Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Gabel, nothing you are saying seems to be based on anything. The combat centric worries seem especially weird, and I have no idea why you'd think they'd just randomly change the whole style of gameplay.

The only not completely out of left field thing that I could see happening with a Dragon's Dogma 2 that some people might not like is designs for things like monsters and armor not being as traditional as they were in the original. Like I could see that since the original Dragon's Dogma was made more with the Western audience in mind, it was targeting the West more, but it ended up (at least on release, not I'm sure if things have changed) selling better in Japan. You look at the Japanese only Online game, and it's got more Japanese kinds of designs; even things like big wizard hats and monsters like the Gorecyclops didn't make it into this game until Dark Arisen. But then those were directed by Kento Kinoshita, and Itsuno did the original base game...so that kind of thing could do either way. Personally I could do with some weird fucking monsters in a new DD, and was a little surprised some monsters weren't more grotesque looking the most allusions saw to Berserk as the game went on. Although the game already has some pretty fucking weird looking wolves.

I also wouldn't worry about them doing or not doing something just because a Monster Hunter game made by a totally different teams in Capcom did something.

I also can't really imagine a new Dragon's Dogma having fewer classes with less skills and core things about the class systems just going away. If anything, based on Itsuno's past games, I'd expect more stuff and more freedom to customize if it's going one direction or the other.

I'd be surprised if armor layering didn't come back given how much work they seemed to do to allow you to do that in this game. There's a little part in the GDC video on the game where they talk about this stuff, it was a big core feature they wanted. I'm actually a little surprised more MT games never used it. Your stats are also directed tied into how big or small, and slim or fat you make your character, so I can't see that going.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One reason why skills will be dumbed down:

Skills like Bolide, Seism and Maelstrom for example are balanced by the long casting times. I'm pretty sure those casting times wouldn't fly with a focus group nowadays. But since these casting times are needed in order to at least somewhat balance these mighty spells, and since implementing spells like these would also eat quite some budget, there's no way spells like those will remain im the game.

I'm about to start rambling again, so I'll stop here.
Just know that I know I'm right. :3
Everything you said is int DDO, so no reason why it shouldn't be in 2. Plus it give reason to reuse animation and some assets

Machocruz

Arcane
DD was produced during a generation of peak decline. The era of the most lobotomized game design. Need we go over the list of NSF casualties? So I'm not too worried aside from Capcoms social justice agenda. The hypocrites jacking their twig dicks to G-cup milking videos while denying players the pleasure of endowing their character with massive mammaries.

Wunderbar

Arcane
focus group nowadays
what the fuck do you think dragons dogma was released in 1937 in the era of crusty true rpg players? lmfao its a beat'em up

Focus group 2012 vs focus group 2022, which is better and why? Discuss.

4Coqmne.jpeg

this is from 2007

Shrimp

Arbiter
I can't believe I stayed up for this. What the fuck, what a waste of time

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
What an embarrassing showcase, probably the worst one yet. Literally not a single new game, and no I'm not counting some shitty MH spinoff.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is not looking good.

Not looking good at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom