Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate - GTFO Pc plebs LOL

Silva

Arcane

Silva

Arcane
Can someone give some pointers about the fighters? Which ones are noob-friendly, which ones to avoid at first, their general strengths or stchiks etc?

I'm playing Aoi "Steven Seagal" Umenokuji. She is all about reversals and defensive play, I guess. It's working fine so far (people seem to freeze after I reverse some of their attacks) but I suspect as soon I get out of the noob zone, I'll have my ass handed to me.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Rewrite

Latest Doxxer Account
Dumbfuck
>virtua fighter
>plebs
roffles, shittiest fitan on the planet

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
We have a fighting game thread for this.

Besides that, PC version, including other versions already have been leaked on Sega's own homepage. Not sure why you feel like slurping Sony's cock like a good catholic boy, since they are the cause for splitting most fighting game users bases online for not allowing crossplay.

What a great way to start your thread.

Can someone give some pointers about the fighters? Which ones are noob-friendly, which ones to avoid at first, their general strengths or stchiks etc?

I'm playing Aoi "Steven Seagal" Umenokuji. She is all about reversals and defensive play, I guess. It's working fine so far (people seem to freeze after I reverse some of their attacks) but I suspect as soon I get out of the noob zone, I'll have my ass handed to me.

Although I think the first rule of any fighting game is to play what you think looks cool in general, I think VF should be approached from a systemic perspective. The game's underlying system is solid (and simple), the buffer/input parser is clean and rules generally work consistently.

Aoi is a fairly complex character, with many moves that have very specific applications (for instance, her sabakis, which are active moves that also work as counterattacks during specific frames against specific other moves). Therefore I would probably recommend starting with something simpler like Jeffry - he has very well-defined move classes (elbow, knee, punishers, etc.) which allow you to focus on fundamentals first and fancy stuff later.

VF is a game about making opportunities in tight windows, instead of something like Tekken for instance, which mostly consists of abusing a zero-risk, lazy mechanic (backdash cancelling) and fishing for free whiffs that lead to 80%+ combos. The virtuafighter.com wiki is a good place to start learning fundamentals

https://virtuafighter.com/wiki/index/

Pick a character, learn around 10 basic moves covering all categories (especially what to use at specific frame advantages to create flow: at +6 or more, you can engage in the game's basic 50/50 (called nitaku, two-thoice), which is very different from Tekken's - whereas in that game there are mid/low mixups that lead to huge damage, in VF you're mostly looking to force an opponent to have to block mid or eat a throw.

Other than that, I would avoid gimmick characters early on like Shun, or highly technical/high risk/reward characters like Akira or Aoi. Jeff, Jacky, Sarah are all good places to start. Focus on creating flow with p->elbow->throw, and learn how to crouch dash from every position, including to buffer moves. This will help your defense later.

Mostly have fun and understand 99% of people playing this online have no idea what they're doing, don't understand the concept of advantage/disadvantage and will probably give up within a month.

re: netcode, it is what it is - delay-based garbage. If they manage to fix lobbies, include wifi indicators with accompanying filters to avoid people playing on wifi and making the connection display accurate, then it'll be acceptable. Apparently RGG studio is already on it, they tweeted a few times about it yesterday on VF's official jp page:

Around 50% of my ranked matches are somewhat playable, filtering by best connection currently. Yes, my expectations are very low. However, I don't think people should get swayed by the bandwagoners saying it's the end of the world - most big-name streamers playing VFUS right now will just jump ship in less than a month for GG Strive and they're just drumming up whatever bullshit their audience wants to hear - they wouldn't keep playing even if the netcode had perfect rollback. I think the game will remain niche, but if the devs can manage a constant stream of updates to keep the faithful userbase energized, I think they can work up enough steam for a VF6 release, something I thought completely impossible just a year ago. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Virtua Fighter is my favorite fighting game series. They released it for free on PS+ too.

Silva

Arcane
Well, I should knew the vets would be right. The last couple days the connection was unstable af, making the game unplayable to me (specially because I'm stupid and trying to main Aoi which is totally time-based).

And yeah, I'm out of the noob zone and so my win ratio dropped to 50%. Thanks for the informative post , The Great Deceiver . I'll consider getting a simpler character to learn the fundamentals. What do you think of Goh? Looks simple and has some grappling which I like.

Oh, and some people spam low punches like their lives depended on it. I usually manage to deal with it by timing some mid elbows right after defending them, but sometimes it's impossible due to lag not computing my commands fast enough. Makes sense? Is there another way to deal with it?

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
"I'm faster than lightning!"
I admit I find the characters lame as fuck though. In this respect Tekken is better.

The spread of styles is weird too, with 6 or so kung-fu fighters, some very similar to one another. Pai Chan, Eileen and Lion look too similar, and so one could go. Lau Chan is too generic and could go too. Sarah should be reworked into taekwondo proper, right now she is just a generic kicker. And why da fuck Akira has karate clothes if his art is Chinese?!

Also, something weird I noticed: the different fighter sizes are... weird. Jean doesnt look like a 6 feet tal guy no, he looks like a mini-Titan from Attack on Titan anime, look the size of this head! And El Blaze doesnt look like a short guy, instead he looks like a dwarf. I mean, there's something wrong with these models. I saw some footages from VF5FE and it feels better there. Perhaps this if the remaster fault.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Lau Chan was inspired by Hwang Jang-lee from the Jackie Chan movie Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, who was also the inspiration for Tao Pai Pai from Dragon Ball. And Lau's daughter is also named Pai.

ZHAEpxB.jpg

paipai.png

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Lau Chan was inspired by Hwang Jang-lee from the Jackie Chan movie Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, who was also the inspiration for Tao Pai Pai from Dragon Ball. And Lau's daughter is also named Pai.

ZHAEpxB.jpg

paipai.png
Interesting, but we're not in the 80s anymore and all these kung-fu animal styles feel irrelevant (and shit).

Also, looking again, Brad is a weaksauce faggot who can't decide on kickboxing or thai. Gimme a proper Buakaw clone instead and I'm good...

hqdefault.jpg

Silva you where asking for some basic info on each character
I'm by no means an expert but here's the few things I learned from playing:

• Akira > poster boy and walking earthquake (very move shakes the screen for some reason), he has short combo strings comparatively with other offensive charadcters, but really good damage potential (one bad read and he slices your HP like butter), and to be effective with him you need good understanding of nitaku and reverse nitaku, although it seems to me (and I might be wrong on this one) that he doesn't have many circular attacks, so don't go around throwing attacks, very high risk/reward fighter, not an easy begginer character since he has tricky moves and some legacy stuff but if you're into tierfaggotry Akira is basically the best

• Jean > karate kid and virtua fighter's version of Jin Kazama, as such he has a good all-round moveslist (good balance of offense and defense), pretty good mid range game and above average strike damage, another cool thing is that he has alot of charging moves (all of them can be feinted) and circular attacks, so you can play alot mind games with his mix-ups, HOWEVER his grapples/throws are weak, he kinda lacks variety in his moves plus a good chunk of them are slow in execution, and finally he doesn't deal very well with pressure (doesn't have a lot of moves to deal with abare)
These last two are the ones I know the best (specially jean) because they are effectively my mains, the ones I played the most
Now the next characters I am not as familiar, and this mostly what I've observed:

• Vanessa > hot brazilian chick, definitely not begginer friendly, as she has 2 stances (the offensive and defensive stances) and she's very much a full complete character in each one of them, if you plan on picking her just try to gradually learn one stance untill you're confortable before moving on to the next (it was for this sheer amount of shit to learn that I dropped her), as for the stances themselves: defensive is more heavy on the throws, has good evasive moves, automatically counters any standing punch, but not very good in combo potential, and not appropriate to fight defensive players; offensive is the opposite, great for keeping up pressure and has a unique grapple (the tackle) that you can string in all manner of combos, but this style doesn't have many mids, so watch out for crouched punishes; on a final note, in VF a character's weight is important as it influences how well you can lauch an enemy and how much damage they will take, and since Vanessa is a lightweight she can get slapped around pretty easy

• Wolf > pretty much King, grappler character clearly based on popular wrestlers, some of the most damaging moves in the game, but his strike game is very basic and lack strings (you can still do good damage with it though), so if blocked or evaded he's at a big disadvantage, he does "break" some of VF rules in the fact that the fastest move in the game is one of his throws plus he has two unbreakable grapples, finally despite his 100+ moveset you only need some 20 moves

• Kage > his strong suit lies in his mobility and ability to confuse opponents, pretty good at throwing people of the arenas + some safe launchers, has the fastest jab in the game (11 frames) and his pokes are in general fast and safe, has some versatile stances that can be weaved into combos, however attacks with evasive properties are often slow which obviously leaves him open, his combo damage isn't great and does require higher execution than the average character

• Jacky > bruce lee character (funny considering he's a white boy), he's all about offense, that means big combo strings, good lows (in vf5fs lows generally aren't good) and one of the few character you can reliably fight by mashing so he's a good begginer's choice, but characters with good defence are quite tricky to fight against

• Brad > the muay-thai wop, another offensive dynamo, always reminded me of Steve Fox from Tekken (not just for the apparence but also for the fighting style), one of the best characters in terms of punish capabilities (like Steve Fox), has alot of circular attacks (both highs, mids and lows), also has some head sways (you know... like Steve Fox), the obvious weakness is that his grappling is shit (although he has a catch-throw)

• Jeffrey > he's a big guy, if you like characters that brutalise their opponents than he's the guy for you, he has above average grappling game but he's not a grappler, he's strength lies in his striking game, his combos are straightforward, easy to perform and do alot of damage, plus since he's heavy dude he gets less damage after being launched, a considerable weakness is that he has a hard time taking the initiative, but overall he's up there with Jacky as one of the easiest characters to pick up and play

I'm copying this here. Thanks, DJOGamer.

Venser

Erudite
How come every character has a specific fighting style in their profile and Sarah's just says the most generic thing ever: Her fighting style, her martial art is "Martial Arts" What the fuck?

Virtua-Fighter-5-Ultimate-Showdown-20210610213401.png

Silva you're tagging an impostor, my monocled name has no article.

psn id: g_deceiver

Though I'm in hueland, I very much doubt we'd get a decent connection unless you also happen to be in hueland.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't have a PS4 mate
My friend I play VF with has a PS4, but I only occasionally hang out at his place
Plus considering I live in the old continent I doubt we could have a decent match

Silva

Arcane
Melcar , cut the crap and pass the PSN ID so I kick your ass. EDIT: With a woman fighter. :P

Great Deceiver said:
@Silva you're tagging an impostor, my monocled name has no article.

psn id: g_deceiver

Though I'm in hueland, I very much doubt we'd get a decent connection unless you also happen to be in hueland.
I'm a huelander too (Rio de Janeiro).

Last edited:
So I've been playing with Silva on and off without realizing it was Silva. I just had a Biden moment.

GGs though, your Aoi is really improving! Any other hues on the board who wanna play VF?

Silva

Arcane
So I've been playing with Silva on and off without realizing it was Silva. I just had a Biden moment.

GGs though, your Aoi is really improving! Any other hues on the board who wanna play VF?
Fuck. I knew that g_deceiver dude sounded familiar. :lol:

And woah, you're a virtuoso in this game. Semrosto is the best guy I know and you beat him. Your taste is terrible though. Your Lau looks like Super Mario with that hat.

P.S: If you wanna get in our WhatsApp group lemme know. Me (Theolessa), Semrosto, Kenkabushi, BrunoDarkHero, Dougendanken, etc. are there. I entered it recently myself and it seems a fairly pleasant and respectful bunch. We play almost every day in lobbies.

Last edited:

Fuck. I knew that g_deceiver dude sounded familiar. :lol:

And woah, you're a virtuoso in this game. Semrosto is the best guy I know and you beat him. Your taste is terrible though. Your Lau looks like Super Mario with that hat.

P.S: If you wanna get in our WhatsApp group lemme know. Me (Theolessa), Semrosto, Kenkabushi, BrunoDarkHero, Dougendanken, etc. are there. I entered it recently myself and it seems a fairly pleasant and respectful bunch. We play almost every day in lobbies.

Haha, the cosmetics in this version are really really basic. Final Showdown had tons of cool items, including special items with special win stances, etc. I hope they add them all in a future patch (especially nice would be the custom intros that you could use in the arcade version when selecting your character), but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah add me to that group bro, I'm always up for playing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom