Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Sacibengala

Prophet
Death Frost Doom is also another great way to kick things off (what's better than letting your player's trash your setting in session 1 and then dealing with the fallout?).

If the LotFP test run is successful, I was thinking of starting a campaign and plopping Mt. Deathfrost in the local area. This way I'd let the players bring the misfortune of running Death Frost Doom on themselves :D

Anyways, for my test adventure I'll stick with Tower of the Stargazer, it's suitably weird and not so combat heavy and that should work well with my players. I'll let you know how it goes.
Zak S posted on twitter a new map of the North. It have DFD and another locales from his setting in there as well, maybe it can interest you.

MartinK

Learned
OSR is trash. By hipsters-for hipsters. The games, even the rulebooks themselves, are intentionally awful because sucking is the new punk. As Rod Edwards wrote WoD causes brain damage and it turned out these damaged brains gave us OSR (srsly, every single OSR gamer is a former WoDist and most likely also a Forgista). I would rather play Shadowrun 6E than Lamentations of Lame Princess

Bara

Arcane
That Age of Iniquity retro-clone of 1e kickstarter started

Yeah not a fan of the look at all and don't see a point to using their pdf over OSRIC. Also not a fan that their art for the psionic combat page preview has a adventurer beating a Illithid in mental combat that just feels wrong.

They show some black and white art for some extra thing called Artifacts of the Arcane and I wonder why don't they just use that art in the pdf instead it looks a lot better than their colored stuff.

In other news wotc and drivethrurpg put up some more classic pdfs up for 2e Mystara for the Savage Coast and Orc's Head which you have to pay for... these were free pdfs as they were only ever released digitally and you can still get them at the vaults of pandius.

Yet they're giving the wrath of the immortals box set away for free still as pdf but not those?

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm just reading the class write-up for the Ranger and it's . . . not good. Plus those stretch goals all the way up to half a million buck-a-roos. Hope springs eternal. :lol:

Bara

Arcane
One a different note, T. Foster has released The Heroic Legendarium, the official version of his netbook, the AD&D Companion. ...This is a PDF, but a print edition is also forthcoming.

Books been great thanks for the tip! The print version is also available now on dtrpg for those who want it and Trent's being cool and sent out a discount codes to those who already bought the pdf version.

If you're one of the people who already purchased the pdf version you should have received an email including a coupon code allowing purchase of the print version at a discount (the difference between the cost of the pdf version and the cost of the print version, to cover printing costs and mirror the bundle option that wasn't available previously).

In other news DCC getting ready to lauch Dying Earth on kickstarter. They have a notify me on launch page up.

Bara

Arcane
Anyone know if they still do reprints of the 2E "Complete book..." series?

Only two that are available officially for print on demand are The Complete Gladiator's Handbook and The Complete Spacefarers Handbook that I'm aware of.

If you don't mind using lulu you could always buy the official pdfs and have lulu print out the books for you as others have done. But there's a lot of copies of those still out there and you can pick them up at a reasonable price for like 20 bucks give or take on resellers.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Anyone know if they still do reprints of the 2E "Complete book..." series?

Only two that are available officially for print on demand are The Complete Gladiator's Handbook and The Complete Spacefarers Handbook that I'm aware of.

If you don't mind using lulu you could always buy the official pdfs and have lulu print out the books for you as others have done. But there's a lot of copies of those still out there and you can pick them up at a reasonable price for like 20 bucks give or take on resellers.
Yeah, I've done the Lulu trick numerous times. The only caveats are that you need an "unlocked" PDF, and people should know to make it a private project then just order a print proof at cost. Supposedly the cover maker is more intuitive these days, which is a bonus.

Sacibengala

Prophet
It is getting really hard to get anything worth of a rpg discussion in this cesspool of a community that it is the OSR reddit. When I saw it had more than 40 comments on this thread, I was excited to see what people was saying about the game, I was very naive to not see it coming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/osr/comments/nwnjdw/helvéczia_the_new_gabor_lux_game_is_out/

On a side note: Congratulations on this achievement Melan, can't wait to see what you did with this system and setting. I'm really curious.

Bara

Arcane
Saw that and just rolled my eyes. More people are now showing up to defend Melan against the guy that drugged up his old posts. So nice to see that I suppose but thats where all the discussion is going vs the actual product.

I feel like I have nicer conversations in authors blogs/ here on the dex/ or just at the local gamestore nowadays.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
"From a foolish hole, blows a foolish wind" -- Hungarian proverb

and...

“Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo.” -- Hogshead Publishing's old motto ("Life is too short to deal with idiots.")

:martini:

And now, back to packing orders!

:buildawall:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Saw that and just rolled my eyes. More people are now showing up to defend Melan against the guy that drugged up his old posts. So nice to see that I suppose but thats where all the discussion is going vs the actual product.

I feel like I have nicer conversations in authors blogs/ here on the dex/ or just at the local gamestore nowadays.

What I said about reddit is even worse on OSR Discord. Now it is PROHIBITED to post any Gabor's links in there, because he is now considered a "bad actor". I believe they now will do a list of "bad actors". This will be fun to see.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is getting really hard to get anything worth of a rpg discussion in this cesspool of a community that it is the OSR reddit.
Why would you even want that? I click on the reddit, first thing I see is "Why rules cyclopedia is so cool!", directly followed by "I wrote an artificer for OSE".

Bara

Arcane

What I said about reddit is even worse on OSR Discord. Now it is PROHIBITED to post any Gabor's links in there, because he is now considered a "bad actor". I believe they now will do a list of "bad actors". This will be fun to see.

Man they really don't have a leg to stand on when the top mod over there was exposed as a actual abuser and most people there turned a blind eye to it even when that guy was behaving really creepy.

It's really only a matter of time when some one else on there or some fan favorite creator of theirs gets exposed really.

Also some one linked the Helveczia thread on the dex over to r/ osr :lol:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man they really don't have a leg to stand on when the top mod over there was exposed as a actual abuser and most people there turned a blind eye to it even when that guy was behaving really creepy.

It's really only a matter of time when some one else on there or some fan favorite creator of theirs gets exposed really.
Yeah, if my content is officially banned from the Child-grooming Furry OSR Discord, that is a loss I will grudgingly accept. Oh no, not the serverino whose top mod got outed as a sex pest (after the previous top mod also got outed as a sex pest, and that's after on of their top posters, Sack Zmith, also got outed as a sex pest)! You might get the idea these people have a Problem, but I guess I am just some guy, eh. :lol:

Deus vult and yiff in hell, motherfuckers!

:terminate:

Blaza

Educated

That's the main reason I stopped using both Reddit and Discord (Alongside both being chinese spyware), no one can ever discuss things only the people that make things. Can't be caught enjoying a game some heckin transphoberino made, even if said game has no mention of the creators views. As long as the politics don't infect the games I'd buy something from someone who voted for Hitler twice.

Anyways, I am running Basic Fantasy RPG for my group for the first time this week. This is our first forray into OSR land and I'm pretty excited about it. The closest I've came to this style of play is when I played in an AD&D 2E game years ago that came with a stack of house rules.

We decided to add the Combat Options Supplement to make Fighters a little less boring, since we are coming off playing Pathfinder 1e for 5 years 2 out of 3 of my players wanted more in the mechanics department.

Sacibengala

Prophet

That's the main reason I stopped using both Reddit and Discord (Alongside both being chinese spyware), no one can ever discuss things only the people that make things. Can't be caught enjoying a game some heckin transphoberino made, even if said game has no mention of the creators views. As long as the politics don't infect the games I'd buy something from someone who voted for Hitler twice.

Anyways, I am running Basic Fantasy RPG for my group for the first time this week. This is our first forray into OSR land and I'm pretty excited about it. The closest I've came to this style of play is when I played in an AD&D 2E game years ago that came with a stack of house rules.

We decided to add the Combat Options Supplement to make Fighters a little less boring, since we are coming off playing Pathfinder 1e for 5 years 2 out of 3 of my players wanted more in the mechanics department.
Please give us feedback for how it is going. I'm really curious about the shock of differences in playing styles so different as in these 2 systems. It was really hard for me to get my usual table of 3.5 to play OSR. I struggle with them to this day.

Blaza

Educated
Please give us feedback for how it is going. I'm really curious about the shock of differences in playing styles so different as in these 2 systems. It was really hard for me to get my usual table of 3.5 to play OSR. I struggle with them to this day.

Will do! I already had to explain how you are expected to use everything to your advantage. Someone rolled a Thief and I recommended they take some ranged weapons "But I want to be a sneaky stabby thief" "Yeah thats fine..but you have 4 hp and can be one shot so you should at least take multiple daggers to throw". So far that was the only trip up, since everyone is used to the "Doing one thing and only that one thing" like an autistic superhero

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I am running Basic Fantasy RPG for my group for the first time this week.
This sounds fund. Basic Fantasy's rules look fun to play (and run), and I'm curious to know how it works out for your group.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Got my OSE Advanced Fantasy books finally!

To the rest of you still waiting hang in there.
I envy you, bro. Mine is at least a month away. They did not even sent it yet. It's aways hard to wait this kind of stuff in here.

But, What did you get? I took the tomes and the new adventures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom