Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Games:
The best games are the dnd real time first person/single man dungeon crawlers,slayers and death keep.And even that is miles behind real time blobbers on dos/pc.
Also would recommend the space hulk,it is a interesting mix of fps and squad management.
Everything else are weird mediocre jrpg/s or somewhat interesting but not good enough ports of known games.
Isn't Space Hulk also on the PC? Dunno if its any different though. Killing Time, which was originally a 3DO exclusive but went PC changed quite a bit in the porting process.
That said, I think there are quite a few interesting-looking titles, but I don't have any experience with those. I do have experience with Escape From Monster Manor. Do not play Escape From Monster Manor. It has all the worst possible design choices a FPS could have and several I didn't know were possible. However, the lead on it made a LP of it, its on Youtube, and its a fascinating look into just about everything in the gaming world at that time. Not necessarily exclusively talking about the 3DO either. He also has videos on several other 3DO titles, but I haven't seen those yet.

There were two Space Hulk games, one from 1993 ("Space Hulk") and the 'sequel' from 1996 ("Space Hulk: Vengeange of the Blood Angels"). Oddly enough, the Blood Angels-one was originally released on the 3D0, and then later ported to other systems, including the PC.

The only other games I'd say are worth mentioning on the 3D0 are "Star Control 2" (originally released in late 1992, but got a revamped release in 1994, adding more cinematics, upgraded music
rating_citation.png
and full speech) and "The Horde", which was also an original 3D0-title from 1994 that later got ported to other systems, including the PC. Incidentally, both these games were made by the same studio. ;) (Since Star Control 2 now has a brilliant Open Source-release there's little need to get a 3D0 for the extras, which leaves "The Horde"... which may not be to everyone's tastes.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The only other games I'd say are worth mentioning on the 3D0 are "Star Control 2" (originally released in late 1992, but got a revamped release in 1994, adding more cinematics, upgraded music
rating_citation.png
and full speech) and "The Horde", which was also an original 3D0-title from 1994 that later got ported to other systems, including the PC. Incidentally, both these games were made by the same studio. ;) (Since Star Control 2 now has a brilliant Open Source-release there's little need to get a 3D0 for the extras, which leaves "The Horde"... which may not be to everyone's tastes.
Crystal Dynamics did a surprising number of 3DO titles, and curiously enough EA really believed in the console.
Also, I don't know if it affects anything in an emulator, but The Horde on 3DO would delete everything else in your memory card when you saved. Come to think of it, Killing Time had a glitch that could screw you too. For a system that was so expensive, a lot of its original titles seem to have major issues...

flyingjohn

Arcane
I just want to talk more about DND slayer.Look at this manual:
https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media...ted/Slayer_-_1994_-_Strategic_Simulations.pdf
Webp-net-resizeimage.png

It is simple but beautiful.It covers alignments,multiclassing,a variety of different enemies,etc.You can individually customize elements of the dungeon from how much enemies to how much powerful poison is.Character creation feels like it is out of a proper dnd game.
Such a shame it is wasted on a single character real time dungeon crawler on a 3do.

NOW LOOK AT THE SEQUEL VS ORIGINAL CHARACTER SELECTION:
slayer-03.png

death-keep-01.png

Look how they massacred my boy.Oh and the sequel fucks up basic stuff like movement too,ugh.

Everything else are weird mediocre jrpg/s or somewhat interesting but not good enough ports of known games.

Wrong

Great, underrated console and only thing it lack its killer app that has not been later ported to other platforms.

Need for Speed, Space Hulk VOTBA, Return Fire, Gex? All are originally 3DO gaemz
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - great port and has best OST out of all version
Doom - one of the worst ports but not unplayable, best OST again - original midi tracks turn into CD-AUDIO
Samurai Showdown
Myst
Primal Rage
Alone in the Dark
Star Control 2
Wing Commander 3
Wolfenstein 3D (new, hi-res sprites, rocket launcher - waay better than DOS version)
TONS of obscure japanese shit

I like it for being pretty PC-centric platform and kind of pre-Xbox.

Last edited:

AndyS

Augur
Crystal Dynamics did a surprising number of 3DO titles, and curiously enough EA really believed in the console.
Also, I don't know if it affects anything in an emulator, but The Horde on 3DO would delete everything else in your memory card when you saved. Come to think of it, Killing Time had a glitch that could screw you too. For a system that was so expensive, a lot of its original titles seem to have major issues...

I would guess that EA went for the 3DO because Trip Hawkins was the founder of both companies and was able to pull some strings with his old pals at EA to support his new venture.

Puukko

Arcane
RetardArch moment. Played a bit of Xenogears after I turned on the save setting to prevent proper saves from being tied to save states. When I returned to it today (left it running on my laptop) it crashed on me as soon as I got back in game, which apparently reverted the changes I had made to settings as well as my most recent save states, which meant I loaded an old state which in turn deleted my manual saves up to that point.

Now that was perhaps an hour+ of gameplay which i can catch up to in 20 mins of turbo mode and text skipping, but Christ, am I stupid for expecting software built around convenience to not be a minefield where your saves are under constant threat of deletion? Office software figured this shit out a long time ago. I'm not a software engineer but if I was building software that saves user data, I'd make sure as hell that it cannot be deleted by anything but express consent and action from the user.

mogwaimon

Magister
your first mistake was using Retroarch for PSX emulation; sure it's more accurate but the way it handles memory cards is, IMO, inferior to the virtual memcard system used by ePSXe/PCSX2/other PSX emulators. Second mistake was mixing save states and SRM/in-game saves. Third mistake was leaving the emulator running while you were away from the keyboard for a few hours, Retroarch only writes SRM/save data on exit as far as I know by default.

There's also an 'undo load state' button that you could have used to recover from loading the wrong savestate, but since the emulator crashed on you unless you had also set it up to save SRAM on a timed interval instead of only when the program exits that wouldn't have helped either. I know people like to shit on Retroarch because it's not 'the best' option for everything and it has the consolized UI but it's really not terrible for systems before the 32-bit era.

Puukko

Arcane
Right. Why do you say mixing states and manual saves is bad practice? I most often use them in tandem, using states as a quick way to save time when I need to reload, or sometimes to prevent having to rewatch long cutscenes.

I've been recommended Duckstation and I very well might. Beetle has served me well enough but most games have minor graphical issues while the HW version is very hit or miss. SW can handle 2x resolution fine which is my usual preference.

mogwaimon

Magister
You can indeed do it if you're well versed enough or comfortable with it, but if you're not experienced with emulators it can be a bad idea especially if you do have an emulator that is fucky with SRM and save states or a game that auto-saves, for instance if you accidentally load an earlier save state and then unwittingly save or the emulator decides to write to SRM or something and now you've lost progress. It hasn't happened to me all that much on the occasions that I do mix save-states and manual saves because I'm very careful but I've heard things like that happen to a number of others. Or, actually this happened to me fairly recently, but I had forgotten to save in a game I was playing right before doing a one-chance sort of thing and I messed up the one chance so I went to reload my manual save only to find that I'd lost an hour of progress, so I figured I'd save stated, right? well I loaded a save state to find myself several hours back before even my last manual save, imagine if the emulator had chosen that time to write to SRM, I'd have been screwed...especially if I hadn't had that option you had mentioned about SRM being tied to save states configured properly.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I use both retroarch+mednafen and duckstation for ps1 emulation. They have some complementary features in graphics enhancement that I use depending on the game.

I also use save games in tandem to save states but I never experienced save game corruptions. I was assuming that save games and save states are not bound togheter by default. But I usually remember which is the last kind of save I have made, and I restore direclty from that.

I also use normal save games mainly for keeping and/or sharing it among different computers/devices/emulators, since it is the most compatible, but on the same computer I mainly use save states, since it is much faster (and you can save also during long cutscenes).

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I also use normal save games mainly for keeping and/or sharing it among different computers/devices/emulators, since it is the most compatible, but on the same computer I mainly use save states, since it is much faster

This. When using emus which write "memory cards" every time quicksave is made - and that's the majority ATM (Retroarch for all cores AFAIK, pcsx2, citra) - you should stick to one type of saves. In most cases I go with "emulator saves" AKA quicksaves, for reasons mentioned by BRO Nifft. I still use "game saves" written to "memory cards" OFC, but only as a secondary solution. Plus, I make backups on regular intervals (same with saves for regular PC games).
Only in some cases (recently BoF4 on pcsx2) I'm forced to use "game saves" only, but in this case it's caused by the way the whole saving system works in the game. In short, "game saves" become corrupted if you use quicksaves, unless you're super careful with them.

AFAIK only Dolphin and PPSSPP behave differently, trying to "preserve" memory card's contents when making a quicksave.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Did some modding for BOTW on Cemu. The mod organizer (BCML) for this game works well and is mandatory for anything beyond simple texture swaps, but the installation instructions leave a lot to be desired. You need Python installed with specific settings and then install the tool via cmd. No one click exes here, but I suppose the devs have their reasons for doing it this way.

The biggest hurdle in this was that Gamebanana which hosts the mods has atrocious download speeds. The mods are not big, 100ish MB at most, but are capped to about 100kbps and like to fail midway through. I pondered why and then noticed 95% of new mods are for Friday Night Funkin which is a popular rhythm game so I suspect the site's just exploded in popularity recently and can't keep up with demand.

As with any proper modding venture, by the time I was finished I decided to return to it tomorrow so I didn't get to test the compatibility and stability of everything I installed. The big players were End Game for a harder Ganon fight, Relics of the Past for more and harder guardian battles and Survival of the Wild for, well, itvs in the name. There's a respectable amount of tuning you can do via the graphics packs (really a catch all term Cemu uses for modifications) aside from bumping up the resolution and frame rate, like increasing render distance (max still isn't enough) and disabling even more HUD elements. This may very well be the most moddable and tweakable modern emulated game there is.

After some tactical video recommendations of "8k ray tracing" for the game, I was made aware of a Reshade raytracing effect that even runs on older cards, made by an Nvidia dev and obviously locked behind a patreon (supposedly free once out of beta). After half a dozen nuked links, I managed to find a recent copy and yeah, the performance is about what you'd expect. BOTW had its framerate halved on my 1070, from just above 60 to just above 30. During my brief tour with it I only really paid attention to how much more grass popped out. Still, I am very curious how universally this can be applied, as I really don't know if it works with everything that runs Reshade. Time to boot up PCSX2 and try some mad science?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I suppose if some game exists that had been designed for ECS but not OCS, then 3000 emulation would be best suited for it, but I doubt such a thing exists. :M

The Amiga 3000 was an expensive attempt at creating an Amiga workstation and sold poorly. In any case, its ECS (Enhanced Chip Set) was a relatively minor improvement over the OCS (Original Chip Set).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Having very little proper understanding of the Amiga, what era would the 3000 be best for?
For emulating games only you only need the 1200.
3000 is just a novelty with lower game compatibility.
Ah, that's useful to know, so far I've been using an A500 and it hasn't failed me so far, but I anticipate that not working at some point in the future.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As I just witnessed recently, using the A1200 as a measuring stone for all Amiga games (especially when it comes to emulation) can end badly, as some game will run too fast.

The best bet is to have the means to emulate all the different Amigas, but having just the A500 and A1200 covers a large majority of them.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody interested in amiga emulation there is a nice video to explain everything you need.

The only thing that has changed is that you can setup the manual quit key in whdload from the whdload settings.

Also i would like to recommend the amiga core puae. It works nice and is being updated semi regularly.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Is there any tool/frontend that can categorize older computer games(apple,commodore,etc) by genres?
All i want is the ability throw thousand of unsorted apple stuff and let something actually categorize it.I have given up on manually sorting this stuff on how time consuming it can be.Script's get only 1/3 because of stupid naming convection(looking at tosec and their,the shenanigans).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Is there any tool/frontend that can categorize older computer games(apple,commodore,etc) by genres?
All i want is the ability throw thousand of unsorted apple stuff and let something actually categorize it.I have given up on manually sorting this stuff on how time consuming it can be.Script's get only 1/3 because of stupid naming convection(looking at tosec and their,the shenanigans).

In the past I looked for some similar tool, but in the end I resorted to write my own script to read the contents of my HDs, where the roms are stored, and to do automatically some web-scraping on gaming sites (such as Moby) to fill a database with different infos (including genres).

iIFFZL1.png

The script is written in "R" and it is all than user friendly... and is tailored for the structure of my HDs folders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom