Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
The D20 is meant to be more influential on the result than proficiency at low levels. This is to simulate adventurers being relatively unskilled during those levels. They are learning to be competent at a skill.

The problem is that the scaling is off. The difference between a level 20 adventurer attempting an Athletics check and a level 1 attempting it, is +4. That's not significant enough to make the level 20 character a 'god' compared to the level 1 character - and that should be the impression we get when we compare them.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
controller

controller = decline.

Yes Pathfinder is a critical flop

Again. Retarded game journalists.

"Perhaps a bit more troubling is the fact that within Pathfinder's ruleset, many monsters and creatures require very specific tools to kill. Swarms of small creatures like rats, for instance, can't be effectively fought with a sword and shield. Sometimes Kingmaker warns you, but other times it simply expects you to know how to handle the problem. Rust monsters, skeletons, ghosts, and so on all have specific tools that you need to understand and be able to use with relative ease. That's made easier by having a diverse party, but then you have to take far more time aside to learn the ins and outs of your band of characters than a traditional tabletop player." https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pathfinder-kingmaker-review-the-classics/1900-6417006/

And this critical flop got more money from KS than your beloved DOS2. And lets talk about critiques. Even Josh Sawyer criticized BG3.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1326718683402567680

U6gSvjl.png

And he is right. Low level D&D is awful and this is one of the reasons.
High level D&D will be for the next BG game I make after I finish BG3.

Also lol if you think the next Pathfinder will make as much money as BG3, just LOL! "buh muh Kickstarter!" Lol, a new low for Victor.

Sykar

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I tough that Swen said that Larian doesn't wanna become a "Forgotten realms studio". And 5E just doesn't work on lv 13+.
I have many studios now, enough to make multiple games. Also my version of 5E is superior and tailored for video gaming so it will work.
You mean multiple DOS games,not actual different games,right?!

PS:The fact that you have a vision that includes 5E in it,makes it inferior to any normal codexian with a half decent taste in rpgs.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try reading dear, everybody needs to pander to woke crap these days if they want good reviews from mainstream gaming outlets.
Page 1.jpg
Page 2.jpg
Page 3.jpg

Life is rough. We spot a... Dark Underlord... an Obsidian Entertainment, a certain Brian Fargo...

... oh, but wait... check it out: 2nd image! On the left hand side! Is it Larian Entertainment LLC?!?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Try reading dear, everybody needs to pander to woke crap these days if they want good reviews from mainstream gaming outlets.
View attachment 19510 View attachment 19511 View attachment 19512

Life is rough. We spot a... Dark Underlord... an Obsidian Entertainment, a certain Brian Fargo...

... oh, but wait... check it out: 2nd image! On the left hand side! Is it Larian Entertainment LLC?!?
D...DELETE THE IMAGE!!!
Now i see how you are making multiple games at once. So in the end you will make that two worst games of the year....amazing.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I loved what i played of BG3 however Larian needs to be more loyal to the 5ed core rules i get the game is early access however it dosn't feel like D&D just yet.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(...)Also my version of 5E is superior and tailored for video gaming so it will work.

LOL... Can you guys imagine a campaign like Mask of the Betrayer or Hordes of the Underdark made by Larian? Anyway, more I read about 5E and Pf2E, more I love 3E/PF1E/2E...

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I play all edition of D&D i have to say something about the 5th edition.

Finally Allignment is no more a thing like in past. Heck is the perfect tool to create frigging FLAT characters.

Allignment is good when use in the planes. But not outside of it the removal of importance of it allows the development of more grey characters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finally Allignment is no more a thing like in past.

What is the problem of alignment? Law X Chaos, Good X Evil are interesting on D&D cuz they aren't mere "ideas", they are cosmic forces, living your entire life in Limbo or in Mechanus would change completely not only your mind and appearance, but your soul too. The humans on Thultanthar become shades after many decades there. And also, alingments doesn't force your character into a specific mindset. For example, a chaotic neutral character can be a barbarian in his barbarian tribe hating civilization, can be a very individualistic and anarchyst wizard on his tower, a complete random person(...) Robin Hood could be considered Chaotic Neutral.

Many modules who happens in abyss had rules for abyssal corruption, shifting the PC's alignment to chaotic evil and many spell, effects, magical items, etc; had alignment based conditions, restrictions or usage. Those who played older editions, knows that protection from evil is a must have spell, if you don't have a cleric casting it in your party, you can get hit by negative levels.

Yosharian

Arcane

Finally Allignment is no more a thing like in past. Heck is the perfect tool to create frigging FLAT characters.

Allignment is good when use in the planes. But not outside of it the removal of importance of it allows the development of more grey characters.
"I want to be able to role-play a character with no consistent traits or personality at all, and now I can finally do that with no repercussions"

Harthwain

Magister

Just because alignment means nothing in BG3 it doesn't mean it can't be useful. Solasta uses alignment to determine how your characters act. It's not perfect, obviously, but I would say it's the step in the right direction. Also, alignment is useful for some spells (Protect vs Evil & Good spell, for example).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Just because alignment means nothing in BG3 it doesn't mean it can't be useful. Solasta uses alignment to determine how your characters act. It's not perfect, obviously, but I would say it's the step in the right direction. Also, alignment is useful for some spells (Protect vs Evil & Good spell, for example).
LoL fake news,solasta doesn't have alignment but traits like greedy or kind and such.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

LoL fake news,solasta doesn't have alignment but traits like greedy or kind and such.

Looks like you've missed forest behind trees.

neA8UfA.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Looks like you've missed forest behind trees.

neA8UfA.png
It is a meaningless background picture,vioence is not evil,nor is caution,nor is pragmatism good. Character traits are not good or evil lol,actions determine alignment. They just splattered those traits on the pic and called it a day lol.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Codex will be unable to name a single thing that alignments actually contributed other than endless arguments on the internet about what is right and wrong, what is lawful, what is good and so on, and so forth.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Codex will be unable to name a single thing that alignments actually contributed other than endless arguments on the internet about what is right and wrong, what is lawful, what is good and so on, and so forth.
Implying contributing to endless arguments on the internet about what is right and wrong isn't a pure and worthy cause. This thread, in particular, is p. great. It gave us the timeless classic:

Just because an act is labeled evil does not make it wrong.

Sarathiour

Cipher
First of all, fuck you for bumping this thread on my alert.

Also, i'm not a native English speaker, so my phrasing was probably clumsy, but it rest my case. For example, killing anyone suspected of being a demonic cultist is an evil act by itself, but might be a necessary decision.

Anonona

Learned
First of all, fuck you for bumping this thread on my alert.

Also, i'm not a native English speaker, so my phrasing was probably clumsy, but it rest my case. For example, killing anyone suspected of being a demonic cultist is an evil act by itself, but might be a necessary decision.

But doing a necessary evil because is the right thing to do regardless of how one may be perceived or how he feels about it wouldn't surely fall under "Good" rather than "Evil", despite the act itself being evil? Seems like it is something that would be at the discretion of the DM or be dependent on the setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom