Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is better than Baldur's Gate

Generic-Giant-Spider

That's cool and all Desiderius but we'll need more screenshots to know what you mean.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That's cool and all Desiderius but we'll need more screenshots to know what you mean.

How's this?

Spider Ambush.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, yeah, that's it you dirty fucking whore. Now turn around and show me what you do when daddy isn't around.

Suicidal

Arcane
BG 1 yes, but definitely not BG 2. BG 2 doesn't overstay its welcome nearly to the extent of Kingmaker, where the last several chapters felt like an extended Dragon Age Deep Roads segment.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Get the Kingdom Resolution so you can manage the kingdom from any region

Or just play the fucking game like a non-retard. You rank up your kingdom to unlock buildings that allow that. That mod fucks everything up completely, locking you out of the itemization and global buffs (like mental immunity!). You can even adjust the KM difficulty in the settings.
Wait, the mods nerf the rewards from Kingdom building?
How so?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a tricky one, actually. Obviously one appreciates both to some extent.

I found the PFK story engaging and I really like the way the whimsical ennui of the Fey leads to so much suffering. It's fully as dark as the stuff in BG/2. It is very long, but that could be either good or bad depending on how into the story and your character you are.

The meat and potatoes of the gameplay in PFK is better, the build system has more possibilities.

But elements of the story in BG/2 do feel more epic as you're going through it - the presentation, writing and dialogue are better, and the companions are better (not just less ghey but better-written - although there is some good writing for the PFK companions too, especially as their stories progress). Some of the encounter design was arguably better too.

I really can't decide on an absolute scale.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
BG 1 yes, but definitely not BG 2. BG 2 doesn't overstay its welcome nearly to the extent of Kingmaker, where the last several chapters felt like an extended Dragon Age Deep Roads segment.
How can you say that in a world where Throne of Bhaal exists?

BG2 overstays its welcome as soon as chapter 5 starts. When people talk about their fond memories of BG2, they're always talking only about chapter 2, which is a completely different game that has nothing to do with the remaining chapters.

Ahnx

Educated
I like BG1 more. I like PKM more than BG2. But BG2 had awesome mage battles, still better than any other game after it.
BG2 is too linear, in my opinon. Even KotOR gives more freedom to explore, without placing player on rails for the most part of the game.

Baxander

Augur
Baxander thinking he's all sly and shit saying a game he actually hates is better than a beloved classic so everyone shits on it.

Nigga you ain't foolin' me. And Tim's still dead and too bad because Grimoire is best blobber of all time, he'd have really enjoyed it if he didn't die.

Well, you had me hard as a rock when you were talking about my friend being dead, but then you mentioned Grimoire and got it all soft again. You are better than this. Show it.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Feels like this comes down to preference for how a campaign is structured more than anything else. Kingmaker constantly builds towards something. The timer connects every single action, from the grand to mundane, and planning out each journey is part of the experience. I find that incredibly engaging, but many folk see it as a detriment rather than a strength, and refuse to play Kingmaker on its own terms. This is the one issue which has cast a shadow over the entire game (aside from bugs on release), and continues to be a non-negotiable point of contention to this day. Well you know which side of the coin I fall on - you either like Kingmaker (and Pathologic 2), or you're wrong!

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Because ToB is an expansion and as such it can be easily skipped with no loss to the story. You can do WK in SoA and finish BG2 with the Irenicus battle, which wraps the story nicely. PK's worst part is the last part of the main campaign, so no way to skip it if you want some sort of ending.

Oberon

Learned

BG2 overstays its welcome as soon as chapter 5 starts. When people talk about their fond memories of BG2, they're always talking only about chapter 2, which is a completely different game that has nothing to do with the remaining chapters.

Back when I played through BG2 I wished it would go on forever.

Feels like this comes down to preference for how a campaign is structured more than anything else. Kingmaker constantly builds towards something. The timer connects every single action, from the grand to mundane, and planning out each journey is part of the experience. I find that incredibly engaging, but many folk see it as a detriment rather than a strength, and refuse to play Kingmaker on its own terms. This is the one issue which has cast a shadow over the entire game (aside from bugs on release), and continues to be a non-negotiable point of contention to this day. Well you know which side of the coin I fall on - you either like Kingmaker (and Pathologic 2), or you're wrong!

Yeah that timer caused some serious butthurt amongst a very vocal segment of players, I swear it gave some of them PTSD.
Personally I loved it as well, I like the idea of a world evolving with or without the player's input.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom