Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Night - cinematic 3D pixel art cyberpunk adventure

Dexter

Arcane
Did they change everything about it? That doesn't look like the same game. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what I'm even looking at.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know if they've changed everything about it, but Tim has said something to the effect that they're trying to push the graphics as far as they can.

Here's a little bit of info about the dialogue system in the game:

I know it raises a lot of questions - we've been through here when making this specific choice.

Dialogues in The Last Night are not back & forth like in most games, with characters taking turns. It's more like Charlie often has thoughts while others are talking, and can intervene or outright interrupt someone. Usually, interlocutors keep talking while Charlie is thinking, giving the player enough time to reply.

Charlie is not just a puppet for the player.

Just a few examples: sometimes, Charlie will abstain if the player doesn't do anything, other times, he prioritises one of the options by default, or changes his mind despite starting to say something, like an impulse.

Sometimes also, Charlie will resist saying something difficult (fear, pain, shyness, shame, guilt, danger, etc), so you'll have to really hold the corresponding button to force him to say it. The UI makes this clear.

I'll stop here spoiling our unique features before the team kills me

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know if they've changed everything about it, but Tim has said something to the effect that they're trying to push the graphics as far as they can.

Pushing the graphics as far as they can is changing everything about the game. I was interested in a glowing neon pixelated cyberpunk adventure. What I see here is three seconds of something that might be an adventure, but is definitely not glowing, neon, pixelated, or cyberpunk.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That "three seconds of something" is simply a tiny (and pretty unclear) demo showing how they've developed their graphical style.

Still, I could be wrong. Maybe it's not a glowing, neon, pixelated, cyberpunk adventure anymore... We'll have to wait and see. :)

Last edited:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Maybe it's not a glowing, neon, pixelated, cyberpunk adventure anymore... We'll have to wait and see. :)
According to Soret the game has not moved away from the pixel art style.

I edited my previous post with Soret's Twitter message stating the fact.

From his discord it says the artstyle moved away from the traditional japanese mood with neons trope:

This is why the sushi shops, giant Japanese faces on screens & red lanterns everywhere like in CP2077 feel like such an obsolete vision of the future. I'm updating the recipe. In The Last Night, instead you'll feel the permeating presence of India, China, Nigeria, Brazil, in the culture, ads, architecture, people, etc... This is one of the big change in art direction we've been operating since 2017.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Sigh... what a fucking retard cuck.

FN1U5d3.png

Siel

Arcane
Patron
To protect multiculturalism, limits need to be put in place. This shield is the republic. It's liberalism. It's secularism. It's what protects all of us.

This worked in the 90's France because 1. Republic notion was stronger back then , 2. France has always been good at integration compared to the US or UK and their
communitarianism approach
But Soret is retarded if he thinks this is still viable in 2021 where 90% of Youth don't even know what Republic is and where young muslims are much more bigoted than their parents.

Still kudos to him for pointing the Mila situation happening currently in France and how fucking disgusting the Left have been defending islamists literally death threatening her. And the absolute silence of feminists regarding this situation which proves modern feminism is a huge fucking joke.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
IS that the dev? Wasn't his product nearly killed because he was almost canceled some time ago? Why is he still part of the same cult?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sigh... what a fucking retard cuck.

FN1U5d3.png

Particularly relevant: Surrendering to Death - Eagles of Death Metal on the Bataclan massacre.
It’s like a metaphor for all of Western civilization.

I watched about seven people die. A couple of them were three feet from the barrier. They could have fallen backwards and been alive but they were too scared to even turn around. I remember a woman just standing with her hands up in a surrender pose. The terrorist finally saw her and all she did was go, “No no no.” She surrendered to death in front of my very eyes. I was yelling at her, “HEY!” and I don't think she could hear me. She was so terrified, I think she'd already given up.
This guy is the same, he just doesn't have the guns pointed at him, yet.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-last-night-to-make-a-comeback-in-2022-says-developer/

The Last Night to 'make a comeback' in 2022, says developer

The trajectory of cinematic cyberpunk platformer The Last Night has been a sobering lesson to never fall in love with a 'First Look' trailer. The game's debut at E3 2017 was mesmerising; a hypnotic 120-second stroll through a dystopian city drenched in rain and neon, presented through a tasteful layering of pixel art and 3D graphics.

The trailer exploded, and The Last Night had the world's attention.

The details of what subsequently happened remain a bit of a mystery. Shortly after the game's debut some ill-advised tweets by Soret from 2014 resurfaced, with the game's publisher Raw Fury subsequently criticising the tweets but backing Soret, saying "a lot can change in three years, including viewpoints, and Tim has assured as that The Last Night does not spout a message steeped in regressive stances."

Things went quiet for a while, before in 2019 it emerged that Soret's studio Odd Tales was suffering massive legal and funding issues,' which syncs up with Raw Fury's statement in 2021 saying that "two years ago, Raw Fury and Odd tales agreed to part ways on The Last Night."

The game's been out of the public eye since then, until the rumour mill started swirling recently that perhaps The Last Night would be revealed at The Game Awards on December 10.

I emailed Soret to see if there was any truth to this, to which he that "this is just a rumor—The Last Night will be shown next year, not before." He declined to say whether the game would actually be released in 2022, saying "in an era of crunch and over-mediatization, I don't intend to make any announcement at the moment, especially given the pressure it would add to my small team."

Instead of honing in on release windows, Soret addressed the matter of his studio Odd Tales continuing work on the game without publisher Raw Fury. "Since then we've been tremendously growing & maturing as a young independent team," he says. "We're confidently building The Last Night brick by brick, taking our time to carefully design, document & implement each part of the game, from evolving our visual style for next-gen to designing dozens of accessibility options."

It's of course good to hear that the studio's growing and seemingly putting the tough times behind it, but we still have few details about how the game plays and what it really is, beyond a gorgeous cinematic platformer inspired by the likes of Flashback and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

While Soret didn't offer more details on the game itself, he concluded: "What we know is that for The Last Night comeback in 2022, we make it our mission to blow everyone away by the strength & originality of our proposition."

Last edited by a moderator:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Joined the discord because I was interested in AI related discussions and found some up to date visuals from the game there:

The_Last_Night_Demo_Odd_Graphs_090_800x450.gif

ezgif-7-9f92f09a41f5.gif

The_Last_Night_Environment_Antelopes_112.gif

The_Last_Night_Demo_Playable_Train_Station_Scene_01_113.gif

The_Last_Night_Arrival_084_1.gif

The_Last_Night_Laundry_076.gif

From what I gathered it's still in development and should be entering full-production. Game will be around 8 hours if you just follow the plot. Dev describe it as a mix of Shenmue and Flashback/Another world. Most likely 5-6 mn long trailer coming this year at a big event.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom