Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the verdict on killing vs diplomacy?

The rewards balanced, or stacked in favour of killing as usual? E.g. Dark Castle Talbuk (guy at pond), the fight in the courtyard etc.
Diplomacy your way out, then steal their shit to trigger the fight anyway. Someone says that doesn't always work, though. It works for Aksha 100%.

That's the first thing I tried, but didn't work for these two. Good to know for the boss, saves a reload.
It works only for the vampire bitch,i would recommend you to just kill anyone. Xp is pretty worthless because you hit max levels halfway,yet they could drop some decent items. Also the combat is the only thing that the game could offer,and that part of the game have the only decent battles that offer some basic challenge.

I couldn't even fight the last boss without failing a diplomacy check, best I could do is chose the lowest % out of the three.

Absolutely disgusting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What's the verdict on killing vs diplomacy?

The rewards balanced, or stacked in favour of killing as usual? E.g. Dark Castle Talbuk (guy at pond), the fight in the courtyard etc.
Diplomacy your way out, then steal their shit to trigger the fight anyway. Someone says that doesn't always work, though. It works for Aksha 100%.

That's the first thing I tried, but didn't work for these two. Good to know for the boss, saves a reload.
It works only for the vampire bitch,i would recommend you to just kill anyone. Xp is pretty worthless because you hit max levels halfway,yet they could drop some decent items. Also the combat is the only thing that the game could offer,and that part of the game have the only decent battles that offer some basic challenge.

I couldn't even fight the last boss without failing a diplomacy check, best I could do is chose the lowest % out of the three.

Absolutely disgusting.
After that you will not meet any more speech checks :lol:. The game is a mess all around,at least old time potato jank like "a farewell to dragons" were consistent. This just shows the decline of rpgs :(

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished it. Took about 25 hours.

The end game definitely feels rushed, both in terms of story and encounter design.

Overall I'd say it's good for what it is™, but definitely no masterpiece. I may replay it in a few years when they've (hopefully) added more content.

I'd be interested to see what this dev team could do with a better ruleset, as there are some well designed encounters here and there.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't mind the item attunement limits so much, but concentration is annoying. Ooh, I'd like to try out that new spell here! Oh, that cancels my concentration? Never mind then. How about this one? No, okay. Then how about-- No. No. It is not allowed. Only 1 fun spell per battle.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5E is a good ruleset.

The whole time I was playing Solasta, all I could really think was "this would be way more fun with Pathfinder rules".
Keep in mind Solasta is not a good representation of 5E. It not only doesn't have all the classes, but also the actual character building.

Still the best adaptation. Which is not hard when the other ""adaptations"" are mobile cashgrabs, DOS3 bg3 and Sword Coast LEgends

I don't mind the item attunement limits so much, but concentration is annoying. Ooh, I'd like to try out that new spell here! Oh, that cancels my concentration? Never mind then. How about this one? No, okay. Then how about-- No. No. It is not allowed. Only 1 fun spell per battle.

5E did it to prevent :

I personally prefer 3E casting, but some people hate having 666 buffs, 666 Sirrocos, walls of fire, incendiary clouds and etc on the battlefield. Is just a matter of preference.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
5E is a good ruleset.

The whole time I was playing Solasta, all I could really think was "this would be way more fun with Pathfinder rules".

Solasta is very refreshing compared to Pathfinder's autistic bonus stacking.

Better?

No, but a welcome change of pace, and a testament that you can have a decent system with way less variables.
LoL you just finished the best part of the game and think that the rest is the same. Come say that bullshit once you finish the final battle where the boss doesn't spawn lol.

Old Hans

Arcane
5E is a good ruleset.

Keep in mind Solasta is not a good representation of 5E. It not only doesn't have all the classes, but also the actual character building.
from what I recall pathfinder was just a lot of "add +1 to X" for most of my character level ups. I wouldn't really call that great

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
5E is a good ruleset.

from what I recall pathfinder was just a lot of "add +1 to X" for most of my character level ups. I wouldn't really call that great

Depends on the class. Take Barbarians for example. A rage power every 2 levels (or can swap a feat choice for another rage power).

Rage powers cover everything from gaining flight, fighting better whilst drunk, to bite attacks and rerolling saves.

Even basic fighter gets weapon and armour advanced training which cover everything from passive bonuses to allowing you to make a free shield bash and bullrush cm on every attack.

Everyone has preferences at the end of the day, but I found Solasta level ups of just getting more HP most of the time to be quite boring.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone has preferences but only in Pathfinder do some people prefer to only play 10% of the game then mistake their own suckage for anything having to do with this ruleset then feel compelled to advertise said suckage to the world.

I stopped playing Solasta after the dev came by to insult me but I don’t then go on to complain that the game is too short because I only got three hours out of it.

They really should take out the +1 feats since they’re such an idiot trap most of the time.

Parabalus

Arcane
5E is a good ruleset.

Solasta is very refreshing compared to Pathfinder's autistic bonus stacking.

Better?

No, but a welcome change of pace, and a testament that you can have a decent system with way less variables.
LoL you just finished the best part of the game and think that the rest is the same. Come say that bullshit once you finish the final battle where the boss doesn't spawn lol.

If that was the best part prob a good idea to uninstall, thanks.

Doesn't have much to do with the 5E system though.

Everyone has preferences but only in Pathfinder do some people prefer to only play 10% of the game then mistake their own suckage for anything having to do with this ruleset then feel compelled to advertise said suckage to the world.

I stopped playing Solasta after the dev came by to insult me but I don’t then go on to complain that the game is too short because I only got three hours out of it.

They really should take out the +1 feats since they’re such an idiot trap most of the time.

PF having so many options just exploring 10% of them is a huge investment.

Usually people find something that works and stick with it.

Goldschmidt

Learned
I am not a fan of turn based in computer games as you can just better play a real boardgame instead. But this game offers a third dimension on the battlefield which does sets its apart from its real flat counterpart.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

20 from Heavy Plate +2
24 from Shield +2
26 from Inquisitor Ring (+2)
28 from Tunnel Fighter subclass (+2)
29 from generic ring of protection +1
30 from cloak of protection +1
31 from Wardenblade +1
32 from Fighting Style Protection +1

Noice, that is functionally invincible. Even on Cataclysm nothing strikes above +15.
Most of that is Solasta's fault tbh. 5e is balanced for zero magical bonusses to AC and barely any bonusses from subclasses. The best thing a fighter tank can do in 5e is 21. Sure some DMs give out some boosts to AC, but I have never seen an AC above 25 on a player character outside of the completely busted Bladesinger subclass. There is a reason shields +x, rings +x and cloaks +x are listed as game breaking in the sane magic item prices lists for 5e.

my shadow tamer with proper favored enemy setup was the one outdamaging everyone in a long run - clearly nothing can beat paladin smites short burst.

Yeah Ranger is a weird class in this game. The Hunter is middle of the road, will perform adequately in most parties. The Sniper is bad, among the worst subclasses in the game. The Shadow Tamer is busted, among the best classes in the game, since he permanently gets his proficiency bonus to hit and damage against all threatening enemies. That is a permanent magical +2/+4 magic weapon bonus.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

20 from Heavy Plate +2
24 from Shield +2
26 from Inquisitor Ring (+2)
28 from Tunnel Fighter subclass (+2)
29 from generic ring of protection +1
30 from cloak of protection +1
31 from Wardenblade +1
32 from Fighting Style Protection +1

Noice, that is functionally invincible. Even on Cataclysm nothing strikes above +15.

actually without cloak and wardenblade. Instead I had motherland paladin aura and that +1 AC armor master feat.

So technical highest would be 34... unless you wear that chainclothshirt I wasnt able to craft and have 22dex(thanks to tome). Then you would have even 2 more, so 36. Would barkskin work too?

there is also limited time shield of faith spell, can temp raise it to 38 but must sustain so its annoying

If you want highest number of 2hf, with that cloth armor and bracers of defense, you would go down to 31

Most of that is Solasta's fault tbh. 5e is balanced for zero magical bonusses to AC and barely any bonusses from subclasses. The best thing a fighter tank can do in 5e is 21. Sure some DMs give out some boosts to AC, but I have never seen an AC above 25 on a player character outside of the completely busted Bladesinger subclass. There is a reason shields +x, rings +x and cloaks +x are listed as game breaking in the sane magic item prices lists for 5e.

i was quite surprised to learn that ac bonuses stack. 1 day obtained 2nd ring and since had free attunement slot open, tested it out

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So technical highest would be 34... unless you wear that chainclothshirt I wasnt able to craft and have 22dex(thanks to tome). Then you would have even 2 more, so 36. Would barkskin work too?
You can also get a +1 from your friendly War Cleric's aura.

Barkskin only sets your AC to 16 and does nothing if it's already better than that.

If you want to count temporary bonuses, there's also Haste for another +2.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
22dex(thanks to tome)

Tomes stack infinitely and are able to be farmed of random drops actually, I have seen screenshots of 50 AC characters through that. So you would have to calculate with 20 base as for chainshirt +5 dex.
Barkskin does not work. Haste gives +2 AC aswell tho if you also count Shield of Faith.

But one wants the cloak of blur in the cloak slot anyway, because it is hilariously OP. You can get AC so high that you need crits to hit you, and if the enemy rolls with disadvantage he has only 5% x 5% chance to hit you, 1 in 400.

Shrimp

Arbiter
How long is the game after you obtain the second gem? I remember it was where the early accession version ended when I played it a long time ago and I just caught up to that point in my current playthrough.

Game's still pretty rough around the edges in spite of it being officially released; in my most recent battle I had disadvantage instead of advantage when attacking prone enemies, Bane increased enemy rolls instead of decreasing them. I also got a tome that I'm apparently supposed to be able to read to gain attribute points, but the only option the item has is to drop it on the floor. I googled it and apparently it's a known bug that has been affecting other people as well.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
You can also get a +1 from your friendly War Cleric's aura.
completly forgot about this one! At first I rolled one then started over with paladin instead since I didnt need to heal up so often and could get same ac bonus...

Thonius

Arcane
5E is a good ruleset.

Gazilion of feats to support any type of build. Wanna do claw attacks? You can do it. Wanna be Commba manevour dude, you got it etc etc.

V_K

Arcane
How long is the game after you obtain the second gem? I remember it was where the early accession version ended when I played it a long time ago and I just caught up to that point in my current playthrough.
There are two more gems and the endgame. Plus side quests.

rojay

Scholar
Man, that's awesome you guys figured out a way to break the game and end up with AC over 30. I finished it with three characters at 22 or so and one at 20 and there were some challenging encounters but I finished it and had a good time doing so. Not a perfect game but looking forward to what else comes out of it.

But thank you guys for doing the hard work of playing the game that way so that we all know how high you can get your AC and make every encounter trivial. Your sacrifice is not in vain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom