Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh shit, actually, I think it's worse than that. Even the spells that spellcasters/halfcasters do have, are spread out differently, with you only getting 3rd level spells closer to the endgame. I think that's how it worked.
It depends on the campaign levels, but I'd wager most campaigns would end at around lvl 10, so maybe the 4th circle.

The level spread will look something like this:

1st character level - cantrips and 1st circle
4th character level - 2nd circle
7th level - 3rd circle
11th lvl - 4th circle
15th lvl - 5th circle
19th lvl - 6th circle.

And 19th lvl Druids and Clerics are essentially legendary saints and nobody in-universe atm has access to that. 5th circle is exceedingly rare as well, basically only the most senior and experienced of the capitol's clergy.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Regenerate is 7th circle. There are magical limbs that don't require attunement slots, so I presume it is possible to build runic, mechanical balls.

Shitposter
Don't mind me, just fellow Larian fan checking in

BbrIoiU.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Regenerate is 7th circle. There are magical limbs that don't require attunement slots, so I presume it is possible to build runic, mechanical balls.

He still will not gonna fell anything...

Anyway, his setting seems lower magical setting than Gothic. On Gothic, the strongest magician who ever lived was Xardas. He can live a lot and use undead to build towers pretty fast and that is it. No reality warping powers. Dragons are so rare that many doubt his existence. Magics are also more akin go warlocks, learning from a outsider patron instead of "arcane scientists" of traditional D&D.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets be real. this thread is more a "general shitposting thread" than BG3 thread. Cuz there are little to no things new to talk about BG3. BG3 last content was the druid class. on February... Since it, we din't got a new class, nor new spells, nor new areas to explore, nor new NPC's, nor new companions, nothing...

But there is one thing which not even the greatest BG3 hater can't deny. BG3 graphics are a masterpiece. Way better than other AAA games like Ass Effect Andromeda. And Larymas eunuch paladin's setting has way better power scale consistency than BG3.

Casual conversation started on the Larian discord. Me and another user half-jokingly shitting on the chain/unchain system.
A bunch of people suddenly asking "What's wrong with the chain system?" and similar.

As I started explaining exactly what was wrong about it I was welcomed with a bunch of bizarrely overdefensive reactions like "It's just your opinion", "Only because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad", "I never had a problem with it", "You can't force your opinion on us", "I like to take my time with it", etc.

Tried to keep it calm and explain that "opinions" matter only to a certain degree, that it's cool that "They like to take their time with it", etc. but that UI are usually valued by certain parameters. The quality on an UI is usually measured in how intuitive/quick/efficient it is to do things. The less clicks, the lower the number of pages to browse, the fewer the intermediate steps to achieve the same results, the better.

The reaction was... Well, "It's just your opinion", "Only because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad", "I never had a problem with it", "You can't force your opinion on us", "I like to take my time with it", etc.

This was today's episode of "Why we can't have nice things".

Sharpedge

Prophet
How there is anyone alive who sees this control scheme as acceptable is beyond me. Do they have someone check in on them every minute or so to ensure they keep breathing?

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't mind it. It's not great, but I don't think it's as awful as Tuco says. There are far bigger issues with BG3 than the chain system.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Casual conversation started on the Larian discord. Me and another user half-jokingly shitting on the chain/unchain system.
A bunch of people suddenly asking "What's wrong with the chain system?" and similar.

As I started explaining exactly what was wrong about it I was welcomed with a bunch of bizarrely overdefensive reactions like "It's just your opinion", "Only because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad", "I never had a problem with it", "You can't force your opinion on us", "I like to take my time with it", etc.

Tried to keep it calm and explain that "opinions" matter only to a certain degree, that it's cool that "They like to take their time with it", etc. but that UI are usually valued by certain parameters. The quality on an UI is usually measured in how intuitive/quick/efficient it is to do things. The less clicks, the lower the number of pages to browse, the fewer the intermediate steps to achieve the same results, the better.

The reaction was... Well, "It's just your opinion", "Only because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad", "I never had a problem with it", "You can't force your opinion on us", "I like to take my time with it", etc.

The problem is shitty beyond belief epistemology/ontology. This is your entire society on libertarianism (a theory of political economy at most). What got me suspended from Owlcat.

Locke was just trying to get everyone to stop stupidly killing everyone else. The Turk was breathing down the neck of the Gates of Vienna for God's sake.

He didn't mean that reality literally doesn't exist. Berkeley tried to tell us. The desperate defensiveness says it all.

Saravan

Savant
How there is anyone alive who sees this control scheme as acceptable is beyond me. Do they have someone check in on them every minute or so to ensure they keep breathing?

It really depends on the player. RPG enthusiasts who have played a lot of games and/or analyzes details to a different degree may notice or "care" about certain mechanics much more than others. Some people genuinely don't give a shit and just go by a simple parameter of "am I having fun playing this game or not?" and settle for what their gut-feeling is telling them. In many ways I can see the benefits of this approach, but of course, at the very least from playing a lot of games you can't help yourself but compare, for nostalgic reasons or otherwise.

Shrimp

Arbiter

Unfortunately these are the kind of people Larian listen to since (almost) anyone who doesn't live on a diet consisting of crayons won't be able to last long among rabid consumers and unconditional fanboys.
It's the exact same story with Larian's official forum; there's literally no reception or response from anyone representing the company and for every person providing thought-out feedback there are ten different threads requesting features like "let me pet le doggo" and "I didn't read that all classes eventually will be added so please add more classes"

You're fighting the good fight, but the battle was lost before it even had begun. Big(ish) names in the entertainment industry don't even need to invest money on paying people to shill their products online. Once the company becomes big enough they will have addle-brained zealots and yes-men do it for free.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't mind it. It's not great, but I don't think it's as awful as Tuco says. There are far bigger issues with BG3 than the chain system.
The best indicator (for me) that this system has its flaws is that I avoid at all costs separating characters from the group remembering how pain in ass it is both mechanically and amount_of_required_actions_to_perform-wise.

Yosharian

Arcane

I kinda don't understand what's so bad about it if I'm honest, is it that it's overcomplicating something that should be more simple?

I kinda don't understand what's so bad about it if I'm honest, is it that it's overcomplicating something that should be more simple?
well, yes.
Isn't that pretty much the ultimate sin of an UI/control scheme?

Since I'm a lazy fuck let me copy-paste you a practical example of a typical scenario I wrote on their forum few months ago:

Things that with an "RTS-like" control scheme would literally take a couple of clicks here takes an inane amount of unnecessary intermediate steps.

Lets' take a scenario as an example:

PLAYER 1 is at the gates of a hostile camp and decides he wants to set up an ambush. As a starting maneuver he decides to put his party in stealth, move each one of his party members in a specific corner of the area, then he opens the dances, wipes the enemies (let's sya the brigands) from the face of the planet and goes back to move his entire party as one.

In a traditional system:
He will select the whole party, click/press the "stealth" command, then with literally just two clicks for each, he will select and move every character exactly where he wants it.
When the fight will be done, a quick click and drag on the whole party or a press the "select all" shortcut and and he will go on his way.

With the Larian system:
Click stealth. Oh right, only the selected character goes in stealth, so repeat the process for each one of the four men (imagine if it was a party of six, sigh). Time to tell each one where to...
Wait a second, why is everyone moving every time the selected character does? Oh right, time to UNCHAIN each one of them, either by dragging the portrait or right clicking on it and selecting the equivalent function.
Now he can tell each one where to go, have the exact same fight and be on his wa- Wait a second, why is everyone standing aroud like an idiot?
Oh right, before that he needs to re-select each one of them individually, relink them to the party (which by the way works only if they are already in the proximity, so maybe he needs to move everyone more closely before) and then finally be able to go on his way again.

And please, don't make the similar word count fool you, what we have on the latter is not "from 30% to 50% longer", the description of these actions may be somewhat comparable in length but this second process takes almost four times the amount of work of the first one in practical terms.
Can you see why this system is garbage no matter from what angle you may look at it?

Anonona

Learned

Is just that there are more comfortable systems to control the party. I guess it may make it easier to play with controller and does allow for characters to follow others while you focus on your own, but I think a more classic control scheme with just an added function to make characters follow others if needed would be better. Unless there is some special function to chaining, like the game recognizing different parties or something like that. But as I said, I think the number one reason why it might not change is that they want to make it work with controllers.

Though I feel like even then they could come up with some different control scheme, but can't say for sure.

Gargaune

Magister
Toilet Chain apologists should be whipped through the streets. With toilet chains.

There are far bigger issues with BG3 than the chain system.
No.

That's selling it short, this isn't a simple case of "I wish my keys were a little smaller." Unnecessary complication in an interface is a core failure of that interface, and in Larian's case it actively undermines the tactical benefits of splitting and regrouping the party for no practical gain. Funnily enough, when I first tried I merely thought it was dumb, but it was only after hours of play that the attrition set in, having to drag and shove portraits from and into a bouncy stack whenever I wanted to set up an ambush or scout ahead etc. and inevitably forgetting on occasion. The truly obscene part, however, is that Larian aren't breaking any new ground, everything they're doing has been done before and better (or at least less horrifically in NWN2), and it would be trivial for them to improve the situation a little bit. Sadly, it does seem to fit into a modern trend where interface designers, and not just in videogames, constantly lose track of function while trying to turn their "work" into an experience in and of itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom