Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats your favorite standard fantasy class?

Favorite standard fantasy class?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
be8e9235baf82bd36e930954d94bd86d5edafb6f.jpg
[Perception]: Your favourite class is the candleholder?

Candleholder would be a better original class name than crushmaster.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Paladin. Obviously. :smug:
Cleric is the one to scratch my itch for heavy plate and versatility.

But your avatar ranks high in the companion category. Maybe in a few decades there will be more of us rolling "the old warrior hoping to live in peace until the call to serve comes one last time".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classless > class-based

That said, I love wizards for their sheer versatility, and fighters for their equipment versatility - they can equip any armor and weapon with no restrictions.
Voted wizard.
What games makes classless actually work? It seems like a failure where people just become what would be default classes or close to them.

Arcanum.

Codex Year of the Donut
Classless > class-based

That said, I love wizards for their sheer versatility, and fighters for their equipment versatility - they can equip any armor and weapon with no restrictions.
Voted wizard.
What games makes classless actually work? It seems like a failure where people just become what would be default classes or close to them.
go check the top 10 in codex's top 101
7 games -- 8 if you count vtmb -- are classless

Falksi

Arcane
The sad thing about this is that it makes me realize how second-nature it is to me now to research and test classes in computer games based on fun, rather than what I want to be.

PoE is a perfect example of a game where I wanted to play as several classes, but only actually enjoyed playing as 1 (Cipher).

Too many devs suck at translating good classes into good gameplay. It really shouldn't be that hard to do.

Codex Year of the Donut
The sad thing about this is that it makes me realize how second-nature it is to me now to research and test classes in computer games based on fun, rather than what I want to be.

PoE is a perfect example of a game where I wanted to play as several classes, but only actually enjoyed playing as 1 (Cipher).

Too many devs suck at translating good classes into good gameplay.
reasons to pick cipher:
psionic class in a cRPG
s420.gif

goes hand-in-hand with the plot, has the most unique dialogue(iirc), and makes the most sense(arguably)

reasons to not pick cipher:
???

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Classless > class-based

Voted wizard.

Arcanum.
You mean fallout 3 and elder scrolls.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It all started with this guy:

paladin.jpg

Although I prefer the kind that isn't restricted to just being lawful good.

Darkzone

Arcane
The monk class was introduced into original D&D in Suppliement II: Blackmoor, alongside the assassin, and carried over into Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st edition). It even made an appearance in BECMI D&D as the optional mystic class introduced in the "Black Box" Master Set (and was also included in the later Rules Cyclopedia compilation). However, the Oriental Adventures hardcover released in 1985 borrowed the monk class as well as adding a variety of new ones appropriate for a setting based on Japan and China, Gygax indicated he would not include the monk class in his prospective 2nd edition of AD&D, and David Zeb Cook (the author of Oriental Adventures) excluded it from the AD&D 2nd edition rules released in 1989.
Wasn't the Monk class first created during the Dave Arneson's playtests sometimes between 1972-75, where several monks appeared? And wasn't the in Blackmoor Monk version based on the series Kung-Fu (Tim Kask) and / or the Destroyer novels (Gary)? And was inspired by the Arneson's playtests (Tim Kask ) and created by Brian Blume (Tim Kask and Gary) and also championed by Brian for the Supplement 2: Blackmoor? And what was with the version of Jim Ward and his love for the song Kung-Fu Fighting creating the Monk class (Mike Breault version)?
Just spamming around some unnecessary trivia.

Heh, easy... Sorcerers practice sorcery, that is the summoning of demons or devils. They have no magical power, inate or learned.
Cheerio, Gary
Yeah, about this.. Sorry Gary, but it didn't turned out this way.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Cleric is always the MVP in my partys. Keeps it alive, can fight, wear heavy armor and spells galore make for a versatility no other class can offer. Paladins are weaklings. Can't fight like the best and healing capabilities are so limited compared to a cleric.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My apologies if this is considered derailing the thread, but I'd like to explain why I do not mind Paladins that are not 'lawful-good'.

1) Concerning D&D, I find it difficult to accept that Paladins of Helm can exist and be considered lawful-good, when Helm is lawful-neutral. This could mean that Helm could allow the slaying of an evil person by a Paladin, when arresting that person might be possible, and not consider him fallen. To me that opens up the possibility that, yes, Paladins can be (to some extent) move out of the lawful-good only territory.
2) If a Paladin must be viewed as an exemplar of good and justice, then he needs to accept the rules are often open to interpretation. I find it difficult to accept that commoners can view all Paladins as good and just, if all of them would appear so alien to the realities of life.
2) I do have an issue with downright 'evil' Paladins, because it either means that they can't or won't commit good acts. Paladins at the end of the day seek to protect life in some shape or form. While some view 'evil' Paladins as Paladins that are OK with doing anything for the greater good, I do think that 'evil' Paladins cross a line where life isn't even allowed to have any meaning at all.

I can understand that you disagree, since a lot of it is open to interpretation, or that I simply view the rules wrong. But at the moment I accept that a Paladin can be considered both good and just, even if (for example) they're 'neutral-good' or 'lawful-neutral'.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My apologies if this is considered derailing the thread, but I'd like to explain why I do not mind Paladins that are not 'lawful-good'.

1) Concerning D&D, I find it difficult to accept that Paladins of Helm can exist and be considered lawful-good, when Helm is lawful-neutral. This could mean that Helm could allow the slaying of an evil person by a Paladin, when arresting that person might be possible, and not consider him fallen. To me that opens up the possibility that, yes, Paladins can be (to some extent) move out of the lawful-good only territory.
2) If a Paladin must be viewed as an exemplar of good and justice, then he needs to accept the rules are often open to interpretation. I find it difficult to accept that commoners can view all Paladins as good and just, if all of them would appear so alien to the realities of life.
2) I do have an issue with downright 'evil' Paladins, because it either means that they can't or won't commit good acts. Paladins at the end of the day seek to protect life in some shape or form. While some view 'evil' Paladins as Paladins that are OK with doing anything for the greater good, I do think that 'evil' Paladins cross a line where life isn't even allowed to have any meaning at all.

I can understand that you disagree, since a lot of it is open to interpretation, or that I simply view the rules wrong. But at the moment I accept that a Paladin can be considered both good and just, even if (for example) they're 'neutral-good' or 'lawful-neutral'.

The whole aligment system is based on absolutes.
For a compass to work there can be no different opinions on where is the North.
And in a world with relativisitic morality (which is objectively more realistic) where good and evil are "open to
interpretation" the alightment restrictions stop meaning shit, and you can call any murderhobo doing a god's work a paladin. And this is what we can see with alightment loosing it's importance in each new edition, and emergence of non LG paladins. But to me paladin is still the knight exemplar of chivalric virtues, not just anyone who acts as church's armed hand.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1) Concerning D&D, I find it difficult to accept that Paladins of Helm can exist and be considered lawful-good, when Helm is lawful-neutral. This could mean that Helm could allow the slaying of an evil person by a Paladin, when arresting that person might be possible, and not consider him fallen.
Does it really matter what the deity thinks is acceptable compared to what the Paladin of lawful good alignment knows to be the right course of action? This talk of what Helm or Tyr or Tempus finds acceptable is more the worry of clerics, methinks.

) If a Paladin must be viewed as an exemplar of good and justice, then he needs to accept the rules are often open to interpretation.
I see the logic in this, but I miss the reasoning where it leads to this:
I find it difficult to accept that commoners can view all Paladins as good and just, if all of them would appear so alien to the realities of life.
A paladin that is alien to the realities of life might as well just be a lawful good fighter. It's not that the right course of action is always visible or even feasible, but that is the path the good Paladin cleaves to, as much for its sake as foe everyone else's.

2) I do have an issue with downright 'evil' Paladins, because it either means that they can't or won't commit good acts.
We just call them Blackguards and have done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom