Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Iconic & Unique Items in RPG History

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Definitely one of the most iconic items ever: Always a great joy to behold when you grab em the one and only that makes you strong:

Mushrooms-Super-Mario-Nintendo
Stop promoting drugs.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Scroll of Icarian Flight from Morrowind

It was just mindblowing to see that it was possible to jump over half of the game world.

It's also so memorable an instance of trap design. Not the sort where you equip an unidentified item that ends up cursed and you should've known better but here you watch a man fall screaming from the sky to his death, find scrolls of flight on his corpse, and - why not - use them yourself.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I completed D2 with all classes on Hell and never saw a SoJ. An entire generation of gamers must have been doing a tremendous amount of farming (or duping), or maybe I just used the wrong patch (1.09)?

Yes this was actually one of my points. I was also talking about battle.net mainly. In the early years, esp. before LoD, SoJ was almost a mythical item due to it's power and rarity (mechanics for spawning it weren't widely know). I would say it was definitely the most sought after item, perhaps aside from dual-leech rings, but only dupers and those in the know seemed to have one. So it was at the same time used as a currency, but a large part of the playerbase never had even a single one, including me. I didn't possess one for many years, and by then you already had runewords and whatnot.

Back in the day there was a whole price chart for what an SOJ was worth and one of them was 40 chipped gems. I saw someone in one of the channels offer to pay 40 chipped gems for an SOJ so I told him to meet me in a private game. He comes in, opens trade, I put down the SOJ and he says "one sec." He runs his mule Necromancer's boney little ass to the personal stash and a few minutes later it all begins. I wait as just about every tiny square in that trade window is filled up with gem after gem after gem, one by one, because that was the way. They were all chipped topaz gems with a few scattered ones here and there.

Then I typed to him, "I didn't intend to trade, I just wanted to see if you'd actually put 40 chipped gems in the trade window." Then I closed and exited game.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Girdle of Hill Giant Strength/Girdle of Strength

How has this not been mentioned?

Dorateen

Arcane

Fun anecdote about a Girdle of Giant Strength. In Pools of Darkness, there is one available that can be picked off the body of a dead elf in Myth Drannor. I missed it the first time exploring the area, but after moving on, I made a secondary party through the use of the Export function to go back and retrieve the item.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Enserric, the talking sword from NWN: Hordes of the Underdark. In addition to talking, he's a vampiric sword, so he comments about the taste of everything he's being swung at. Always brings a smile to my face the first time I grab him.

Dorateen

Arcane

Because it's boring? What's so unique about a stat increase?

Because in old D&D/AD&D stat increases were actually not that common. And Girdles of Giant Strength were one of the few ways to attain exceptional strength. Gauntlets of Ogre Power might get a character to 18/00 but the Girdle goes into the twenties, which was unheard of for most players in earlier editions.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Because it's boring? What's so unique about a stat increase?

Because in old D&D/AD&D stat increases were actually not that common. And Girdles of Giant Strength were one of the few ways to attain exceptional strength. Gauntlets of Ogre Power might get a character to 18/00 but the Girdle goes into the twenties, which was unheard of for most players in earlier editions.

And thus began the slide into D3/MMO-style itemization hell. Items should tell stories that mere stats cannot.

Let the One Ring be your guide.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Falksi

Arcane
As others have said, Lilarcor for obvious reasons.

Boots of Blinding Speed for sure too. I wish that they'd drop crafting, and include far more "combine-able" items which are useless individually, but which used together like the BOBS are game-changers. Really adds to that sense of mystery and wonder.

Other note-able ones I can think of are:
  • Squall's Gunblade in FF8 - fucking retarded in every way, but just so cool it doesn't matter.

Fuck. I thought there'd be more.

Gregz

Arcane
Some of my favorites:

D&D - Staff of the Magi, Deck of Many Things, Ring of the Ram

Everquest - Journeyman's Boots, Flowing Black Robe

Diablo II - Stone of Jordan

Temple of Elemental Evil - Fragarach, Scather

Deus Ex - Dragon's Tooth

Master of Magic - Torin (not an item, but he wins)

NetHack - Mjollnir

Daggerfall - The Hircine Ring

The Bard's Tale - Fire Horn

Wasteland - Proton Axe

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are so many interesting items. Why nobody mentioned Robes of Vecna?

33r1Qjg.png

Gothic franchise : Claw of Beliar + Adanos Robe
T0PS2z0.png

Y12DKTu.png

And the iconic power armor from Fallout franchise? With the iconic brush gun and anti materiel rifle?
hVURMet.png

2tyL1Cv.png

XN3xz2h.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom