Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
No ads, no sponsors, no active youtube? I'm pretty sure that he's making like nothing.
Does anyone know where he lives? If it's a place with a low cost of living, then at least $1,000 a month from Patreon (and whatever he makes from side jobs) is livable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He has mentioned that he has a job as a professor. Before that he was some kind of freelancer who traveled a lot, but a university offered him a teaching job which pays well and is pretty secure so he took it.

He never considered his blog to be a job, he was initially reluctant to open a Patreon until some of his readers finally convinced him to.

His blog is maintained out of pure autism and literal addiction to playing CRPGs. He feels that if he turns it into a blog where he explores the history of the genre and documents obscure games, he can justify his addiction as something productive.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
He has mentioned that he has a job as a professor.
There you go. And, if he's tenured, he's got the comfy salary, permanent job security, and enough time for him to dedicate to the blog.

He only got that job two years ago or so.
Before that, he was a freelancer whose jobs required him to travel a lot. He mentioned that he often played RPGs on his laptop in the plane.

He has been running this blog for far longer than he's had the comfy secure job.

He's just more turboautistic than the entire Codex combined. That's all there is to it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Not only is he more turboautistic than the entire Codex combined, he has played and likes more RPGs than the entire Codex combined lol.

Doesn't excuse his dislike of M&M4/5 though (he rated all the M&M games highly, tho).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
He says some silly things (he has improved big time from how he used to be), but he has decent taste in CRPG's so far, and he is the only game in town if you want to see someone play every released PC RPG.
I can't say he's played out the jrpgs though. A lot of games do get translations eventually.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
He says some silly things (he has improved big time from how he used to be), but he has decent taste in CRPG's so far, and he is the only game in town if you want to see someone play every released PC RPG.
I can't say he's played out the jrpgs though. A lot of games do get translations eventually.

I don't think he wants to play all the jrpgs, and I fully understand him.

Mustawd

He shares the majority of codex’s taste when it comes to anime. AKA he doesn’t like it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He has mentioned that he has a job as a professor.
There you go. And, if he's tenured, he's got the comfy salary, permanent job security, and enough time for him to dedicate to the blog.

He only got that job two years ago or so.
Before that, he was a freelancer whose jobs required him to travel a lot. He mentioned that he often played RPGs on his laptop in the plane.

He has been running this blog for far longer than he's had the comfy secure job.

He's just more turboautistic than the entire Codex combined. That's all there is to it.

I think we can take him.

DaveO

Erudite
I am fairly convimced that "he" is really Scorpia juist well disguised. There is no way in hell a man is that disorganizaed or not planning or not tactical unless they have a serious mental deficiency.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

He shares the majority of codex’s taste when it comes to anime. AKA he doesn’t like it.
So no...
fcdca91770ac7a208b9e2230fe2dd6a8_original.png

At least the waifus don't look like sjw dike-lords.

Last edited:

AndyS

Augur
I really cannot stand this guy. I said it before and I'll say it again he sucks the fun out of everything and I think he does it on purpose.

I've noticed that a lot of these "I play everything" projects have this quality. Maybe it's the enormity of the endeavor crashing down on them, or they're overcompensating because they don't want to come off as nostalgic "the old stuff was so much better" types even though in many cases it really was better.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Eh, it's more too much of the same thing for years, everybody would get tired of the stuff. There's a reason most sane players haven't played everything, lots of games (as with lots of everything) aren't good, most stuff is just mediocre, if you force yourself through it, it will kill your enthusiasm

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'll say it again: he's just super fucking autistic. He has incredibly specific pet peeves and incredibly specific tastes. He switches off the music during gameplay, even if the soundtrack is amazing, just because he can't understand the appeal of having music on while playing a game. Your party isn't carrying a radio around so where's the music coming from?? It breaks his immersion. He's very forgiving of some types of flaws, while others will immediately bother him. He highly values the progression loop of RPGs where you do stuff and level up, to the point that he doesn't mind intensive grinding, but will complain when a game has too few levelups even if the character system is amazing (like Defender of Boston where you have extensive character creation with a complex system, but don't level up). He can play through the same basic gameplay loop of going from peasant to epic warrior a dozen times without getting bored.

He has grade A autism, that's all it is. You can't go through such a project without having grade A autism.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, it's more too much of the same thing for years, everybody would get tired of the stuff. There's a reason most sane players haven't played everything, lots of games (as with lots of everything) aren't good, most stuff is just mediocre, if you force yourself through it, it will kill your enthusiasm

I fully believe this, and I believe this is the reason he gave Final Fantasy 1 such a disproportionally high rating.
He put it as his highest game of the year, and in like the top 50 rpgs of all time lol. Final Fantasy 1 is a mediocre entry in the series, pretty good for the time it came out (predates DQ III for example which is a real milestone for the genre), but overall only middle of the road. It deserved nowhere near as much praise as he gave it.
But turns out if you only play one genre for years, even a change of subgenre can be a major breath of fresh air.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
He switches off the music during gameplay, even if the soundtrack is amazing, just because he can't understand the appeal of having music on while playing a game. Your party isn't carrying a radio around so where's the music coming from?? It breaks his immersion.

:what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom