Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Gearmos

Educated
Elden Ring Trailer Breakdown - With Help From Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki

And here is a thread with details about the interview with Miyazaki:

Egosphere

Arcane
Imo biggest disappointment is the overall art direction. Playing it very safe. A lot of the enemies, weapons and armour sets could pass for ds3 material, or re-imagined ds2. Much of the trailer feels like re-treading old ground.
If indie stuff like Blashpemous can carve out a strong, distinct art style to stand apart from the crowd, I'm not sure why a project of such ambition and resources can't.

Shrimp

Arbiter
And in non-Twitter format:

Interview with FROM Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki:
- six major areas that function as distinct dungeons, ruled by demigod characters (you don't have to follow an order)
- hub confirmed
- catacombs, castles, fortresses, mini dungeons etc.

From the Famitsu interview with Miyazaki
- confident that Elden Ring will arrive on its release date
- character creator
- multiple endings
- much higher degree of freedom than before
- optional bosses
- Battle arts from DS3 return but are not fixed to a weapon (~100 techniques)
- Spirits can be collected and equipped apparently (summons)
- different types of spirits (use them for assaults, as decoy, for defense etc)
- Spirits can be improved apparently
- There are also rather useless spirits with other traits
- multiplayer support during exploration on the open fields (but you are not able to ride your horses in multiplayer apparently)
- ER is more "manageable" due to the many different options the player has but there are still many tough enemies
- fall damage is low to keep explorers motivated
- there is a world map
- the actual dungeons do not have a map
- crafting system with materials
- Miyazaki guesses playtime is maybe at 30 hours "without too many side trips"
- asynchrous multiplayer elements return; you can apparently set up groups (with friends for example) and give their messages/dead bodies etc. higher priority (keyword system, no limit on group size)

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Imo biggest disappointment is the overall art direction. Playing it very safe. A lot of the enemies, weapons and armour sets could pass for ds3 material, or re-imagined ds2. Much of the trailer feels like re-treading old ground.
If indie stuff like Blashpemous can carve out a strong, distinct art style to stand apart from the crowd, I'm not sure why a project of such ambition and resources can't.
Blasphemous looks like a Dark Souls game tho, haha

Machocruz

Arcane
Fuck keeping fall damage low. Better to do this through spells, scrolls, enchants, equipment, etc. Ever since Oblivion we've had to put up with fantasy games/RPGs doing shit in the most bland basic way possible

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
only 30 hours? dang, i thought this would be a behemoth of a game u could spend 100 hours each playthrough and still see new stuff etc.. Kinda short, really.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
only 30 hours? dang, i thought this would be a behemoth of a game u could spend 100 hours each playthrough and still see new stuff etc.. Kinda short, really.

That's longer than it took for me to do a first playthrough of some of the souls games (think I clocked 20 to finish DS2 main game before reaching into DLC content). Sounds about the right length. Dunno why people keep expecting Ubishit/Witcher 3 collectathon from From Software. I don't want a game in which I need 100 hours just to see the main content anyway.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I'm personally not a fan of the game apparently having crafting and crafting materials. More often than not I feel like RPGs with crafting don't offer enough rewards/items/unlocks to warrant the game having 5000 loot containers with 5000 different materials you need to keep track of.
Apparently Sekiro had crafting, but I skipped that game since at the time it was released I was still burned out from FROM games after finishing Dark Souls 3. How's the crafting in Sekiro? I figure that Elden Ring's crafting system likely will be somewhat similar to that of Sekiro since it's their most recently released game.

Cat Dude

Savant
What apparent is they are still terrible at animating facial expression. Also they always go for similar art style that even Sekiro seems like a spider with long thin arms.

fork

And in non-Twitter format:

- ER is more "manageable" due to the many different options the player has but there are still many tough enemies
- fall damage is low to keep explorers motivated
- there is a world map
- crafting system with materials
- Miyazaki guesses playtime is maybe at 30 hours "without too many side trips"

:decline:

Also, art style is disappointing, since it basically looks like DS 3.
And that horse jumppad in the trailer, wtf?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Also, art style is disappointing, since it basically looks like DS 3.

I beg to differ, the color palette actually has more than brown shit and snownigger white for once.
To be fair it's not only about the colours, but also about the designs in general. I can't quite describe how but since the PS4 games FROM has had a very distinctive way of designing NPC and enemy models. If you showed me these pictures from the Elden Ring trailer and told me they were from Dark Souls 3 I'd definitely believe it.
YDiSGmV.png

DSXuUdD.png

Machocruz

Arcane
for once.
I can't quite describe how but since the PS4 games FROM has had a very distinctive way of designing NPC and enemy models
Easy. Uncannily gangly limbs, narrow shoulders (for people), tiny heads, often look emaciated or dessicated. Really quite ugly imo, and weird. Not in a good way.

I thought it was just for Bloodborne, to give it it's own idiosyncratic look. Then they brought it back for DS3 and I was like fuck me this is Muhzaki's signature style now, isn't it?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Half the point of these mole-poppers is graphics, right?

Then what the hell are they thinking giving it PS4 graphics. The chunky hair, low resolution textures everywhere... and I play games on hardware that is 7 to 10 years old!

QgUIv7l.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

That's longer than it took for me to do a first playthrough of some of the souls games (think I clocked 20 to finish DS2 main game before reaching into DLC content). Sounds about the right length. Dunno why people keep expecting Ubishit/Witcher 3 collectathon from From Software. I don't want a game in which I need 100 hours just to see the main content anyway.

And of course we should not forget that Souls games have a ton of replayability thanks to MP, weapon arts, and so on. 30 hours is absolutely fine.

Jinn

Arcane
And of course we should not forget that Souls games have a ton of replayability thanks to MP, weapon arts, and so on. 30 hours is absolutely fine.

If past games are any indication, this'll easily be a 45-55 hour first playthrough for me. Exploring every nook and cranny, taking time to observe the environment closely, experimenting with NPC interactions. Who knows how sidequests will work in this and how many there will be too. 30 hours of just trudging straight from one boss to another is how you play the game if you have little interest in anything else going on in it, are referencing a guide, or plan to explore more in subsequent playthroughs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom