Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PC Gaming Show at E3 2021: Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong, Wartales, Mechajammer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Big Bad Wolf; Mechajammer; Modern Wolf; Nacon; Shiro Games; Vampire: the Masquerade - Swansong; Wartales; Whalenought Studios

Despite the inane skits and relentless MechWarrior 5 product promotion, yesterday's PC Gaming Show wasn't completely worthless. For starters, there was a new trailer for Big Bad Wolf's upcoming narrative RPG Vampire: The Masquarade - Swansong. The trailer introduces the Malkavian Leysha, one of the game's three protagonists, who is apparently on a mission to find her lost daughter. There's no release date for Swansong yet, but we'll be seeing more of it at the Nacon Connect event on July 6th.

In addition to trailers for previously announced titles, there were also a few world premieres during the show. One of these was for a game called Wartales, an upcoming open world turn-based tactical RPG from Shiro Games, creators of Viking strategy game Northgard. It sounds a lot like Battle Brothers, placing you in the role of the leader of a band of mercenaries in a gritty medieval setting. Additional details about Wartales are available on the game's Steam page and in PC Gamer's interview with game director Nicolas Cannasse. It's scheduled for release on Early Access later this year.

The final Codex-relevant announcement of the show was about none other than Mechajammer. That's right, Joe and Hannah were serious about that "fun news" coming later this month, which is that the game has been picked up by indie publisher Modern Wolf. It does not have a release date yet, but it has finally gotten a proper Steam page with a new public demo that will be available until June 25th, and of course a new trailer.

A few hours after the reveal, Joe and Hannah published a Mechajammer Kickstarter update with details about the latest changes they've implemented. They also got an interview at PC Gamer where they spoke about the game's mechanics and 1980s sci-fi action movie influences. Maybe it's really finally coming together.

So the newest VtM gives us an oppressed gender challenged vampire dyke with a kid. Wow. If there were any doubt that this IP has been ruined beyond recognition, let it be removed. Mechajammer seems to have settled on an aesthetic akin to a PS1 adaptation of a comic book. I notice the lower perspective angle. Is that new? Not sure this art style benefits from it.

At a glance, Wartales seems like it's worth a second look.

Radech

Augur
I mean the demented ravings of an eggless, malkavian, cat lady does feel like an interesting experience, you could really get into some creepy horror with this.

I don't know why people are complaining about muh politics, I'm quite enjoying my all human Lawful Good party in Solasta. It's the railroading and fake choices that piss me off, not the options presented, I love hunting the dystopia in the utopia and vice versa.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
disgusting.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Watch them combine it with that chick making a super hero who's uber powers gappen during her period. They can always make it worse.

Yeah, I think VTM or vampires "period" are DONE! Let em rot.

For reference.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well Wartales looks interesting. And Mechajammer might be as well if it ever comes out.

Dr Schultz

Augur
So the newest VtM gives us an oppressed gender challenged vampire dyke with a kid. Wow. If there were any doubt that this IP has been ruined beyond recognition, let it be removed.

Honestly, as a long-time Vampire storyteller, I find puzzling that people complain about woke and SJW stuff in the World of Darkness, a setting that was presented from the get go as "a darker reflection of our society".

The first edition of Vampire came out 30 years ago. "Our society" in the meanwhile has changed, hence "its darker reflection" has changed accordingly...

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should have split the copper dreams update from the rest.

Also, what's the deal with the animation/graphics quality in that vampire trailer? That graphics quality is lower than what many games had back in 2004. Looks like characters have been done in Poser 2.0 or something.

Terra

Cipher
Damn, they really dialled up the :prosper: with that vampire trailer, couldn't tell if it was supposed be a dyke or trans or some new eldritch hybrid. What a disgrace.

Mortmal

Arcane
Putting Wartales between Swansong and Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) is putting a nugget of gold into a sandwich of shit.
How so ? There's very litle info on wartales yet.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Putting Wartales between Swansong and Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) is putting a nugget of gold into a sandwich of shit.
How so ? There's very litle info on wartales yet.

Battle Brothers with legs.
Non meme answer: Turn based, low fantasy, isometric, medieval, grid based, squad tactical game. Also has some things I personally like in my tactical rpgs in the trailer, like low damage variation (8-30), small maps, good unit count and melee aoe attacks. Also it has at least rudimentary base building and a really pretty overworld map which does not resort to sprites, which is pretty rare. Also I like the art style.
A big thing was that this game was announced during the absolute trash fire that was the PC gaming show, and it was one of the very few games from there that looked decent, making the whole thing less of a waste of time. But I think even without that Wartales would be a game that is right down my alley.
Also this is not the first game by the team, so high chance of not being vaporware.

As for why I dislike Swansong I think it is apparent from the trailer, and Mechajammer has a fairly high chance of becoming vaporware again.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I mean the demented ravings of an eggless, malkavian, cat lady does feel like an interesting experience, you could really get into some creepy horror with this.

Nah. That doesn't even compare to the struggles of a wholesome Christian housewife who somehow fell into the embrace of Satan's bloodthirsty spawn. Why aren't there more vampire stories like that?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Watch them combine it with that chick making a super hero who's uber powers gappen during her period. They can always make it worse.

Yeah, I think VTM or vampires "period" are DONE! Let em rot.

For reference.

Eh, the fuck...

The first edition of Vampire came out 30 years ago. "Our society" in the meanwhile has changed, hence "its darker reflection" has changed accordingly...

>you don't lke propaganda, why?

Radech

Augur

Nah. That doesn't even compare to the struggles of a wholesome Christian housewife who somehow fell into the embrace of Satan's bloodthirsty spawn. Why aren't there more vampire stories like that?

Would love that, could be a malkavian that ends up killing her family because of her slowly building delusions, you could set it in Victorian times or Korea, where paleness is a sign of status, and she would thus naturally avoid sun-light(not because she's vain, but because she cares about her family's status and knows the danger of vicious rumours), so there's room for a slow descent into a Lovecraftian nightmare. Even better if she's Tzimisce...

I do like the eggless metaphor for Vampires, only able to reproduce via. corruption, just like trannies and other assorted fags. Faggot is actually quite apt for Vampires, both in the tinder and the burden sense.

Wholesome Christian housewife corrupted into a satanic faggot, would sell well in the Qboomer demographic .P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom