Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Hired Gun from Streum On Studio

Siel

Arcane
Patron
So much exaggeration again. Shooting is decent and is far from being one of the many flaws of the game.

Israfael

Arcane
Many of the things he does in the video won't work on the max difficulty - I've literally shot my whole supply of ammo into the first robot, other shielded enemies are also very meaty and will shred you if you get too close and won't melee kill them. One shots are also a thing, especially from behind. Same weird shit happens to enemies as well, so it's making the game very random and unpredictable

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bought it because of E.Y.E. nostalgia...

Some initial technical issues (crash, dlss not selectable etc), did the fix for the negative mouse acceleration, new nvidia graphics driver but not the latest, buggy one etc.

Now it runs ok, but hitches a bit whenever I reach a new section of the map or something.

Thoughts so far (put in spoiler because too long)

Playing on highest difficulty.

Weapons so far are... Ok. Workmanlike. Nothing exciting. Worse than E.Y.E. in terms of weapon diversity and fun factor, it seems? Also worse melee system, haha. At least the plasma guns aren't as bad as in Inquisitor:Martyr.
Bolter and plasma seem to lack projectile impact/explosion sounds unless the whole guy explodes? Grenade launcher does play explosion sound on impact, though.
Grappling hook has a dedicated button, so that's better than Doom Eternal's annoying tendinitis-provoking solution. Unfortunately it seems to weirdly autotarget, so that part is worse.

Enemies are probably the worst part. They're just not much of a challenge unless you were to get locked in an elevator with a whole squad or something. Ogryns and AmBots pretty much can't do anything to you at all. You are too agile for them with your jump + dash especially. Anything that isn't hitscan or close to it is a complete joke.
The spawning behavior sucks. What is this, bioshock infinite? You have to move up to trigger ambushes etc, can't outwit them first (unless they actually did spawn a long distance away or something... But if they're behind doors that open only as you get close, well), and they will spawn right next to you if you're at a spawn point.
Extra missions also have the old E.Y.E. issue of being infinite spawn bs where everyone knows where you are.

Weird to have dash/dodge bound to the same key as duck. I want duck on control and dash on shift. Preferably sprint, too, but you can't sprint in this, in spite of the huge maps. Can upgrade legs, at least.
That train level was long as fuck.

Because of all the chests and secrets I feel the need to search every nook and cranny, but it's mostly a waste of time :/
They went overboard with the levels in that regard imo. Especially since everything I've found so far is just generic stuff. Even the named weapons are just generic items, or rather, all weapons have fancy names but don't do anything intersting.

I spent quite a while trying to hop into that one open door with a ladder inside in the first mission that was really high up... Didn't know yet that you can buy double jump after the first mission and just redo campaign missions where you missed anything.
Juice ain't worth the squeeze when it comes to exploration though, tbh.
Fucking looter shooter bs.

Movement ideas are nice, but due to the sticky wall-run thing I randomly get catapulted into molten metal just because the system gets the wrong idea when I try to grab a ledge lol.
Also randomly makes me wallrun backwards for no fucking reason.
They should really work on this. Your pc also randomly won't grab ledges after jump-dashing into them.

Sound is weird... Very muffled a lot of the time. Gun sounds are ok in volume, and not too terrible... But nothing exciting either. Footsteps, voices, many (but not all) environmental sounds are low in the mix. Sometimes I think there's some sort of lowering of the volume for those happening after people talk or something, and it just stays maybe?

Resources are irrelevant.
You can regen health if you hit enemies after you were hit yourself for a short time. You get 3 medkits and 3 revives (restockable in mission). Revives are plentiful, medkits have to be bought apparently.
Oddly enough your shield doesn't regenerate by itself, have to pick up cells.
Ammo never runs out, ever, unless you try to fight an AmBot with a weapon modified to be as low penetration + low damage as possible, maybe. Ammo crates are also plentiful, in addition to drops from enemies.
Never had much trouble... You get a ton of money from selling found gear (u.i. for all the inventory stuff is awkward, as many have remarked).

It's less cool than E.Y.E. so far tbh. Has some of the same critical flaws (campaign structure/extra mission design, resources don't matter at all).

All of their games are pretty flawed, and things aren't getting better it seems. The graphical fidelity has improved, but almost everything else seems like it's gotten worse or at best stayed at the same level.
At least they did attempt to add more to the movement system over their old games and the average shooter.

Story ain't worth talking about, seriously.

That being said... I'm not a Necromunda fan to begin with. Boring-ass human gangs and bounty hunters etc don't do anything for me.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
What is interesting is that the looter-shooter concept should work in this setting (scrounging merc in the slums of the biggest hive city there is), but they managed to do it in a very uninspired fashion. Of course, a merc is not a spehss mehreen, but they could have added something satisfying to do like the ork krumping in the Relic's Space Marine.

PanDupa

Educated
A 3.3gb patch(?) has just appeared on Steam, I can't find any changelog or information on whether it was a patch at all.

ADL

Prophet
If you were having performance issues, they just patched FidelityFX Super Resolution into Hired Gun and you can use that on pretty much every graphic card ever made. If you have an RTX card they patched DLSS to 2.2 that fixes ghosting too.
This will get a lot of attention because it's the first game to use both FSR and DLSS.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So I finished this since 3 patches in it should be fairly good.
It's certainly... playable and less annoying. But holy shit the game felt short. And the story was C-tier shit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And the story was C-tier shit.

That's being very generous.

Imagine building a game in the 40k setting and this is what you come up with. Gah, this is why writers need full creative control and not just be a salary chump. Also, get better writers.

Curratum

The guys who worked on art, visual and level design in this one should have their salaries tripled.

The guys who worked on mechanics, gameplay and progression, as well as writing in this one should be fired.

Bottom line is a negative, the bad outweighs the good. StreumOn tried so hard, but in the end, it wasn't good enough.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Like I said before, the game is still a very good first-person WH40k weapons simulator. But beyond that... meh.

Curratum

I endured a pirated copy for 4 missions before I deleted it. Would have refunded on Steam anyway.

ADL

Prophet
Hopefully this one is better. I have no idea how they shipped the game with the current implementation. Good lord.
The limitation system on takedowns is now removed. A new takedown system is still in internal tests in order to potentially be added in a future patch.

ADL

Prophet
Greetings Bounty Hunters!
The fourth patch is now live on Steam and brings various stability and QoL improvements!
For this update, we mainly focused on improving the overall stability of the game and on bug fixes.
Thanks a lot for your continued support of the game!

Patch Content
New features

- Add a third slot for long weapons
- Takedowns are now limited by a Takedown gauge that replenishes itself with time or when the player deals damages.

Bugfixes

- Global improvements of stability and performances
- Fix a bug with the skins menu of looted weapons which was empty
- Multiple minors bug fixes
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1222370/view/2962794719270086491

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Limited takedown means you get one shot more, that's about it. With the way health and shields work you need to chain takedown just to stay alive in some situations.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
zBcXsDV.png

I'm really enjoying this TBH.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom