Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Ravielsk

Magister
Honestly, I think Mass Effect 2 works better if you strip out the Reapers. A mysterious race from beyond known space kidnapping humans is a good plot hook. It creates some tension with the other council races because they aren't taking any losses, and even if their motivation was just the same as the Ket from Andromeda (reproduction via metamorphosis) that would work fine. Lots of room for interesting boss battles with giant alien bugs, etc.
5 Billion years in photoshop
3Zi4Skn.png

The thing is that what we refer to as the "Mass effect Trilogy" are effectively three games from three different trilogies that only take place in the same universe. Mass effect 1 was supposed to be the start of a trilogy but after that one finished the brains over at Bioware decided that since they are overhauling the gameplay they also need to overhaul the story for "first-timers" and so Mass Effect 2 became less of a sequel and more of a reboot. So much so that it effectively resets the universe back to zero so that Shepard can again assemble a team(this time as a explicit objective, before you even know you will need a team) and rediscover that the reapers really are a bad thing. Without the DLC Mass Effect 2 is little more than filler and even then its bad filler.
But then came the time to make the third and final game and well... suddenly the bioware geniuses realized that they are supposed to make a third act to a trilogy without a second act and with two first ones. Worse yet, they have put literary 0 effort into establishing how you are supposed to fight the reapers once they arrive and so outside of knowing that they are the final big bad Bioware had nothing to work with for the third game. Thus they have, idiotically might I add, decided to again reset the universe. So now despite knowing about the reapers and the threat they pose everyone was taken by surprise. All the work done in previous games amounts to 0 and Shepard has to again assemble a team and resolve a bunch of micro issues that should not even exist considering the scenario.

You can see this in how they treat individual factions across games. For example the council:
ME1 - Alien power structure you have to reluctantly work with
ME2 - Ineffectual bureaucrats
ME3 - Effectively irrelevant but somehow still around

Or Cerberus:
ME1 - Minor terrorist organization, mostly incompetent and barely a thing
ME2 - Small clandestine operation with a lot of money but not a lot of people, highly competent
ME3 - The geth(from ME1) but with more mustache twirling

This repeats more or less with everything and is usually not addressed or hand weaved with half a line about how "it just happened dont worry about it".

So from Biowares perspective they really did use the reapers sparingly. Its just that they did not bother announcing that they are using them in three different games and not in three sequential pieces of a trilogy.

A pirated version hasn't been listed on any nfo sites
I take that back. Denuvo was removed and the game is now listed on nfo sites.

I wonder why Bioware already removed Denuvo. Developers usually only do that after many months or even years, if at all.

It has and nfo was published a few hours after I posted. Files are everywhere now, so this thread should see some activity again ;)
I stand corrected. Usually games without Denuvo are released very fast, but I guess the Origin DRM requires a bit more work to crack.

donkeymong

Scholar
I
The thing is that what we refer to as the "Mass effect Trilogy" are effectively three games from three different trilogies that only take place in the same universe. Mass effect 1 was supposed to be the start of a trilogy but after that one finished the brains over at Bioware decided that since they are overhauling the gameplay they also need to overhaul the story for "first-timers" and so Mass Effect 2 became less of a sequel and more of a reboot. So much so that it effectively resets the universe back to zero so that Shepard can again assemble a team(this time as a explicit objective, before you even know you will need a team)
And its absolutely retarded. Before you gather a team, you have to investigate the threat first. What if there is a fleet of collector ships?? What good would an infiltration team do here. Nothing. Shepard goes in blind into the relay, not knowing what to expect at all.Pure idiocy.

Ravielsk

Magister
I
The thing is that what we refer to as the "Mass effect Trilogy" are effectively three games from three different trilogies that only take place in the same universe. Mass effect 1 was supposed to be the start of a trilogy but after that one finished the brains over at Bioware decided that since they are overhauling the gameplay they also need to overhaul the story for "first-timers" and so Mass Effect 2 became less of a sequel and more of a reboot. So much so that it effectively resets the universe back to zero so that Shepard can again assemble a team(this time as a explicit objective, before you even know you will need a team)
And its absolutely retarded. Before you gather a team, you have to investigate the threat first. What if there is a fleet of collector ships?? What good would an infiltration team do here. Nothing. Shepard goes in blind into the relay, not knowing what to expect at all.Pure idiocy.

Well, yes. Bioware was circulating writers pretty much for each game in the series so the further you go from Mass Effect 1 the more the writing feels like a bad game of telephone. They remembered that a huge part of ME1 was getting more team mates but somehow forgot that in the plot most of them were accidental additions. Shepard never decided he needs a cop on his team so he recruited Garrus but in ME2 that is pretty much how it goes.

J1M

Arcane
A pirated version hasn't been listed on any nfo sites

I wonder why Bioware already removed Denuvo. Developers usually only do that after many months or even years, if at all.

It has and nfo was published a few hours after I posted. Files are everywhere now, so this thread should see some activity again ;)
I stand corrected. Usually games without Denuvo are released very fast, but I guess the Origin DRM requires a bit more work to crack.
Like most things I think this comes down to money. I believe that Denuvo is cheaper if, like timed exclusivity, you only pay for it for a certain length of time. Or perhaps in EA's case, for a maximum number of titles at once.

Codex Year of the Donut
Denuvo was likely removed to avoid having to buy a new license for the game as they were likely reaching the activation cap of their current license. The data on this is from the leak regarding Crysis remaster, btw.
Which means it sold well.

Semiurge

Cipher

Why wasn't it simply named "Fuckyouvo"?

soulburner

Cipher

There are a few possible reasons:

1 - it happened by accident
2 - it somehow interfered with the supposedly planned reboot of the multiplayer portion of ME3
3 - they used a short, cheapest license for Denuvo to only guarantee the first few weeks of sales, expecting the trilogy would not sell well

Codex Year of the Donut
They did a really good job remastering the planets you explore in ME1. Easily the most notable upgrade.
Mako also controls well, regular shootin' combat is better, and AI is much more aggressive(on insanity)

Flying Dutchman

Learned
They did a really good job remastering the planets you explore in ME1. Easily the most notable upgrade.
Mako also controls well, regular shootin' combat is better, and AI is much more aggressive(on insanity)

Thank god about the Mako. That thing was a chore.

No offense, Mako, but man, did you suck.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Mako controls still suck. Roosty is WRONG.

The Mako following the direction you are pointing in is useless when you are shooting at enemies because you can hardly dodge attacks.

And the other scheme is retarded because why can't left and right just move the fucking wheels to turn instead of driving in that direction.

Just make triggers or w/s accelerate and thumbstick left/right turn the wheels in that direction. That's how driving works in games, no need to reinvent the wheel pun intended hhlihih fucking retarded shit.

Codex Year of the Donut

The Mako following the direction you are pointing in is useless when you are shooting at enemies because you can hardly dodge attacks.

And the other scheme is retarded because why can't left and right just move the fucking wheels to turn instead of driving in that direction.

Just make triggers or w/s accelerate and thumbstick left/right turn the wheels in that direction. That's how driving works in games, no need to reinvent the wheel pun intended hhlihih fucking retarded shit.
image.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Mako is awesome. if you hate mako you at all that is good pure.

So, in conclusion, I have one thing to say on the subject:

FUKK OFF.

Codex Year of the Donut
My only real complaint with ME1 is that they didn't do anything about the various side-quests that reuse the same few areas. Inexcusable, tbh.

DDZ

Patron

image.png

Yes, that's the first one I covered you cuntbag.

That way you point your goddamn turret at the enemy and shoot while driving into their rockets, it's shit.

And I do actually like the Mako, I like just buggying around for a bit and popping over a ridge to fire my cannon at some dudes at the other side of the map. Then it feels fun. It helps that the planets and skyboxes look pretty sweet now too.

But accelerating with W/S or LT/RT and steering A/D or the left thumbstick would make it much much better. Or an indicator that shows turret direction and front of the vehicle like in Tank sims.

DDZ

Patron
My only real complaint with ME1 is that they didn't do anything about the various side-quests that reuse the same few areas. Inexcusable, tbh.

Yeah I was gonna comment on that too, I still liked just going through the motions... But when I thought about it a little later there is actually very little good interesting content in the game. I did most UNC and shitty sidequests right after getting Tali, so it's probably also my own fault.

Flying Dutchman

Learned

Are you talking about those shoddy "background" quests they added? I remember those being really hard on the eyes. Just like Quillon.

Codex Year of the Donut
I enjoy reading through the ME1 codex entries everytime I play through it. Shame they squandered so much. There's probably about a small book's worth of content between all the entries.

Also, some of the areas are way too dark. I need a flashlight.

J1M

Arcane
Another Dark Energy reference in ME2: The corporate espionage agent on Illium mentions it after you complete her sidequest.

Running total: 2 references.

Codex Year of the Donut
Paragon/Renegade was a lot different in ME1. Renegade was just being more assertive, not an asshole. e.g., forcing the addict to go to treatment is renegade. I liked it better than the later games where it basically becomes light/dark side force-tier.

Codex Year of the Donut
Did any of you do the final boss fight in ME1 on Insanity? This is going to take me like an hour.
regret not bringing tali+garrus, biotic powers do nothing to him in LE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom