Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Think those ladder climbing animations are just for the trailer or has Todd finally solved the big problem?

vibehunter

Learned
Nothing about the game stands out to me. For a game that Bethesda “has always dreamed of making” they sure did a poor job selling it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All the other open world games fail compared to Bethesda because they're not even half as moddable.

And it isn't just that they are moddable but they have actual game systems going on (which help a ton with making mods that are more interesting than reskins and item stat changes) whereas other games often rely way more on rigidly scripted sequences and cutscenes.

Drakortha

Liturgist
THEY DID IT AGAIN!

They teased Starfield for 5 minutes, then told us to go play ESO and F76.

They've been doing this routine for like 3 years in a row now.

Nobody is hyped for this shit game!

Gargaune

Magister
Steam games are also yours if they're installed. It's super fucking easy to crack Steam's own DRM (just paste a generic steam api dll into your install folder and it's cracked), and many games don't even come with any DRM at all and you can just copypaste the install folder to another computer without Steam on it and play the game there.
Really? That's interesting, thanks. I'm still pissed off with Vavra sticking me with the Steam version of KCD instead of letting me wait for GOG. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but I tend to play the game in stints and whenever I remember it's installed, there's another fucking update just waiting to break my mods.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...e-e3-2021-trailer-secrets-revealed-legendary/

Let’s start with the obvious questions: Who are we? Where are we? And what is Constellation?

TH: “Well, the game is set about 300 plus years in our own future. And Constellation is this kind of last group of space explorers. It's like NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a group of people that are still searching for answers. There are a lot of factions in the game but that's the main one that you'll become a part of. It’s kind of like Skyrim in terms of the structure of the game, where you're going to be who you want to be, and then there's different factions that you can join, and really carve your own path.

“So we have one story that we're telling, and then we have a lot of other ones, like we love to do. And our hope is that each player feels like they could say, here's who I want to be in this universe – and then we're giving them an outlet to express that.”

And bad news:

Ok, well at least we can agree on the ladder – which presumably means that, unlike in Skyrim, we can climb things?

TH: “Well... climbing is not... don't read too much into the ladder. It’s a ladder to get you in and out of the spaceship. That’s about it. We may have to clarify that. Exciting video game features - they're a pain in the ass! [laughs]”

They didn't solve the problem, the ladder only exists where AI can't get to it. :M

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just realized the release date: 11.11.2022. I bet my testicles they wanted it to be 11.11.2021, but couldn't make it in time.
Anyways, is this supposed to be more like TES/Fallout, or more like Mass Effect, or more like Destiny? I still have no idea what genre exactly this game is in. Worst marketing ever, the potential customer doesn't know what is being marketed.

ChildInTime

Learned
Just realized the release date: 11.11.2022. I bet my testicles they wanted it to be 11.11.2021, but couldn't make it in time.
Anyways, is this supposed to be more like TES/Fallout, or more like Mass Effect, or more like Destiny? I still have no idea what genre exactly this game is in. Worst marketing ever, the potential customer doesn't know what is being marketed.
It's obvious it's Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind in space, what else do you need to know?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's obvious it's Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind in space, what else do you need to know?

They specifically said that they are "trying something different", so I doubt its exactly Oblivion with Blasters.

Skyrim was released on 11 11 2011. This one release on 11 11 2022.
That's nothing, Star Citizen will release on 22 22 2022, mark your calendars!

More like 03.03.3003

Codex Year of the Donut
They're too busy arguing with the other camp of boneheads about which weak hardware platform is "better".

Their platforms are not weak currently. Try buying a gaming computer with 8 zen 2 cores, 16gb of fast ram, 1 terrabyte ssd and 11 terraflops of rdna2 gpu for 400 euros.
Yes, because the fucktards at Microsoft and Sony sell the hardware at a loss.
In Microsoft's case, in an attempt to literally corner the gaming market.
If Sony goes under, which is looking likely, Microsoft will run amok and literally rape and ruin the games market, fucking the PC platform over pretty much completely for AAA level and as deep as they can go.

And they want all games to be on their shitty subscription model. Easier to control and therefore squeeze games for every cent they can.
Gamepass is only a good value now because they are using it to wreck Sony and get people used to the idea that you will own nothing and be happy.

We already don't own anything. Physical game media is pretty much dead on PC.
the idea that you "own" a game because you have a ""physical copy"" is fucking retarded
a DVD is as much a physical copy as the game sitting on a hard drive

what's next, we pretend most CD/DVD releases didn't have secuROM?

Drakortha

Liturgist
Starfield is the game we've all been dreaming of for our entire lives, and it's 25 years in the making. Todd said it himself.

If I was tasked with writing Todd's script and had to write the stupidest crap, I don't think I could do a better job.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They're too busy arguing with the other camp of boneheads about which weak hardware platform is "better".

Their platforms are not weak currently. Try buying a gaming computer with 8 zen 2 cores, 16gb of fast ram, 1 terrabyte ssd and 11 terraflops of rdna2 gpu for 400 euros.
If Sony goes under, which is looking likely, Microsoft will run amok and literally rape and ruin the games market, fucking the PC platform over pretty much completely for AAA level and as deep as they can go.

And they want all games to be on their shitty subscription model. Easier to control and therefore squeeze games for every cent they can.
Gamepass is only a good value now because they are using it to wreck Sony and get people used to the idea that you will own nothing and be happy.

the idea that you "own" a game because you have a ""physical copy"" is fucking retarded

This debate is irrelevant. You can pirate anything you want, the only reason not to pirate is morality. And if you bought something and feel you own it, the morality argument goes out the window. So it doesn't matter if you have a physical copy, what matters is that you are morally justified to pirate it.
When I wanted to play Warcraft III again, I didn't install from my CD, and then apply 20+ patches that I have backed up. I pirated it. Using CDs is inconvenient and dumb.

Codex Year of the Donut

This debate is irrelevant. You can pirate anything you want, the only reason not to pirate is morality. And if you bought something and feel you own it, the morality argument goes out the window. So it doesn't matter if you have a physical copy, what matters is that you are morally justified to pirate it.
When I wanted to play Warcraft III again, I didn't install from my CD, and then apply 20+ patches that I have backed up. I pirated it. Using CDs is inconvenient and dumb.
my moral justification for pirating nearly everything is that I hate video game developers

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

my moral justification for pirating nearly everything is that I hate video game developers

This amounts to "i do evil because i am evil, therefore i am actually good".
Mind, I pirate too, but its more of a nihilist thing than a spite thing. I'm more of a neutral kind of guy. Still, I support games I like on principle, even if I end up basically playing the pirated copy, buying the retail copy, and never playing it again.

Codex Year of the Donut

This amounts to "i do evil because i am evil, therefore i am actually good".
Mind, I pirate too, but its more of a nihilist thing than a spite thing. I'm more of a neutral kind of guy. Still, I support games I like on principle, even if I end up basically playing the pirated copy, buying the retail copy, and never playing it again.
I don't consider game developers to actually be human so I'm doing nothing wrong.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Keep in mind that the people who do all the work on video games don't get royalties from your purchase unless it's an indie dev.

Codex Year of the Donut
Keep in mind that the people who do all the work on video games don't get royalties from your purchase unless it's an indie dev.
same people will drone on and on about how awful video game developers are treated, crunch, fired after release etc., then be moral busybodies about pirating from unethical companies that treat their employees like shit

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
First impression: Shit.

So it's like back home, in Islamabad?

Hey. Wait a mohammedan minute!

ncs55kJ.png

And yet,
Z1kQocm.png
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane

11 + 11 = 22

2022 on November 11th is the angel numbers dream release date.

#PrayForBethesda

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom