Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats your favorite standard fantasy class?

Favorite standard fantasy class?

• Total voters

Reinhardt

Arcane
Only ~40 codexers like wearing dresses.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Wow. Nobody likes Warlock...

What even is a Warlock? :)

This is kind of funny because my first encounter with DnD Warlocks was in NWN2 -- prior to that game, I had never touched a Warlock and had never played in a tabletop campaign with one. And I have to say, the NWN2 version of the Warlock just didn't do it for me. Now I haven't touched that game in over ten years, but I recall the class being clunky and difficult to use (though I do recall some Codex posters saying they were overpowered, which may well have been the case). I do distinctly remember not bothering to use Ammon Jerro after getting him in the party.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And I have to say, the NWN2 version of the Warlock just didn't do it for me. Now I haven't touched that game in over ten years, but I recall the class being clunky and difficult to use (though I do recall some Codex posters saying they were overpowered, which may well have been the case). I do distinctly remember not bothering to use Ammon Jerro after getting him in the party.

Is simple. Warlock + Warlock reworked is OP. Warlock - Vanilla is trash.

Delterius

Arcane
Only ~40 codexers like wearing dresses.
170px-Toga_%28PSF%29.png

they comfy

Darkzone

Arcane
It's just jarring to have all that mixed up. Too much cultural appropriation :)
It's time for Irish bareknuckle boxers to shine. Me powers don't come from chi or that, I'm just 'ard as nails and a follower of Christ.

In DnD 5E:
Human Male Fighter (Battlemaster (best option: Pugilist build), Champion) or Rogue (Assassin, Swashbuckler) with the Tavern Brawler and Grappler Feat and / or Unarmed Fighting (Tasha's) fighting style.

negator2vc

Scholar
There is only one class (one class to rule them all ;-) ) : ROGUE!!!!
because rogue are awesome!!!!
skillsssssss!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I like the concept of Monks. While trash classes are stuck swinging their weapons or casting spells, monks just punch real fast and hard.

Issue is, the only rpg that made a fun monk class was pillars of eternity 2, every other game just botches them.
Black Belts in Final Fantasy were a decent interpretation of the monk class, albeit not particularly exciting to use.
f8fwg2.png
y51hdn.png

Monks don't have to stick out, every culture can conceivably have martial arts. People just like the eastern theme.

It's a bit harder to justify kicking monsters but not much more than using a sword or axe. There no reason to ever willingly get in close range fights with stuff that can survive a stab and proceed to crush your head like a grape, it's just because it looks cool.

Darkzone

Arcane
Monks don't have to stick out, every culture can conceivably have martial arts. People just like the eastern theme.
It's a bit harder to justify kicking monsters but not much more than using a sword or axe. There no reason to ever willingly get in close range fights with stuff that can survive a stab and proceed to crush your head like a grape, it's just because it looks cool.
I'm going to tell you a secret...
Nearly all (excluded are things like Capoeira) unarmed martial arts are descend from the greek martial arts: Pale (Wrestling), Pygme (Boxing) und the greek MMA aka Pankration (Pan = "All", Kratos = "Power" ). It was spread from the Polis-states through Alexander's conquest of the Middle-East to the subcontinent of India and from there to the east asia (Thailand and China).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like warrior-mage: characters that alternate melee attacks and arcane spellcasting, but there are very few games, CRPPG or TT where they are viable, so I usually end up rolling paladins.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I often go for fighter/thief, what you might call swashbuckling type builds. In WOTR alpha I was working on a barbarian/rogue build that I liked a lot. I tend to like a character who's a beast in melee but has extra options and can be tricky or highly mobile - thus rogue. POE2 let me get pretty close to my ideal character, a crit-fishing, single dagger wielding devoted/rogue who would charge or shadowstep straight at casters and just shred them up.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The monk hate is about half-literate dipshits trying to look smart. The late medieval was so lousy with monks that people cheered on Henry requisitioning all their shit and with a near monopoly on literacy the chances they didn’t know just as must about their contemporaries in the East as we do are slim to none.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm going to tell you a secret...
Nearly all (excluded are things like Capoeira) unarmed martial arts are descend from the greek martial arts: Pale (Wrestling), Pygme (Boxing) und the greek MMA aka Pankration (Pan = "All", Kratos = "Power" ). It was spread from the Polis-states through Alexander's conquest of the Middle-East to the subcontinent of India and from there to the east asia (Thailand and China).

False. If anything, Mongolian wrestling is the origin of the grappling forms in East Asia. And Western MA all come from older Indo-European roots, of which both Greek and Indian subcontinent forms are branches - but so are Germanic, Nordic and Celtic.

There's nothing particularly culture-specific about punching, kicking and rasslin' anyway, they're just things humans do, with more or less codified or more or less sportified formats in various locales, with odd tricks here and there that are localized. Also a lot of changes over time depend simply on changes in rules of engagement, changes in sporting rules and how bloodthirsty vs. how squeamish spectators are (as I'm sure you know, Boxing became less bloody but much more dangerous to the brain with the introduction of gloves, but also stances and punching techniques shifted - how different would the rules and techniques be with a "cestus," the complete opposite of the boxing glove?)

What's possibly unique to East Asia is the "internal" MA - though even there, there are hints of an equivalent to "qi/ki" (East Asia) with "prana" in India, and possibly even "pneuma" in Europe. At any rate, the common thread there is breathing exercises that condition the body's fascia, plus a very different (from normal) method of moving the body and delivering force that repurposes some of the autonomic systems in the body that balance against gravity. That would be the thing that could make the East Asian monk archetype special, but it's so recondite and obscure that nobody really knows much about it, least of all makers of RPG game rules, tv shows, or even East Asian kungfu movies :)

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Druids when they're not about shapeshifting.

I dig the hobo-mage aesthetic, the feeling of more grounded magic you might read about in novels, and mechanically that this often means oodles of utility spells.

Aemar

Arcane
Fighter. You are getting visibly stronger with each level and can use almost every piece of loot.
This. Always the first choice for the main character when playing a new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom