Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
It would be cool if the game's main quest revolved around first contact, even cooler if aliens didn't even exist in the game. I'm so sick of generic fantasy sci-fi, where everyone's uncle is an exotic yet still humanoid, still human-sized, and even still sexually-attractive-to-humans alien.
you're free to go play the dozens of space games where literally nothing happens and all you do is visit empty rocks
might want to give elite dangerous a go, those rocks aren't going to look at themselves!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What if you end up finding Tamriel?

16376834.jpg

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
It would be cool if the game's main quest revolved around first contact, even cooler if aliens didn't even exist in the game. I'm so sick of generic fantasy sci-fi, where everyone's uncle is an exotic yet still humanoid, still human-sized, and even still sexually-attractive-to-humans alien.
you're free to go play the dozens of space games where literally nothing happens and all you do is visit empty rocks
might want to give elite dangerous a go, those rocks aren't going to look at themselves!

Ever heard of the Expanse? The inner solar system can be a very interesting place if done right

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The overarching problem with any Bethesda product is that they can't write worth a damn. This is a problem because their games are therefore full of terrible writing—cardboard characters, one-dimensional factions lacking compelling motivations, conflicts that exist only to occupy the player's time, and worlds lacking internal logic or believability.

An excellent example of this are the "super mutants" portrayed in Fallout 3. Bethesda was incapable of portraying super mutants with meaningful origins, motivations, and goals—stemming from the vats, the Master and his own goals, the psychoses of their mutations, and their perceived place in the game world. They ceased to be individuals. They became one-dimensional sci-fi orcs, their psychoses relegated to mere beastly aggression, existing for no reason other than to be targets for the player to shoot at—because there must be enemies to shoot at. That's part of an RPG, after all.

As far as I can tell, nothing about Bethesda's creatively bankrupt design philosophy has changed. Everything is generic, one-dimensional, and by-the-numbers. Named characters are absurdly QUIRKY! because Bethesda tries hard to endow them with personality, yet they remain cardboard cut-outs because they are not part of a living world.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ladder loading screens and all the spaceships are hats equipped to an NPC's head courtsey of Bethesda with the brand new Creation Engine 2 technology.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're too busy arguing with the other camp of boneheads about which weak hardware platform is "better".

Their platforms are not weak currently. Try buying a gaming computer with 8 zen 2 cores, 16gb of fast ram, 1 terrabyte ssd and 11 terraflops of rdna2 gpu for 400 euros.
Yes, because the fucktards at Microsoft and Sony sell the hardware at a loss.
In Microsoft's case, in an attempt to literally corner the gaming market.
If Sony goes under, which is looking likely, Microsoft will run amok and literally rape and ruin the games market, fucking the PC platform over pretty much completely for AAA level and as deep as they can go.

And they want all games to be on their shitty subscription model. Easier to control and therefore squeeze games for every cent they can.
Gamepass is only a good value now because they are using it to wreck Sony and get people used to the idea that you will own nothing and be happy.

We already don't own anything. Physical game media is pretty much dead on PC.
the idea that you "own" a game because you have a ""physical copy"" is fucking retarded
a DVD is as much a physical copy as the game sitting on a hard drive

what's next, we pretend most CD/DVD releases didn't have secuROM?

This debate is irrelevant. You can pirate anything you want, the only reason not to pirate is morality. And if you bought something and feel you own it, the morality argument goes out the window. So it doesn't matter if you have a physical copy, what matters is that you are morally justified to pirate it.
When I wanted to play Warcraft III again, I didn't install from my CD, and then apply 20+ patches that I have backed up. I pirated it. Using CDs is inconvenient and dumb.

My moral justification for piracy is that DRM is pure evil and if one day the DRM causes an issue with running the game, legit customers are fucked. Really bad DRM can even permanently kill a game before there's a chance of preserving it: see Darkspore, which was server-bound and online-only, and once EA decided to shut down the servers, the game was gone. You can't play it anymore even if you bought it at some point. Pirates were either not interested enough or not skilled enough to fully crack it (or it required something like server emulation), so now it's just fucking gone.

It may not be a particularly great game, but still. DRM is evil and has the potential of destroying the games it's intended to "protect".

This is why I fully and wholeheartedly condone piracy. If you take the moral stance, you should support the efforts of crackers and condemn companies like Denuvo who develop destructive systems that interfere with the long-term preservation of games.

Caim

Arcane
My moral justification for piracy is that DRM is pure evil and if one day the DRM causes an issue with running the game, legit customers are fucked. Really bad DRM can even permanently kill a game before there's a chance of preserving it: see Darkspore, which was server-bound and online-only, and once EA decided to shut down the servers, the game was gone. You can't play it anymore even if you bought it at some point. Pirates were either not interested enough or not skilled enough to fully crack it (or it required something like server emulation), so now it's just fucking gone.
Yes, but also no.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, but also no.

My point still stands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom