Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Iconic & Unique Items in RPG History

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There's a lot of memorable items in Betrayal at Krondor. Maybe my favorite is the book Thilful's Bird Migrations. You buy it wondering what skill could possibly be boosted by it. It turns out that the writer goes off on so many unrelated tangents about various things that it actually boosts all of your skills.

Maxie

Consumable_Set.png

cons from guild wars

Ysaye

Arbiter
  • The Black Sword from Ultima 7 - remembering this was from well before the Lilawhatever from Baldur's Gate and was actually plot relevant.
  • Marumasa Blade (from the Wizardry series)

Funposter

Arcane
People have already mentioned The Boots of Blinding Speed and Scroll of Icarian Flight from Morrowind, but I'd also mentioned Kagrenac's Tools: Wraithguard, Keening and Sunder. All three give enormous constant-effect buffs and are required to complete the main quest, but with the caveat that the dagger (Keening) and the hammer (Sunder) cannot be equipped without the player wearing the gauntlet (Wraithguard). If they try to do so, the artifact will deal them a "mortal wound" which deals 50-125 damage per second, enough to kill even the most powerful players in the around five seconds. Several important characters also used them to siphon power from the heart of a God lying in the chamber of a volcano, thereby turning them into physical Gods. That's important too.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Girdle_gender2.png

The cursed Girdle of Femininity and Masculinity, a rare yet oft-discussed magical item, is wrought with a most powerful magic. Anyone unfortunate enough to secure it around their waist instantly finds their gender to be transformed. It is said that not fifty years past, a nameless court jester was beheaded for presenting the girdle as a gift to Duke Lobelahn's lover.
FTFY.

For pics from https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ (usually wikia.com or fandom.com websites), in the link you have to remove everything after the file extension (here .png).
So this will work: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/baldursgategame/images/c/c9/Girdle_gender2.png
This won't: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/b...est/scale-to-width-down/177?cb=20120111200127

Gunnar

Arbiter
Grimoire of Pestilential Thought
"This black-bound tome seems to radiate a slight rotting smell, and the covers are unpleasant to the touch – like uncured human flesh left out in the sun. Rusted buckles on the cover seal it against the elements."

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Not really unique but the glass sword in Ultima 7 is great for the sheer fact it will insta-kill anything provided you can land a hit. Managed to kill the balrog in one of the generators with it while having almost no health.

Falksi

Arcane
This thread's really making me realize how much BG1 & 2 + Morrowind have carried the RPG genre in terms of items over the years.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Consumable_Set.png

cons from guild wars

Funny was just thinking about how elite skills in Guild Wars function as items shld, and how the items are purely cosmetic.

Elite skills transform gameplay in unique/multi-layered/sometimes obscure ways, have to capture from hard to find, far-flung, challenging foes.

Original LotRO had some of these elements in item crafting and you see some of it in Diablo Uniques.

laclongquan

Arcane
Buffout. When you hear of it, it's fallout series. not Mentat because of the unfortunate linking to Dune series.

Pale Justice as someone mentioned earlier. The sword of humble paladins in DnD. Great desription. Better than Carsomyr thanks to that.

Brokk handgun of VTMB fame. It's so refreshing different compared to the usual berretta or glock for 9/10mm caliber.

Last edited:
I know I’ll get shit on for saying it, but I’ve been playing Deadfire for the first time and have been very pleasantly surprised by the itemization. I don’t know that I would say it’s on par with BG2, IWD, or Morrowind, but it’s definitely better than 95% of RPGs.
The item that has singly stood out the most to me so far is Sasha’s Singing Scimitar. It catapulted my Wildrhymer MC from slightly underperforming to far and away the most dangerous member of the party.

Dyspaire

Cipher
One item that isn't iconic that should be is Cinders, the sentient Hellhound pelt from the Greyhawk novels by Paul Kidd.

"Burn! BURN!"

"Cinders Good Dog."

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge: Rebecca's Diamond Ring - which can be used in Wizardry VII and Wizardry VIII. (If you play the trilogy with one party).

This thread's really making me realize how much BG1 & 2 + Morrowind have carried the RPG genre in terms of items over the years.

I'd include PS:T in there too, with things like the Modron Cube and others mentioned, but I'm also surprised by how much BG2 dominates this thread. Many games have powerful items, but not many of them are terribly unique or memorable. BG2 has The Deck of Many Things or the Wand of Wonder while most other games have something with elemental damage or improved critical modifier. Kingmaker had some very good items, but nothing terribly memorable. Greater Belt of Perfect Components or Rod of Flaming Vengeance come to mind, but they lack that "je ne sais quo" of the Crom Faeyr hammer or The Wave halberd. I have high expectations from Wrath of the Righteous though. Hopefully they'll give this thread plenty of material.

Raapys

Arcane
Staff of the Magi from BG2 is awesome. The invisibility is brokenly overpowered though.

tumblr_nzq507ZhoZ1r2oenzo9_500.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
ToEE

Frostbrand +3
Feat: Greatsword
Damage: 1d12 +1d6 cold damage
Critical Range: 19-20/ x2
Special: The wielder harmlessly absorbs the first 10 points of damage from any fire-based attack made against him.

Holy Ranseur +1
Feat: Ranseur
Damage: 2d4, +2d6 vs. evil creatures
Critical Range: 20/ x3

Moradin’s Soul Hammer +1
Feat: Great Hammer
Damage: 1d12 +2d6 vs. evil creatures and +2d6 vs. chaotic creatures
Critical Range: 20/ x3
Special: You can reduce the attack bonus of the weapon and add the equivalent number to your Armor Class.

Thorned Chains of Love +1
Feat: Unknown, even warriors do not start of proficient with it, implying that an Exotic Weapon Proficiency is needed.
Damage: 2d4 + 2d6 vs. evil creatures
Critical Range: 20/ x2

Wizardry 8

Giant's Sword (extended range)
Thieve's dagger
Bloodlust
Cane Corpus
Zatoichi Bo
Dread Spear

KotC

Crafted weapons, you can craft your own Excalibur or Stormbringer and enchant one further with the Chalice.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
You don't need all those things, comrade. Share it with the rest of your community.
Excuse me, I couldn't hear you as I was putting my Bag of Holding... into a Bag of Holding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom