It matches the rumors about the dev teams. The 2013-2016 version was supposed to be non-linear and be about branching storylines, then the executives had the brilliant idea to make two dev teams compete against each other to provide the better pitch and they trashed the work of the Witcher 3 devs.
Sounds like higher ups just drank from the same kool-aid bottle as Warren Spector during Deus Ex production. He also had two teams competing against each other.

Caim

Arcane
Fuck the hatorz

The game has a superb atmosphere, and even good characters and writing for moments. Butis a clusterfuck in every single other department. And the recent comments from the devs about it makes you think if the reason this shit failed it's not just from the upper heads, but also from the devs themselves being pure incompetent.

Major atmosphere does not automatically make something nice, no. Case in point: Venus.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

People of privilege are ripe for SJW ideology. Wealth causes people to be even more out of touch with reality and can allow them to stay there for their entire life, never having to face real hardship.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
index.php

Zer0wing

Cipher
Zer0wing isn't that incredibly poor programming?
That was a joke-button. Hell if I know, I'm not one so I don't even know if it's eight variable or the entire layout that also contains everything that each censor_-variable does.

Have the whole package already leaked or not?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Zer0wing isn't that incredibly poor programming?
That was a joke-button. Hell if I know, I'm not one so I don't even know if it's eight variable or the entire layout that also contains everything that each censor_-variable does.

Have the whole package already leaked or not?

Why would the bitmask be anything but process-global?

racofer

Thread Incliner
According to Cyberpunk 2077's leaked source code, China-related censorship flags are named "Winnie the Pooh"

I’m not a programmer by any stretch, but does this code snippet indicate that CDPR reserved 2^32 values in memory (uint32) to store an enumerated list of… 8 values?
Imagine what else they have done with that code. And one wonders why Cyberpunk likes to burn even the strongest CPUs.

Sykar

Arcane
"Activist Investor"

Basically, dudes that invest in companies and try to excerpt influence over the managers unlike the vast majority of smaller investors which are content with just getting money either by rising share prices or via dividends. Activist investors are trouble and most companies hope they do not attract the attention of these guys. As they most likely only own a few percent of CDPR stock (if that), they can't force anyone to do something but they can be loud and annoying.

Sounds like they are odious repugnant pieces of shite all right.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Twiglard can you break it down to the level appropriate for someone who can pseudo interpret the code as I did, but only understands bitmasking in the context of masking (filtering) a binary data stream, such as over a RS232 connection, to extract usable information?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Twiglard can you break it down to the level appropriate for someone who can pseudo interpret the code as I did, but only understands bitmasking in the context of masking (filtering) a binary data stream, such as over a RS232 connection, to extract usable information?

It's a set of boolean values in the form of an integer.

Codex Year of the Donut
According to Cyberpunk 2077's leaked source code, China-related censorship flags are named "Winnie the Pooh"

I’m not a programmer by any stretch, but does this code snippet indicate that CDPR reserved 2^32 values in memory (uint32) to store an enumerated list of… 8 values?
they're essentially just constant values, at most they'll take up a small amount of space in the .rodata section(or whatever the pe32 equivalent is)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yes, but this is normal. "enum" by itself does not guarantee any specific size and explicitly specifying Uint32 you make sure that it uses a 32bit number regardless of what the compiler would pick by itself (by default "enum" would be like "int" which in some platforms is 32bit while in others is 64bit). As these flags are parts of structures serialized to disk you need to have them use a constant size regardless of compiler, platform, etc.

Now in this very specific case it'd "waste" 3 bytes indeed, but aside from that being an irrelevant number, if someone declared it as "enum CenshorshipFlags : Uint8", it'd still waste 3 (or actually, most likely 7) bytes regardless: the reason is these flags are used in "struct" and "class" declarations which have members that are going to be aligned in memory anyway by inserting "padding" (ie unused) bytes between smaller members.

Regardless these numbers are tiny and it is pointless to even try and think about them - a single texture is most likely going to use more memory than all these tiny pieces of unused memory all over the engine combined.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Twiglard and rusty_shackleford while I understand Twig’s response more than rusty’s, in either case I fail to see how reserving a uint32 memory chunk makes any sense for, at implementation, 8 different binary flags.

Are the binary equivalent values of the variable names stored in the enumerated sequence as well? Ie “Censor_nudity”? If so, 32 bit makes more sense.

Codex Year of the Donut
Twiglard and rusty_shackleford while I understand Twig’s response more than rusty’s, in either case I fail to see how reserving a uint32 memory chunk makes any sense for, at implementation, 8 different binary flags.

Are the binary equivalent values of the variable names stored in the enumerated sequence as well? Ie “Censor_nudity”? If so, 32 bit makes more sense.
it could have been done with a byte-sized value but the sizes are so small that it really doesn't matter, and they likely didn't know how many values they'd actually have so they gave themselves some room to add more
in reality, the values will probably never exist because they've been merged with something else via constant propagation and merging

agris

Arcane
Patron

Yes, but this is normal. "enum" by itself does not guarantee any specific size and explicitly specifying Uint32 you make sure that it uses a 32bit number regardless of what the compiler would pick by itself (by default "enum" would be like "int" which in some platforms is 32bit while in others is 64bit). As these flags are parts of structures serialized to disk you need to have them use a constant size regardless of compiler, platform, etc.

Now in this very specific case it'd "waste" 3 bytes indeed, but aside from that being an irrelevant number, if someone declared it as "enum CenshorshipFlags : Uint8", it'd still waste 3 (or actually, most likely 7) bytes regardless: the reason is these flags are used in "struct" and "class" declarations which have members that are going to be aligned in memory anyway by inserting "padding" (ie unused) bytes between smaller members.

Regardless these numbers are tiny and it pointless to even try and think about them - a single texture is most likely going to use more memory than all these tiny pieces of unused memory all over the engine combined.
Thanks, your response clearly demonstrates I’m asking questions for which answers are over my head. One point tho regarding your comment:

“Regardless these numbers are tiny and it pointless to even try and think about them - a single texture is most likely going to use more memory than all these tiny pieces of unused memory all over the engine combined.”

Isn’t this the sloppy thinking that gives us computationally inefficiency code such as Unity which merely takes computing power increases and translates them to a lower and lower programming standard such that mouth breathers such as myself can code, without concern for how code is compiled to assembly and executed on bare metal?

for example, in searching uint32 for C++ enumeration, I stumbled upon a description of cache efficiency and branch predictor accuracy during run time as a function of “wasted” bits for enumeration. If you call a list a lot in a piece of code and it’s written poorly such that there’s a lot of wasted computation in simply parsing the enum, its size (32 bit) isn’t really relevant vs the size of a texture. Its construction IS relevant tho in how it impacts the execution of code at an instructions per cycle (IPC) level, ie on bare metal.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom