Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds 2

Wunderbar

Arcane
Megan Starks and Nitai Poddar are at least writing for the game and guess what. Badler is the Game Director

Minimalist hope rising. Dollarhyde and Patel are also on other projects. (though I don't know for how long Dollarhyde will be kept away).
reminder: TOW1 was directed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Megan Starks and Nitai Poddar are at least writing for the game and guess what. Badler is the Game Director

Minimalist hope rising. Dollarhyde and Patel are also on other projects. (though I don't know for how long Dollarhyde will be kept away).
reminder: TOW1 was directed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski.
that might the the exact reason why he has some hope . . .

lol

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Did the first game really sell that well or is it fabulously optimistically including all the mindless pity-downloads from the gamepass? Whatever, I guess it's all according to plan anyway. Looking at MS approach to Age of Empires IV they seem quite content to make their games sort of decent budget/sort of low effort gamepass fodder.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did the first game really sell that well or is it fabulously optimistically including all the mindless pity-downloads from the gamepass? Whatever, I guess it's all according to plan anyway. Looking at MS approach to Age of Empires IV they seem quite content to make their games sort of decent budget/sort of low effort gamepass fodder.
2.5 million copies as of February last year, 3+ million copies as of May this year.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2.5 million copies as of February last year, 3+ million copies as of May this year.
the problem is it rode the coattails of new vegas in a time (still is) where NV like open world RPG is rare and in demand. people heard the original creator of fallout with the developers of new vegas on top of fallout 76 fiasco.

if it wasn't for gamepass, I doubt TOW 2 will sell even half of the original's number but they have Microsoft and gamepass now so I suppose they're secure.

Codex Year of the Donut
that figure includes the amount Epic paid for exclusivity
...which they ended up not even getting lol, wonder how microsoft worked that out

Shrimp

Arbiter
rusty_shackleford it's in the publisher's earnings report, make of that whatever you will.
https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/305e4c41-cdc7-40f7-94e1-0008d372db3f

Y4HRlqx.png

Codex Year of the Donut
rusty_shackleford it's in the publisher's earnings report, make of that whatever you will.
https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/305e4c41-cdc7-40f7-94e1-0008d372db3f

Y4HRlqx.png
It does not say sold:
This is a term of art. It's including the amount Epic paid for excloosivity.

Reader

Scholar
Wasn't the game's concept already decided when they joined Obsidian?
You mean when Feargus suddenly emerged with pathetic statement that he had such game in mind long ago?
Whatever
After TOW release i started to think that Boyarsky/Cain real position similar to Ken Rolston's in Oblivion.

Quillon

Arcane

Terra

Cipher
Christ, after the first game, I won't be bothering, modern day Obsidian games just embody boredom and sheer mundanity. Looking forward to a new lore-justified "female" hair montage pic though, about the funniest thing to come out of the game no doubt.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasn't the game's concept already decided when they joined Obsidian?
You mean when Feargus suddenly emerged with pathetic statement that he had such game in mind long ago?

Maybe? I do not remember, though i think it was Leonard or Cain who mentioned that, not Feargus. It is somewhere in the original TOW thread, though i'm not that interested to go dig through that monstrosity :-P.

After TOW release i started to think that Boyarsky/Cain real position similar to Ken Rolston's in Oblivion.

What do you mean?

Lol, Outer Turds 2, now with even more banal humor and pointless gameplay. It's fitting that the man who thought Biomutant would be GOAT started this thread.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Wasn't the game's concept already decided when they joined Obsidian? I vaguely remember them saying something like this in an interview at some point.

Yes and no, IIRC it was *make space game with some firefly thrown in*. Some very, very basic keywords. The whole capitalism thing+ is all Tim+Boyarsky.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Why couldn't they just make a spiritual successor to Fallout?

I hate to see my heroes become degenerate halfwits.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is TOW even modable? Fallout 3-4 seems to have a certain amount of community input to change up the game. TOW, I have no fucking idea if it is possible. Even if it was, who would bother?
bxaw2wp.jpg

No joke you slutty titty bitch waifu.

This?
Top 10
The Best?
How to... maybe?

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If nothing else, it should be on game pass so it won't cost anything to see if it's better than the first one.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The target audience loves it
It's gonna be a heckin smash hit gosh darn it!

:negative:
The first game has apparently sold 3 million copies as of May 2021 (source) so I wouldn't be surprised if they at the bare minimum will make their investment back.
I guess it comes down to how much they're willing to advertise the game. Both Deadfire and Tyranny weren't considered to be successful releases, and when I look at other game forums I've seen a lot of people say they never even knew those games had released in the first place but otherwise would've been interested in them.
With that being said, if the trailer they showed at E3 was meant to convince me that this was going to be a game I'd want to purchase it had the exact opposite effect, but judging by the reactions in the attached image it seems like plenty of other people like it.

That's because those are Kikestarters and not funded by big publishers. The money goes to making the actual game and not marketing.
The sad truth is that marketing works. I always refused to believe it because as a well-adjusted I'm immune to it. The fact is though most people are lazy fucks who have only slightly more self-awareness than a salamander or a banana leaf and don't know what they want. They will wait to be told what they want.

prengle

Savant
i thought tim cain was a sub, why is he hellbent on assfucking his own legacy by doubling down on this rick and morty new vegas clone that absolutely no one asked for

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i thought tim cain was a sub, why is he hellbent on assfucking his own legacy by doubling down on this rick and morty new vegas clone that absolutely no one asked for
If Brandon's directing this, then Tim's gone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom