Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How biased against melee is the game?

First map makes it seem pretty bad, with the flying and wall-climbing enemies.

Guessing it gets better with haste and fly.
There some encounters where you won't be able to attack in melee all the enemies, but it's more the exception than the norm. I had a dedicated ranged character and, paired with the Wizard, it was enough to deal efficiently with every unreachable/hard to reach enemy.

Parabalus

Arcane

Just equip ranged weapons in your second weapon set on everything and it's fine.

That happens by default already.

Was easier to just shoot everyone with it than bother with chasing enemies in melee, that's why I asked.

There some encounters where you won't be able to attack in melee all the enemies, but it's more the exception than the norm. I had a dedicated ranged character and, paired with the Wizard, it was enough to deal efficiently with every unreachable/hard to reach enemy.

It actually seems to get better as you get further, the vast majority of mid game encounters I've seen so far have been mostly grounded with the occasional enemy up high.

Having a dedicated ranged character is definitely a good choice though. Also make sure your wizard can cast fly on your melee(s) for when it's needed.

Edit: Should also point out fly is really fucking useful for exploration in this game as well, so another reason to make sure you take it on wizard.

Is a rogue enough?

Went with pal/cleric(war)/rog/wiz, gonna be fine prob.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Just equip ranged weapons in your second weapon set on everything and it's fine.

That happens by default already.

Was easier to just shoot everyone with it than bother with chasing enemies in melee, that's why I asked.

It actually seems to get better as you get further, the vast majority of mid game encounters I've seen so far have been mostly grounded with the occasional enemy up high.

Having a dedicated ranged character is definitely a good choice though. Also make sure your wizard can cast fly on your melee(s) for when it's needed.

Edit: Should also point out fly is really fucking useful for exploration in this game as well, so another reason to make sure you take it on wizard.

Is a rogue enough?

It should be fine. I actually restarted and rerolled my rogue to a ranger with lowlife background, but I noticed most of my frustration with unreachable enemies was mostly early game anyway.

It seems like they frontloaded most of the annoying wall climbing encounters and out of reach enemies to show off the verticality, mid-late game seems to have way less of those types of encounters.

Just make sure you have secondary ranged weapons on characters.

Getting spider climb boots or cloak on melee characters is also really helpful for dealing with the occasional wall climbers later on.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is a rogue enough?

Yes, absolutely. You just need to find a way to have advantage on the attack roll to deal a lot of damage with a rogue against an enemy that you can't reach with your melee characters. In most situation you should be able to find a way to hide with your bonus action, and an hidden character gains advantage. Just be sure to start with Dexterity 17 and pick the Uncanny Accuracy as soon as possible: it's easy for enemies to hide behind cover, and +2/+5 to attack rolls is a lot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3216168

What's Next & Rewards Update!

Hi there folks!

We're back with a little preview of our what's coming up next, as well as an update on the Kickstarter Rewards and some help for folks who are having issues!

What's next?
For now we're done with our first round of Hotfixes, and we'll disappear for some times in order to prepare... The Sorcerer Update!

2403f252da607f8d41b82e535013b8fd_original.png

As those of you who followed us since Kickstarter already know, we promised the Sorcerer Class as a free post-launch DLC - and we intend to follow up on that promise!

Working on a Sorcerer will take some time, which is why we can't afford as a small team to keep testing and releasing hotfixes while doing so - but worry not, we will still be working on small improvements and fixes while getting the Sorcerer ready. Things such as the Tome of Understanding not working will be properly fixed with the Sorcerer Update as well!

So... the next question is when? We're happy to say that the Sorcerer Update should drop in the upcoming weeks, so keep the game warmed up in your library as you may want to do another run soon!

... Also, know that there will be a little something in that update for our Russian and Brazilian fans :)

Remaining Kickstarter Rewards
Now that the launch is over, it's also a good time to talk a bit about the remaining Kickstarter rewards! First of all, if you are still having issues with redeeming your rewards please make sure you read the FAQ update on Kickstarter.

The following rewards, provided they were part of your backer tier, should already be available:
  • In-game Kickstarter Items & Spell VFX
  • Supporter Pack Extra Dice
  • Digital Orchestral Soundtrack (Steam Key)
Now, as for the remaining ones:

Solasta Digital World Map

This one is ready to go, however we'll be bundling it with the rest to avoid spamming you with CrowdOx mails (since it sends one every time a reward is added).

The Solasta Tabletop Sourcebook (PDF)

We're working on it, and it's progressing smoothly! We'll post a few pictures on Twitter and Discord soon :)

The Dev Documents

We'll start gathering these, as we're now slowly moving away from the rush of the 1.0 launch. Beware though, there will be a lot of French and terrible, terrible humour in these documents. Sanity Checks will be rolled as you go through these documents!

Physical Rewards

The Adventure Box and the Sourcebook might be slightly delayed due to the current situation in the tabletop industry. For those who may not already know, compared to 2019 the landscape has changed a little - on top of which we've been very busy focusing on the 1.0 launch of Solasta.

That said, delay does not mean cancellation (not at all). We have most of the files ready and we're simply waiting for the completing of the Solasta Sourcebook (PDF) to get manufacturers to start working on our Kickstarter goodies!

For the Vinyl, our audio partner G4F should be sending those sometimes during summer! We'll relay the information as soon as they are shipped :)

Finally for the paintings, our Art Director is currently taking some well deserved time away from the screen... and close to his brush. We'll share some pictures in the upcoming weeks^^
Known Issues & Work Around
I have a high end GPU (GTX 2070, 3090...) and Solasta keeps overheating my computer!

We found out that the game does not perform properly above 60 FPS :( The solution is to go to the graphic setting and either switch VSync to Double, or if that doesn't work, switch VSync to none and to cap your FPS at 60

My main quest is stuck even though the patch notes says it's fixed!

Most of the time if you sequence break (aka you manage to bypass a trigger that would make the quest move on), a patch won't fix your save retroactively. This means you will need to load a previous save file and re-do the level - for example, if you're stuck in Dark Castle, you will need to load a save from the start of Dark Castle (or before you arrived at Dark Castle).

I used to be stuck in a weird screen with clouds when I started a new campaign

This was an issue primarily with Windows 7 configs where Microsoft removed a certain codec that prevents Unity videos from working. We should have implemented a work-around without having to delete the movie in your folder, but if you are still stuck please make sure to let us know (at worst, the old work-around still works)

1.0.22 Patch Notes:
  • Removed outdated crafting recipe for scroll of Mirror Image that doesn't work
  • Made sure a certain Sorak can now be targeted while hanging on the wall
  • Fixed some AoE spells looking very strange when cast next to walls
  • Fixed one specific beard being misplaced on dwarven faces
  • Fixed an issue when two cutscenes were trying to trigger at the same time
  • Fixed a couple of crashes that could occur during specific encounters
  • Fixed an issue which could cause the quest journal to break when the player would go back and forth between too many quests at once without completing any of them.
  • Attempting a hotfix to "being stuck when starting a new campaign". Users affected by the issue should now see a variation of the Intro Movie, though without sound.
  • Fixed a save corruption issue if a character equipped an Orc Shortbow, Orc Javelin or Ogre Javelin. Saves that were corrupted in this manner should now properly load.
  • Fixed an issue when loading an Early Access save where a certain cutscene with Merton... did not have Merton in it. Making it very awkward.
  • Improved a few cutscenes when talking to Merton
  • Fixed an instance where the Lowlife and Sellsword cutscenes would trigger at the same time
  • Fixed a rare save corruption issue which could happen when the player saved while a scroll was being scribed
  • Fixed a sequence break in Dark Castle where players who managed to go through a tree in a certain place could end up getting their main quest stuck.
  • If your main quest is stuck in Dark Castle, you will need to load a save prior to entering Dark Castle / right after entering the Dark Castle location from the World Map
  • Fixed a rare sequence break in Dark Castle that could happen if players used Misty Step while trying to solve the Maze puzzle.
  • Fixed a rare issue in Caer Lem where the main quest would not progress after defeating Soraks in combat
  • Guardian of Faith can now be cast (although it is lacking some VFX for now)
  • Fixed an instance in the Evocation Main Quest where the door would not open when meeting with Brok in front of the Throne Room to face Arrok.
  • Fixed some items being deleted by reordering the inventory while trying to sell things at a shop
  • Banishment should now correctly permanently banish extraplanar creatures when the banished target is the last remaining enemy in the fight.
  • Ending a fight with a creature controlled by Dominate Person will automatically kill it, instead of having it follow you everywhere (and unfortunately breaking the game in the process)
  • Fixed an exploit wherein selecting a sub-class during level up, then cancelling the level up process, then using the level up to select another sub-class would grant you the features of both sub-classes
  • Fixed the issue where shooting a bow with a Dwarf would cause massive delays every time
  • Fixed a rare instance in Cradle of Fire where none of the characters would have a dialog choice when trying to give back the axe to Radulf, effectively blocking the game
  • Fixed a rare instance in one Council cutscene where none of the characters would have a dialog choice, effectively blocking the game
  • Remove outdated Scroll of Mirror Image from the game
  • Fixed Poison Vial acting like a Healing Potion
  • Finally added Primed Longsword to the Arcaneum Shop
  • Calm Emotion now only affects humanoids like it should
  • Fixed a sequence break where obtaining the bones in Aer Elai before entering a fight would block progress on the main quest.
  • If you are affected by this issue, you need to load a save from before you looted the bones
Best,

Myzzrym

Last edited by a moderator:

jackofshadows

Magister
I told you keeping the +3 to saves enabled will lead to this. I had a much better time deep late, I abused the wind sneks aswell, but also large amounts of control spells.
Thing is, I had only 1 caster: wizard. So his concentration slot spell was occupied by conjure minor elementals most of the times because otherwise there's too much incoming damage, even fighter with 27 AC reliably got hit, not to mention possible spell damage. The only control spell that I've used in this scenario was mind twist and it turned out pretty good even with +3 penalty but that's not an easy spell to cast. In other words, I brought this boredom on myself by choosing fighter and ranger for such a long campain. Pretty sure pala/cleric would've been more fun.

By the way, forgot to bitch about animations one last time: they're unbelievably fucking slow EVEN with pressed spacebar at all times. For anyone starting to play and thinking "they aren't that slow what the fuck is he talking about" - install cheat engine, say thanks later.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I told you keeping the +3 to saves enabled will lead to this. I had a much better time deep late, I abused the wind sneks aswell, but also large amounts of control spells.
Thing is, I had only 1 caster: wizard. So his concentration slot spell was occupied by conjure minor elementals most of the times because otherwise there's too much incoming damage, even fighter with 27 AC reliably got hit, not to mention possible spell damage. The only control spell that I've used in this scenario was mind twist and it turned out pretty good even with +3 penalty but that's not an easy spell to cast. In other words, I brought this boredom on myself by choosing fighter and ranger for such a long campain. Pretty sure pala/cleric would've been more fun.

By the way, forgot to bitch about animations one last time: they're unbelievably fucking slow EVEN with pressed spacebar at all times. For anyone starting to play and thinking "they aren't that slow what the fuck is he talking about" - install cheat engine, say thanks later.

Worst was the other day when I aggro'd some vampires in a crypt with zero way for them to get to my party, they literally spent about a minute each doing nothing.

I thought the game had bugged out, but they did eventually finish their turns.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question about paladins: if you have 2 or more do the aura bonus stacks? Do if you roll 4 pals the volcanic aura are 4* so it gives you bonus +4 AC or they don't stack?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Question about paladins: if you have 2 or more do the aura bonus stacks? Do if you roll 4 pals the volcanic aura are 4* so it gives you bonus +4 AC or they don't stack?
Even though the same type bonuses do stack in 5E, the same spell/source bonuses do not.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
experienced my 1st death, was powerless.

Got ambushed on worldmap by 5 red spiders. Each attacking 3 times. By the time I could move I actually couldnt... whole party was paralyzed, even my 20con dwarf with 29ac. By the time I could move all I could do is shake my head and reload

Apart from some QoL improvements and new classes/ multiclassing the best way to quickly improve any future campaign (considering that they are going to be dungeon crawlers) would be to make dungeons less linear. All dungeons I have seen so far consist mostly of a linear progression of encounters and some puzzles inbetween. Dungeon in which you decide where you go next and have some optional, tougher encounters would made the whole game a lot stronger.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Apart from some QoL improvements and new classes/ multiclassing the best way to quickly improve any future campaign (considering that they are going to be dungeon crawlers) would be to make dungeons less linear. All dungeons I have seen so far consist mostly of a linear progression of encounters and some puzzles inbetween. Dungeon in which you decide where you go next and have some optional, tougher encounters would made the whole game a lot stronger.
The whole game is a big corridor you follow, soooo yeah.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the final boss. Lmao

i casted insect plague right at the entrance of the portal and position my party right behind the area. Most of the mooks died as soon as they reached my fighter and paladin. If they didn't, the anticipation attack finished them. The only one i rrally had to fight was the tsar and the warrior.

So yea. That's it i guess. Good game, should have used the less xp mod or play cataclysm mode. I enjoyed it a lot more than i should due to there wasn't really anything good since underrail: expeditions. Otherwise solid 7/10 game that can easily be 9/10 if they fix the shitty inventory UI and the progression balance.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
IS this game even good?

What does it compare to? for better or for worse?

BG3 EA? D:OS 1+2? Pathfinder?

Better than any of those?

GloomFrost

Arcane
IS this game even good?

What does it compare to? for better or for worse?

BG3 EA? D:OS 1+2? Pathfinder?

Better than any of those?
Oh man God NO. Soylasta is nothing like any of the games you mentioned. Even IceWind Dale and Temple of Elemental evil got way more RPG in them. Soylasta is basically Blackguards with mediocre graphics, SJW shit and no balance whatsoever. The biggest disappointment of 2021 so far. Avoid.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I consider Solasta a promising first game from a new developer, but there are a few obvious improvements that would enable their next game to greatly surpass the original:

• Larger party size, at minimum 6 PCs versus the current 4, to boost diversity of party composition and increase replayability
  • Wilderness exploration, rather than merely selecting a destination on a map
  • Proper dungeons with non-linearity and puzzles, rather than a mostly linear sequence of fights
  • More logistics and other effects to improve exploration
  • Decent cosmetic aspects in the character creator (cf. Dragon's Dogma) with vastly improved faces

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom