Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

rifles are for lighter mechs, when you want to pack some punch but lack the space.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Use the Function keys where you order your lancemate to tell the mech to change to disrupt.

My understanding is, when you switch to disrupt you are reducing enemy ECM, while normal operation is ECM on an area around the carrying 'mech. You should get notifications under your minimap to tell you in which mode you're in.
I misread your message. They should work the same as if you using it as long as you are in range. I usually keep ECM with my lancemate unless I get ECMed by enemy.
If you mean what is the status effect, it is determined by the type of ECM which you can read in the mechbay in equipment.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Ah, mine was more a general question about "How they perform, are they worth it?" Don't worry though, I refurbished the Raven and I'm experimenting with it myself.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
New patch:
Cantina quests "Tracked vehicles" now have names.
Mech market is on top menu.

qeJrHGL.jpg

I'm using Quickdraw as a heavy flamer with 4 flamers, shutting assaults down and standing behind it while their buddies shoot it.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Yes, also the additional mission mod has been updated, I intend to try it today! Currently running with the Dragon you get from the DLC missions, the combination of AC20BF + MASK allow me to tackle those 400 tons missions while 70-80t under. Absolute beast able to stick that AC in the back torso of any Heavy\Assault and 90% of meds. Also some light.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Get another look at mechs, combat, and more in this latest trailer for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries ahead of its appearance at the PC Gaming Show on June 13, 2021.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Cold storage removes mech upgrades, didn't notice for awhile.
:rage:
Did they fix the issue of it outright damaging mechs

Because honestly the hassle of re-equipping shit and paying time and c-bills for Fahad to be a fucking retard was bad enough, seeing shit like entire limbs get ripped off when I shunted stuff into cold storage and knowing that I'd now have to wait EVEN LONGER and pay EVEN MORE to get them ready for action again was downright infuriating

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

Ah, sorry to hear that man, it must suck! I did notice it, fortunately for me. Ths game could definitely use an increase in the number of active 'mechs, the limit of 12 is what canonically a Leopard can carry around iirc but I wouldn't mind a bit of lore-unfriendliness here.

I finished the campaign and I'm simply flabbergasted by how bad some of the later missions are. "Black Harvest" in particular, the one in which after taking 50 steps in any direction you get insta-swarmed (and I really mean insta) by 50+ mixed Vtol/Igors/Crawlers. In the end I did it solo with a firestarter by ingoring everything and everyone and simply trying to cause as much damage as I could to the base. Which was... surprisingly easy... once I tested that strategy. The amount of enemy fire you receive adds nicely to the damage you must inflict and FS is small and fast enough to shield itself between building and run away from everything the game fields.

Still one of the shittiest game design I've ever seen, the kind of work you'd expect from a deranged modder.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected

Ah, sorry to hear that man, it must suck! I did notice it, fortunately for me. Ths game could definitely use an increase in the number of active 'mechs, the limit of 12 is what canonically a Leopard can carry around iirc but I wouldn't mind a bit of lore-unfriendliness here.

I finished the campaign and I'm simply flabbergasted by how bad some of the later missions are. "Black Harvest" in particular, the one in which after taking 50 steps in any direction you get insta-swarmed (and I really mean insta) by 50+ mixed Vtol/Igors/Crawlers. In the end I did it solo with a firestarter by ingoring everything and everyone and simply trying to cause as much damage as I could to the base. Which was... surprisingly easy... once I tested that strategy. The amount of enemy fire you receive adds nicely to the damage you must inflict and FS is small and fast enough to shield itself between building and run away from everything the game fields.

Still one of the shittiest game design I've ever seen, the kind of work you'd expect from a deranged modder.
PGI has no fucking idea how to design a campaign/mission/scenario. You're talking about a dev whose past bodies of work include such smash hits as the console version of Duke Nukem Forever, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza, some fishing game they got sued over, and Ekman/Bullock have excreted a number of shovelware FPS milsim garbage games before some absolute shitheel kicked them the MechWarrior license.

Cael

Arcane

A standard Leopard is 4 'mechs and 2 aerospace fighters. Leopard CV is 6 fighters.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Read why faction mission reputation gain drops to +2 later, apparently when you take missions below your merc rank.

Yes and it sucks a lot, since you're pretty much forced to either go back to previous zones, halting rep progress, or take work against faction you wish to befriend.

New reputation mod, yet to try.
https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/359
The game reduces the faction reputation gains when you complete low-difficulty contracts, but does not change the reputation loss. This punishes the player for taking contracts in lower-level zones.

This mod can resolve the issue in one of three ways, by preference:
  • Loss Clamp: Reputation losses are reduced alongside the gains. Low level contracts will consistently award negligible reputation changes with both factions.
  • No Squish: Reputation gains and losses are not modified by difficulty and use the default values (8-12).
  • By Contract Type: Reputation gains and losses are not modified by difficulty, but depend on the contract type. Raids make low reputation shifts and Beachheads have high ones. Factions hate being targeted by Assassination and Demolition contracts but don't begrudge Defense missions as much.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
AI mod updated, I briefly tried it and it looks like it's noticeably different. Lancemates don't wander off when ordered to form up, enemy behaviour is more consistent with the range of what weapon they have equipped. Be warned that, in order to make JJ equipped 'mechs more slipppery, it also changes gravity behaviour. The only thing I noticed is it's far easier to land without damaging oneself. My legs are ok.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/269?tab=description

someone else

Arcane
Patron
HPtIvz4.png

Bought a new hero mech with slots for 3 heavy rifles.
Each upgraded Heavy Rifle does 28 damage, blows away some side torsos and some mechs in 1 salvo. hot though.

CW3unaQ.jpeg

Also bought a Hero Zeus with MASC. not as fast as the Dragon but I get more armor.
This may be one of my fav mechs, speed, power and versatility, too bad no heavy ballistic slot for AC20 or Gauss.
Only 1 other assault mech has MASC and it is the poorly armed Banshee.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
blows away some side torsos in 1 salvo

With an average of 3 full salvoes per mission, I suppose!
Nah, I brought 6.5 tons of rifle ammo, leaving only 3 double heatsinks and occasionally shutting down after blowing away a mech. I even strip the small energy slot for 0.5ton of ammo.
I rely on 2 medium lasers and my lancemates to shoot small threats to conserve ammo.
I may even get a heat upgrade just for this mech.

Cael

Arcane
If you guys are interested, assuming the cunts actually followed tabletop rules, the optimal payload for 'mech weights vs speed are (assuming max armour and jump jets):

No XL engine:
5/8/5 - 55 tons
4/6/4 - 75 tons
3/5/3 - 100 tons

With XL Engine:
7/11/7 - 50 tons
6/9/6 - 55 tons
5/8/5 - 70 tons (75 tons is off only by about 0.5 tons or 1 ton, so it is a close alternative)
4/8/4 - 85 tons
3/5/3 - 100 tons (duh!, since you can't go higher)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Now you give this game too much credit... In vanilla you can't swap engines or armor, you find "hero" 'mechs with pre-installed FF armour, engine heatsink and/or XL engine. Do note that, in case of XL Engine and FF armour, it only means the chassis gets free tonnage. Iirc XL engine needs crit slots in one of the side torsoes, right? No such thing here, just free tons.

On a sidenote, I tried installing the Scary Tanks mod and my Assassin was de-legged by an Alacorn during the introductory cutscene. Noice!

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Now you give this game too much credit... In vanilla you can't swap engines or armor, you find "hero" 'mechs with pre-installed FF armour, engine heatsink and/or XL engine. Do note that, in case of XL Engine and FF armour, it only means the chassis gets free tonnage. Iirc XL engine needs crit slots in one of the side torsoes, right? No such thing here, just free tons.

On a sidenote, I tried installing the Scary Tanks mod and my Assassin was de-legged by an Alacorn during the introductory cutscene. Noice!
The Reloaded mod drastically improves this imo by forcing you to work around crits more than Vanilla and imposing some sort of penalty for a ST loss with XL (reduced speed, cooling and 2 lost STs is a dead mech). It also lets you do engine and component upgrade swaps.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
OMDJbgz.jpg

Only reason I bought this mech is to run around like a giant samurai.
This is also one of the rare occasions where you get to fight near water which cools you down quick.

uPUcRkG.png

edit: LOL after 1 mission time to trade it for a 5-tier Heavy Rifle.
191px-8c4dw3limvd441ckh2bn69uqdp5agaz.png
byebye

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom