Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Reboot of a title - Sekiro.

Wut? Reboot of wut exactly?

While creating the Sekiro, lead director Hidetaka Miyazaki wanted to create a new intellectual property (IP) that marked a departure from the Souls series of games also made by FromSoftware, and looked to series such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle and Tenchu for inspiration.

Something different - Deracine

Horror adventure in VR? Yeah, that fits.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Reboot of a title - Sekiro.

Wut? Reboot of wut exactly?

While creating the Sekiro, lead director Hidetaka Miyazaki wanted to create a new intellectual property (IP) that marked a departure from the Souls series of games also made by FromSoftware, and looked to series such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle and Tenchu for inspiration.

I recall reading that the game started as a reboot of Tenchu, but over the course of early planning they realized that it's becoming its own thing so they decided to make it a new IP instead. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason why Activision was involved as a publisher too, because they used to publish Tenchu games in NA back in the old days.

Speaking to Games Industry, From Software community manager Yasuhiro Kitao revealed that Sekiro was originally planned as a new installment of Tenchu, the studio's long-dormant stealth-action ninja series. "When we originally set out to create something different from Dark Souls and our previous titles, we thought it would be interesting to make a Japanese themed game. So from that we started going in the direction of the shinobi and ninja, and of course Tenchu was an IP with that history; that was the original impetus for this project," Kitao explained.

"The second one is a reboot of a title we've worked on in the past, or a new game that uses that as a starting point."

Also it fits this quote.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What I did expect -given bloodborne and sekiro- was a bigger departure from the des/dks/ds2/ds3 formula than the cheap DS3 with horsie reskin impression the trailer gives.

As i discussed this before, a return to Dark Souls was needed precisely because of the departure they took with BB and Sekiro.

You guys are just arguing change for the sake of change without taking into considerations the implications of going further down the path they started with Sekiro, a game that was less of an RPG and more of a pure action game with reduced build options and simplified level design.

People seem to have forgotten that ther were other things in Dark Souls besides the combat, things like build variety and exploration. You know, RPG shit.

Ho, also, online pvp and coop. Awkard implementation or not, i loved that shit in the Souls games. Who cares if people have the option to trivalize bosses i loved helping them lmao.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Here's hoping Fromsoft will go Zelda route and the overworld with horses will be separated from the actual tightly-designed dungeons.

I think that's a given if only because it is more likely that they'd stick to what they know instead of try something truly different like a complete open world game.

And that's completely to our advantage btw.

The worst case scenario is that they expand on what they did with level design in DS3.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
What I did expect -given bloodborne and sekiro- was a bigger departure from the des/dks/ds2/ds3 formula than the cheap DS3 with horsie reskin impression the trailer gives.

As i discussed this before, a return to Dark Souls was needed precisely because of the departure they took with BB and Sekiro.

You guys are just arguing change for the sake of change without taking into considerations the implications of going further down the path they started with Sekiro, a game that was less of an RPG and more of a pure action game with reduced build options and simplified level design.

People seem to have forgotten that ther were other things in Dark Souls besides the combat, things like build variety and exploration. You know, RPG shit.

Ho, also, online pvp and coop. Awkard implementation or not, i loved that shit in the Souls games. Who cares if people have the option to trivalize bosses i loved helping them lmao.

All Hail Dark Souls Primordial Tradition! Fuck off moderntards with your desire for change! We will play the same game ETERNALLY because it has a spark of ETERNITY in it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

All Hail Dark Souls Primordial Tradition! Fuck off moderntards with your desire for change! We will play the same game ETERNALLY because it has a spark of ETERNITY in it.

Das rite figgits.

Curratum

You all know From can only make one good type of game and that's DS. Why are you even moaning the game is DS4?

That's the only type of game they do well, I'd much rather have a DS4 than some half-assed attempt at Jap devs "innovating".

Curratum

How would we know that? That's the only game they do.

You know because it took them fucking ages to work out the kinks and get things to a mechanically polished state where the controls aren't ass, the camera is fluid and the game runs well and is just a smooth experience that is fun to play and you don't have to wait 20 hours to get fast travel or deal with tons of other assorted Japanese autism, but all that only happened after they've been making the same game for a decade.

Wunderbar

Arcane

You know because it took them fucking ages to work out the kinks and get things to a mechanically polished state where the controls aren't ass, the camera is fluid and the game runs well and is just a smooth experience that is fun to play and you don't have to wait 20 hours to get fast travel or deal with tons of other assorted Japanese autism, but all that only happened after they've been making the same game for a decade.
Souls games are actually declined with time. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 made a few steps forward and a few steps backward ultimately staying in the same spot, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne threw mechanical complexity away in favor of twitch action. Given your remark about "fast travel" it seems like dumb twitch rollfests are right up your alley, you filthy decline enabler.

Curratum

Souls games are actually declined with time. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 made a few steps forward and a few steps backward ultimately staying in the same spot, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne threw mechanical complexity away in favor of twitch action. Given your remark about "fast travel" it seems like dumb twitch rollfests are right up your alley, you filthy decline enabler.

I don't like DS3 either, it's the game I played the least. My favorite is actually 2, just because of the 8-way roll and the PVP that actually works.

There exists a happy medium between the very fast BB style combat and the clunkiness of DS1. Hopefully Elden manages to find that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My impression is that they want to do both. Wouldn't surprise me if they are going to announce a Sekiro 2 or some shit later on.

Hellion

Arcane

Swamps Confirmed

5jpn4YF.png

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Wtf have they been doing for >4 years

Coke and hookers with the CDPR lads?

Alternatively, coke, hookers and marbled steaks with Martin? From the material presented, you wouldn't be able to tell he did anything else, unless Find [Ashen One] -> Replace [Tarnished] counts as literary effort these days.

Looking at the 'gameplay', I'm not sure I want to play another i-frame/magic sleepwalking simulator. Sekiro combat this ain't.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You guys are just arguing change for the sake of change

People may be bummed bc they still remember how their 1st FromSoft game blew their minds and from the ER trailer it's clear this is not gonna be happening this time around. We''ll be getting getting p. much more of the same. There might never be any more mind blowing with any future FS games, sadly.

praetor

Arcane

other than the overarching story and (sometimes) atmosphere, pretty much nothing in DS1/2 is a step backwards compared to DeS. mechanically they're both so much better it's not a few steps, but a couple of continents forward. you may argue about bonfire/checkpoint placement and level design, but then you'd just be wrong_carlo :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom