Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Iconic & Unique Items in RPG History

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
El's Drinker from Dark Sun.

The Amulet of Balance from Ultima VII Serpent Isle.

Bloodlust from Wizardry 8 (so good early on you want to spec your party to use it)

DraQ

Arcane
Boots of Blinding Speed from Morrowind.

Yeah it increases your speed by 200 and makes you super fucking fast, faster even than if you maxed out your speed stat naturally.

But it also makes you blind and your screen turns black.

BUT you can equip items that grant magic resistance, then put on the boots, and the negative effect will be blocked.
BoBs are the perfect scrub detector:
Why even look at them* if you can make your own Icarian Daedalian Flight spell/item?

Technically in an un-MCP'd blindness erroneously boosted rather than debuffed to-hit, but eh.

Also, they have a fairly JF-specific drawback:
They are boots.
:troll:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Scroll of Icarian Flight from Morrowind

It was just mindblowing to see that it was possible to jump over half of the game world.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I recently picked up this bad boy

Ik6unNP.png

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The cursed Girdle of Femininity and Masculinity, a rare yet oft-discussed magical item, is wrought with a most powerful magic. Anyone unfortunate enough to secure it around their waist instantly finds their gender to be transformed. It is said that not fifty years past, a nameless court jester was beheaded for presenting the girdle as a gift to Duke Lobelahn's lover.

DaveO

Erudite
For me, it will always be the +7 greatsword in Alvis' tower in the Eternal Dagger game. Sure, it only does physical damage. But that 28 cut damage is very hard to resist and the only other sword you can get is one that does fire damage. This is decent, but there are plenty of ways to burn your enemies using fireball with your mages.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me it was the Mentor's Ring from Morrowind. It was a genre-defining item for me from the first open world sandbox crpg I played. Finding that ring for the first time showed so tangibly that there are items of tremendous power out there, and all I have to do is to go out there and find them.

Very rewarding to follow up that rumour in Seyda Neen and actually find that ring. One of many nice experiences from when I still loved Morrowind.

However, I would still say that the most iconic item in rpg history must be the Stone of Jordan from Diablo 2. Really, has there ever been an item that had a similar meaning to almost an entire generation of gamers?

I completed D2 with all classes on Hell and never saw a SoJ. An entire generation of gamers must have been doing a tremendous amount of farming (or duping), or maybe I just used the wrong patch (1.09)?

Thal

Augur
I completed D2 with all classes on Hell and never saw a SoJ. An entire generation of gamers must have been doing a tremendous amount of farming (or duping), or maybe I just used the wrong patch (1.09)?

Yes this was actually one of my points. I was also talking about battle.net mainly. In the early years, esp. before LoD, SoJ was almost a mythical item due to it's power and rarity (mechanics for spawning it weren't widely know). I would say it was definitely the most sought after item, perhaps aside from dual-leech rings, but only dupers and those in the know seemed to have one. So it was at the same time used as a currency, but a large part of the playerbase never had even a single one, including me. I didn't possess one for many years, and by then you already had runewords and whatnot.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

ferratilis

Magister
Moonlight Greatsword, an iconic item appearing in almost all FromSoft RPGs in some form, going all the way back to King's Field.

a1JIU4B.png

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
El's Drinker from Dark Sun. Good damage and leeches HP from enemies.

Axe of the Lost Time from Arcanum. Slowest weapon ever - 1 speed; insane max damage - 6-72, but fluctuates wildly; also can haste enemies or allies. Very cool to use.

Bangellian Scourge from Arcanum. Awesome damage, casts Harm, Lightning and Quench Life, but drops your karma to the minimum. The sword with a backstory.

Radiane

Cipher
Definitely one of the most iconic items ever: Always a great joy to behold when you grab em the one and only that makes you strong:

Mushrooms-Super-Mario-Nintendo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom