Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Razor

Arcane
I use this strategy on DOM and it's pretty doable. 20 seconds is more than enough to sneak where you want to be.

Fair enough.

If you want a constructive criticism of Interloper then the specialization deserves it. I mean 10 points?! It takes up the majority and together with min-maxing it with move speed gear (light) it firmly puts it in a niche build territory. IMO you could slash it by half confidently to free up points so as to increase build diversity because in specialization i saw many options that could be interesting to use.

But anyway, as a huge stealth enthusiast I can say that nothing is more satisfactory than clearing out deathstalkers with a proper tincan when they cannot even poison you.

Kek. I just threw traps in their path when they were following me with quick tinckering and then blew them up with 'nades when they were melting in the acid buddles. Many such cases.

BTW when is the next xpansion coming up? I also read here there is a sequel in the works.

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane
The main thing that irks me about the Beans is that consuming a drug takes you out of stealth and puts it on cooldown. If you are in a tight map, lets say one of the badzillion burrowers nest and full interloper spec (light gear) one spawn making whacky moves can pretty much ruin your day.

Also when I am now reading jumping beans description it specifically mentions it does not work on stealth. You guys sure this is not a bug?

Ah who cares. As a temp boost for stealth lights its actually a good idea even if a exploit. Its a Fallout like single player game at the end of the day.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
Jumping Beans cooldown is pretty much non existant... of course, Styg could ruin the party by increasing it

Tigranes

Arcane
Doesn't that method mean you're eating like 600 jumping beans a playthrough, and spending all that time gathering materials and crafting them? I mean, you do you, but I'd rather work in an assembly line.

I've never taken interloper, but it is definitely a tradeoff - you're essentially buying yourself out of some reloads, annoyances, and wasted time with it. So if you aren't on your 20th DOM playthrough on 4x speedhack, then I can see it being worthwhile.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Jumping Beans cooldown is pretty much non existant... of course, Styg could ruin the party by increasing it
has Styg ever missed an opportunity to ruin a party...?

(the beaned-up stealth thing does seem like an oversight to be honest)

we're talking about a dev that's not in it for the money, but for the bittersalty joy of giving players sweet addictive power and freedom of "you've figured it out, nothing can stop you now, you walk the heavenly paths alongside gods" and then taking it away

CHEMS

Scholar
Doesn't that method mean you're eating like 600 jumping beans a playthrough, and spending all that time gathering materials and crafting them? I mean, you do you, but I'd rather work in an assembly line.

Crafting requirements for Jumping Bean are low, and the ingredients are abundant. You need one insectoid saliva, one organic gel eletrolyte and three capsules to make 3 jumping beans. You can literally make dozens of it by the time you first get to Foundry for the blueprint.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ok, so my pistol fighter crit focused build, using a .44 Hammerer with W2C rounds, just obliterated Tchort in 5 shots. I hadn't played through to completion in a LONG time, so I played on Normal. I didn't bother with mutagen or stat altering drugs like focus.

My critical chance at the end was 69%. I don't know why I thought it would be so hard this time around. I think last time was because I went with a no initiative hammerer which fucked me. Holy fuck, just realized. 69% without fucking focus stim. Below is my loadout.

upload_2021-6-11_11-30-29.png

upload_2021-6-11_11-33-32.png
upload_2021-6-11_11-34-12.png
upload_2021-6-11_11-34-39.png
upload_2021-6-11_11-35-4.png

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, so my pistol fighter crit focused build, using a .44 Hammerer with W2C rounds, just obliterated Tchort in 5 shots. I hadn't played through to completion in a LONG time, so I played on Normal.

"Normal" is codeword for Easy.

If for bads and casuals.

Especially in this game where you wont see some enemies or get some fights just because they appear only on higher difficulties.

But gratz.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, so my pistol fighter crit focused build, using a .44 Hammerer with W2C rounds, just obliterated Tchort in 5 shots. I hadn't played through to completion in a LONG time, so I played on Normal.

"Normal" is codeword for Easy.

If for bads and casuals.

Especially in this game where you wont see some enemies or get some fights just because they appear only on higher difficulties.
No reload blind playtrough?

CHEMS

Scholar
Tchort is not a boss. It is a fleshy canvas for you to paint red with the build you've minmaxed over the course of an entire playthrough.

I agree. Tchort fight is so anticlimax its painful. Never ever did mutagen puzzle or bothered to blow up the tanks. Just waltzed in there with my junkie character tooking all the drugs the game has to offered and destroyed the eye in one or two turns. Ironically, the "real" boss fight is the optional one that comes afterwards. Tchort is a surprisingly pushover, especially in a game complex as Underrail

Tygrende

Arbiter
Tchort is not a boss. It is a fleshy canvas for you to paint red with the build you've minmaxed over the course of an entire playthrough.

I agree. Tchort fight is so anticlimax its painful. Never ever did mutagen puzzle or bothered to blow up the tanks. Just waltzed in there with my junkie character tooking all the drugs the game has to offered and destroyed the eye in one or two turns. Ironically, the "real" boss fight is the optional one that comes afterwards. Tchort is a surprisingly pushover, especially in a game complex as Underrail
Tchort being a benchmark for how ridiculous your build can get by the end of the game suits me just fine.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think I know who the guy in the stasis chamber with Kharon might be. For those unaware, it was pictured a few pages back, like a dozen or so. If anyone remembers from Hollow Earth, there was an Apex Technocrat who was dying and left the luxury and comfort of his high rise apartment home to a cramped room in Hollow Earth, in their Caerus Residential Block. Among the projects he was interested was the work being done by John 'Dude' Dyson in Tithonus Labs, as illustrated by his conversations with fellow Apex Technocrats Anton Matveev and Kirill Gavrilyuk, as well as a reference to a conversation had in person between himself and John Dyson, via a quick one off text to Dyson telling him he has five minutes, and then the technocrat referring to him later as a drunkard, though Anton vouched for him.

I think this person in the stasis chamber is none other than Apex Technocrat D. Slavkovic. The Tithonus chambers are not sleeping stasis chambers, but ones where the mind is kept active and awake thanks to the shards of the pillars in Deep Caverns. Like those in the labs, Slavkovic is aware and with an active mind though his body is unaging, and as such undying. Now, all we saw with those in Tithonus was aggression and wandering, maybe a little interacting but not much else. However, that's not to say they weren't capable of more.

I think we can now say that we know of at least four personnel that escaped from Hollow Earth. Gunter Vasilica doesn't count simply because he never left DC. But, this revelation, if true, does pose questions as to what Slavkovic and Kirill (Kharon) might be actually working on, aside from moving mutants to Mutie Island.
  • Anton Matveev
  • John Dyson
  • Kirill Gavrilyuk
  • D. Slavkovic

CHEMS

Scholar
There should be an update on Protectorate base. I keep forgetting to unready my weapons before entering Cathcart's office. I'm a corporal, makes no sense that i'm forbidden to wield weapons inside the base.

Sykar

Arcane

Tchort being a benchmark for how ridiculous your build can get by the end of the game suits me just fine.

Now show us with fully optimized stealth gear so we can see what Snipe can really do. As the old Borderlines 2 wisdom goes, there is no damage like overkill damage.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Now show us with fully optimized stealth gear so we can see what Snipe can really do. As the old Borderlines 2 wisdom goes, there is no damage like overkill damage.
The Snipe here isn't even specced, at least not beyond 2 points or so if I remember right, been a while since I did this. Fully specced Snipe with max stealth gear, cloaking device and smart goggles would add up to something stupid.

But not as stupid as hammer crits.
h7ZQRkn.png

And definitely not as stupid as temporal distortion stacking. That one takes the cake.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Looks funny but seems rather... impractical for actual use outside of wiping out a sandbag.
Yes but literally wiping the technically highest HP target in the whole game out of existance is a worthy goal in itself. Otherwise any single target damage over 3k is just a waste.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I've been wondering now, about Anton, Kirill, and the Dude.

They're all essentially ageless. Now, it's a fact that by the time it fell, Biocorp was genetically engineering practically everyone destined for roles of any level of import.

I've always previously felt that John Dyson and Anton Matveev, the Dude and Ezra respectively, were either successful in their quests for immortality via mutagen exposure like Wyatt Pear (or another means maybe).

Now, with Kirill and Slavkovak appearing in game, I'm beginning to wonder if they were successful or are just INCREDIBLY long lived due to successful genetic engineering by Slavkovak.

Technically, by the time they were Apex Technocrats, Kirill and Anton were at least middle aged. Or at least close to it. And based on descriptions from Oculus, neither Anton or Kirill have aged at all.

That makes me think the three of them, Anton, Kirill, and the Dude, discovered paths to immortality, possibly via mutagen due to their genetic engineering. And it's possible that Kirill is still searching for the key for Slavkovak's immortality as well, as either he wasn't engineered or was engineered to such a lesser level of perfection that the mutagen would be too much of a risk to expose him to. It's a fact that Anton and Kirill were exposed to it at least once during the Junkyard incident and completely unaffected. Whats to say they weren't already changed by it?

What do you guys think?

Also, Styg and Co., how close am I to the truth with these guys?

Ezra has the tiny pupils (well, only one pupil in his case) associated with mutagen D5, so it's safe to assume he's immortal because of that. Like Wyatt and probably Abram. Not sure how the others managed it though.
Wyatt doesn't sleep so I guess Ezra doesn't either. Wonder if anyone else in SGS noticed that and what they think about it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
With the Dude, it could have been exposure to the void itself from teleportation or something else.

And as far as SGS goes, they are already dealing with someone who secretly weighed heavily on their minds for years, and in the case of Jonas, decades: Hadrian Tanner. A guy who looks fucked up and appears to be enthralled in his work 24/7 definitely doesn't concern them nearly as much. Hell, Ezra's odd habits seem to escape their notice completely, as he's only rumored to be a powerful thought controller.

Also, now I'm thinking, after seeing Ezra's explanation re the ACoNR, specifically the intelligence behind it, has started to make me think Hadrian Tanner has been around for a LOONG LOONG time on earth. I mean, Pre-Fall. The dude might even be responsible for the fall itself, in his quest to get more power to defeat Rahm Umbra. At the very least, Old Biocorp scientists in Deep Caverns were aware of the High Ones (Godmen in Occulus, like Six and Tanner) as evidenced by Tchort when you first arrive in it's mutagen container.

Maybe it was Tanner that gave humanity, specifically the T6 Mega Corps, the knowledge to create these things (like Acorn and the Cube), and it was all in an effort to build technologies that would allow him to kill Six / Rahm Umbra. Eventually, something happened that destroyed the surface of the earth, possibly as a result of the manipulations of Tanner himself or at least his machinations.

Knifegaf

Novice
Looks funny but seems rather... impractical for actual use outside of wiping out a sandbag.
With some creativity you can make this work on boss characters but it’ll rarely be necessary if ever. Honestly would be a good way to handle Magnar for hybrids since he has such high avoidance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom