Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game killed the shooter genre?

Ravielsk

Magister
The decline started when Halo 1 released and became a success. Because Halo at that moment definitely proved that to succeed you dont need to make an exceptional game just have a exceptional marketing campaign. Since that moment shooters have been on the decline as they removed more substance and replaced it with bigger marketing campaigns. Everything after that was just more or less the symptom of this realization, even COD.

You see Halo even at its best was never more than a mediocre shooter with some good ideas and OK writing. Really its the definition of a minor middle market success, you know one of those games that would otherwise show up in "top 10 Obscure games for X" videos on Youtube. But Microsoft managed to hype it up to a point where not only it was for many their first shooter ever but also make it the basis of their Xbox brand. The industry did not immediately catch on but slowly over time everyone started aping Microsoft's approach. Make a at best mediocre game and then market it to rubes who never played a shooter. I'll link here a translation of a article by Dan Vavra talking about how this was handled in the case of Halo 3 just so you get a bit of a feel for how it went down.
Articles:

jxSBexl.jpg

Thing is that by default such a strategy can work only for a limited quantity of games. As much as publishers deny it there is a limit to the number of rubes who have never played "X game but would want to". So during the 7th gen when everyone tried to ride this "marketing uber alles" horse, outside of a few successes(COD, Killzone, Army of Two) most crashed and burned so hard that they usually took the studio with them. The surviving ones however took the exact wrong lesson from all this and concluded that the problem was not making shit games with overblown budgets but that anything that does not appeal to the lowest of the low common denominators is automatically going to fail. Thus the decline of the genre started as since then every shooter has to somehow account for the absolutely retarded, so no complicated mechanics like aiming, no smart AI, definitely no big levels you could get lost in, no exotic settings or characters and absolutely no stories that go beyond "bad man bad".

And this has been only intensifying over the years and while it has somewhat slowed down in the recent years its only slow down not a reversal.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The decline started when Halo 1 released and became a success.

Tend to agree here overall. I believe there were several nails in the coffin though. Despite being a cult classic in itself, Half Life 1 moved shooters in the story direction (for better or worse). Far Cry moved them in the open world direction. Halo commercialized and consolized them. Interesting topic in any case.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Half Life killed shooters with its scripted, slower paced, story based campaign.
Quake 3/Counter Strike killed shooters with their emphasis on multiplayer over singleplayer.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare killed shooters with their casualization and controller designed systems and pace.
Fortnite killed shooters because I don't like it and its popular.

tl;dr shooters are very much alive actually, they just change and chase trends like every vibrant and living genre does

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
painkiller is super mediocre

It was a good spiritual successor to Serious Sam imo. It also featured some innovative weapons and fun physics.

Played Painkiller when it first came out. I remember the witches flying around on their broomsticks the most in this game. I don't remember if they were actual threats... probably just scenery... but that's what I remember most; oh, and that it was an enjoyable FPS though not enough to make me want to play the expansion.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
painkiller is super mediocre

It was a good spiritual successor to Serious Sam imo. It also featured some innovative weapons and fun physics.

I haven't played either in a long time, but quoting from my flawed memory, I think Painkiller was a game in which you run forward and Serious Sam was a game in which you run backwards. Seems pretty basic as a difference, but I remember them feeling very different.
And Serious Sam is a genre of its own on higher difficulty, you just NEED to dodge projectiles, and herd, and dance, and its all arena, corridor, arena, corridor, arena, corridor, with specific weapons clearly meant for specific enemies, etc. It plays differently from other fast shooters.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
The decline began with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

It was CoD 2, CoD 4 was just the exactly same formula as CoD 2, but in a modern setting.
But was Call of Duty 2 as succesful as 4? That was my point. When the developer and publisher start to please the casuals they start making games for consumers instead of gamers.
4 made it the king of normie games but 2 was still successful. What I find weird is what a huge improvement BO2 was, despite it coming out at the height of cod's popularity and therefore not having to improve at all to succeed.

J1M

Arcane
The shooter was killed by the RPG (elements).

It was a Pyrrhic victory.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
They were slaughtered by those who had begotten them, the very Id team, with their cursed Doom 3. Praised for its graphics. Good shooting. Atmospheric but no longer tactic. Corridors after corridors of audiologs, useless story elements to entertain you as your endlessly push forward in those corridors adorned with pipes and the occasional blood of modest gore partying.

The flow went to boredom quickly as the flashing lights of one another gunfight. But it was not a bad game. It was quite enjoyable, and the technical achievement of its time. So impressive that following shooters would now first thing try to look good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Doom 3 was inspired by shit like Half Life and System Shock 2 but in it's turn it had no inspiration on anything else, so no, you are wrong.

Unwanted

Rewrite

Latest Doxxer Account
Dumbfuck
Half Life - without a fucking doubt. Undeniable, absolute harbinger of decline. Larpers entered the hobby then.
Half life is the green scumbag.
KDj4IoX.jpeg

COD2 being consolitis exclusive trash is the final death.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This image was originally created for an ironic post about women coming to Magic the Gathering events without cards. Then the MTG part dropped, the irony dropped, the women part was diluted by adding other figures, and basically the comic had the exact same fate that it depicts, being used by normies to complain that shooters aren't copies of Doom now.

Curratum

Doom 2016 was so boring i couldn't even finish it. Eternal was actually fun, very rare for a AAA product these days.

That's interesting. I finished 2016 and thought it was ok, but looking at Eternal gameplay, I just couldn't find the enthusiasm to buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom