Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Perkel

Arcane
Everyone : "From is failing. They should do something else, same dark souls non stop, i can't play it anymore, same game over and over again lol"

Everyone: "FUCK ! GO BACK NOOOO WE WANT DS"

Everyone : "From is failing..."

SumDrunkGuy

Are the Dark Souls 2 directors still with From Software? I want those fuckers to head another game. Miyazaki is nice and all but those guys brought so much more to the table.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly I'm mildly disappointed at the whole thing.

It seemed like the promise was that it was going to be a huge open world game, but instead it seems very much like it's an expansion on the Dark Souls gameplay loop *and world design*, ie sparse dialogue etc, with an open world play area and some neat world-building.

Should be a cracking game, but it's an evolution, not From Software making a character or narrative focused game.

only 30 hours? dang, i thought this would be a behemoth of a game u could spend 100 hours each playthrough and still see new stuff etc.. Kinda short, really.

Better 30 hours of enjoyment than 100+ hours of Ubisoft style Assassin's Creed/Far Cry/Watch Dogs drudgery...

Will probably take me at least 40 hours anyway due to OCD and being crap at these games.

Will there be a "You Died" screen?

30 hours is a really good amount for ye ole wage slaves.

Definitely want more games in the package where you finish the story in 30h, and you have enough of the postgame/multiplayer/etc by 45.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Why does this game look so bad graphics-wise? I'm out of touch with modern consoles, shouldn't they be ready to run 2010 PC graphics at this point?

Perkel

Arcane
Why does this game look so bad graphics-wise? I'm out of touch with modern consoles, shouldn't they be ready to run 2010 PC graphics at this point?

Because it is made still for Xbox One aka 1,2TF console.

Bloodborne is still their best looking game which was made on 2TF console aka PS4 and they didn't need to care about 1,2console.

Their next game will probably be full on next gen game.

SumDrunkGuy

It seemed like the promise was that it was going to be a huge open world game, but instead it seems very much like it's an expansion on the Dark Souls gameplay loop *and world design*, ie sparse dialogue etc, with an open world play area and some neat world-building.

Should be a cracking game, but it's an evolution, not From Software making a character or narrative focused game.

only 30 hours? dang, i thought this would be a behemoth of a game u could spend 100 hours each playthrough and still see new stuff etc.. Kinda short, really.

Better 30 hours of enjoyment than 100+ hours of Ubisoft style Assassin's Creed/Far Cry/Watch Dogs drudgery...

Will probably take me at least 40 hours anyway due to OCD and being crap at these games.

Definitely want more games in the package where you finish the story in 30h, and you have enough of the postgame/multiplayer/etc by 45.

Right!? They're so fuckin stoopid for sticking close to the formula that they both invented and perfected. They need to be more like Bethesda.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

That's the best thing they could do. Instead of building the #1245565433333 open world game of emptiness, they decided to just expand what they perfected with DS with elements of novelty

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
No one comments on the lore yet? Seems a copypaste from DS. Basically there was once a great power in the world that now is fading ( the flame /ER). There are beings who owe their strenght to that power ( the lords/demigods) also they have gone mad ( same in DS).
PC is a special being that exists because reasons related to the power ( undead/tarnished).
My guesses:
your choices will be to
-reforge the ER ( relight the flame) and "save" the world
-take the power for yourself ( usurpation of fire ending in ds3)
-or let the ER power disappear ( dark ending)
-bonus impossible to obtain without guide obscure ending wich will be the best or the worst ending depending on who you ask on internet

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They said the same kind of shit about Sekiro before it came out, that it was going to be more accessible blah blah bblah. Thankfully they have a skewed idea of what that means.
Sekiro is arguably more accessible than the souls in many ways. Where it lost on accessibility is by having precise rhythm game like boss and mini boss fights. Everything else about the game is more accessible.

No more decision making in character building and possibly making dumb mistakes (like throwing points in a shit stat like resistance in DS1, not understanding stats softcaps/making unbalanced builds, upgrading the wrong weapon and regretting the resources spent and whatever else). Almost no danger involved in world exploration (let's face it, most random mooks are r1 spam friendly and skipping random mooks, playing as if you were speedrunning the game on your first playthrough, has never been as easy as in Sekiro, where your character can jump from roof to roof and avoid enemies like he's spiderman.). Whatever losses death induces, is less punishing than in the souls. No risk of killing or missing a npc that is truly crucial to your potential game progression - like say if you make a pure sorcerer in DS and end up being unable to get cool spells. Storytelling is straightforward and is effortless to follow.

Everything about Sekiro is simplified to the most basic degree outside of the realm of boss fights. It's one of my main issue with Sekiro : I find combat - during boss and miniboss fights only - interesting, but everything else about the game is boring and halfassed.

the comment about stamina being still in but less relevant has me worried. i really don't want DS3.5: roll boogaloo: the r1spammening

After DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro, I find it unlikely for From to ever go back to the slower, more methodical style of fighting of DS1/2, or the puzzle like design of DeS. For better or worse, the portion of From's current fanbase who favor the older games approach over the newer ones is a tiny minority.

It seemed like the promise was that it was going to be a huge open world game.

It was obvious from the get go that they meant Zelda like overworld more than Bethesda like sandbox. Just with a little more freedom and soulsian approach to what may keep a player from entering an area (whether it be outright difficulty or having to get a few mcguffins)

Miyazaki's own words in 2019 :
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...volution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019
He wasn't misleading any one of you. It's your own problem if you interpreted it as meaning "we're making twitcher3!!1
Elden Ring Is an Evolution of Dark Souls Says Creator
[...]

“Villages will be the dark dungeon-like ruins that you have come to expect from us,” Miyazaki said, laughing.

“Creating a more open game is a big challenge for us. If we were to add towns on top of that, it would become a bit too much, so we decided to create an open-world-style game focused on what we are best at.”

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am very excited for this, and it has the potential to become my favourite FromSoft game.
The new gameplay they have in Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro is ultra smooth and satisfying. But all of those games had a lot less rpg elements than prior FromSoft games. That is what makes Bloodborne my current favourite, it has the ultra fast aggressive combat, but with still a high diversity in builds through the trick weapons and potent magic builds.
In Elden Ring it looks like they are leaning into magic and miracles and general rpg elements a bit more again. The advertising had more of a focus on it than usual.
Couldn't give less of a fuck about this being not very original, give me combat the speed of Dark Souls 3 with the character building options of Dark Souls 2 and I am happy.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho the biggest change and most important is that the arts from DS3 won't be weapon specific. They will be probably weapon type specific or maybe even interchangeable.

This alone would give a lot customization. There were some great arts in DS3 but they were wasted on some lucklustre weapons.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
you can beat Bloodborne in less than 10 hours if you're good at the game and just stick to the critical path, doesn't even take a speedrunner to do it because I was able to do it on my third playthrough and I'm terrible at games.

All of the Souls game can be done quickly if you want the worryingsome part is why they would advertize that. You'd think they'd pad the shit out of that number for marketing reasons.

E32TLvnXIAA8HTq

reskin of crystal caves from DS1:lol:

PvP confirmed in russian interview
https://www.igromania.ru/article/31...krytyy_mir_multipleer_i_yadovitye_bolota.html
About the plot

Elden Ring clearly has a lot in common with the Dark Souls series . Why couldn't it just be called Dark Souls 4?

We wanted Elden Ring to be the culmination of our love for gaming and, in particular, dark fantasy, the action RPG genre. The Dark Souls setting would have bound us with unnecessary restrictions in terms of plot, gameplay, enemy design ... Besides, when it comes to building the world and the universe, we squeezed everything possible from the core theme of Dark Souls - kindling a flame - and therefore decided to try something new ... Fresh world, fresh themes.

Dark Souls presented the plot in small chunks and translucent hints, while Sekiro was more direct, with dialogue and cutscenes. How does the narrative work in Elden Ring ?

The narrative in Elden Ring is closer to Dark Souls. The story will be fragmented, and the player will have to explore the world, collecting scattered pieces of lore, in order to compare and interpret them later. This is an important element of the game - gradually discovering the world and understanding it deeper and deeper.

That being said, we certainly want to leverage the strengths of Sekiro's storytelling in Elden Ring. As you said, it is more straightforward; dialogues and cutscenes, in my opinion, are a good way to present the plot to the player, to interest him. In Elden Ring, it is especially important to understand the characters and their motives, because the story, in fact, has several protagonists. In addition to your hero, who plays the role of a window into the world of the game, many other characters with their own characters and motivation are involved in the scenario. They will affect how you understand and interpret ENT.

Will we be able to make decisions that will affect the plot?

Yes, there will be several endings in the game, depending on your decisions. The NPCs you meet will have a big impact on your worldview and reveal how they see the world themselves. And your path will be determined by what prompts you receive from them and how you behave with them. These characters are an extremely important part of the Elden Ring.

About horses

Horses are perhaps the most notable innovation in the game compared to Dark Souls . What is their role?

A horse, first of all, is needed to move freely and comfortably around the world: its "big jump" allows you to instantly climb huge rocks. You can also quickly cross dangerous terrain on it, and just ride.

The trailer also showed horse fighting. How will they differ from the usual ones?

First of all, the horse is still intended for riding: for battles, players will most likely want to dismount. But in some situations you will have to fight on horseback - or even avoid a risky situation. We will let the players choose how to use the mount: although horseback riding is not available in certain locations, where you can climb on a horse, everything is in your hands.

About multiplayer

In Dark Souls, you could summon other players and NPCs to help you fight bosses. And then the cooperative will work right in the open world?

The summoning of phantoms will not be available everywhere, but everything will not be limited to some bosses. You can explore the open world together, there will also be offline assistants - the spirits of the enemies you defeated. Again, they are not available in all locations, but this is another element of character customization: you can choose allies like magic spells or items - they will become part of your build.

Will there be any other restrictions? For example, earlier assistants disappeared after defeating bosses, and calling a partner did not allow the player to leave the location.

Elden Ring uses a system of signs familiar from Dark Souls, so the scheme is roughly the same: defeat the boss and disperse. True, we would call this not a limitation, but rather a way to let the players relax. A good point after which you can let the players return to their business, so that they do not annoy each other: "well, when we already disperse", "how much more we have."

Otherwise, we aim to reduce stress in multiplayer and make sure that players who want to play together have as few obstacles as possible. So that they can participate in the network game whenever they want. First, we have reduced the amount of resources required for multiplayer. Previously, players needed humanity or other rare items, which repelled the audience: now we want to achieve maximum accessibility, give players as much freedom as possible in this regard.

Secondly, since the world of Elden Ring is huge, it can be difficult to find summoning signs in it. To do this, we have highlighted special locations where players can leave their signs or see who is currently available. And so that the battles do not turn into endless hide and seek, we are adding interface elements that provide enough information to both participants in the confrontation.

Yeah, will there still be PvP in Elden Ring ?

(Miyazaki brightens up noticeably) Yes, there will be invasions and, let's say, optional PvP. Throughout development, we tried very hard to make this aspect of the game as less annoying for both players as possible - we are still working on it.

What about the Covenant?

In this sense, Elden Ring is similar to Demon 's Souls : the conditions for participation in multiplayer are minimum, you just need to leave a sign. The game has a bit of a covenant twist, but the multiplayer-tied ones just add some flavor to the multiplayer. They add their own characteristics, like role-playing. They will not become a mandatory requirement for multiplayer.

About the open world

How does the open world of Elden Ring work ? Are the locations just creating a backdrop for travel between key points, as in Shadow of the Colossus , or are question marks scattered throughout the map, as in The Witcher?

Neither one nor the other (laughs). It's hard to say where he is closer, but the open world of Elden Ring will definitely not be an empty field for horse rides from point A to point B. We wanted him to have character, so that he would have interesting finds, dangers and memorable encounters. The map is not filled with question marks that distract attention: players will have to place markers themselves to mark points of interest. For example, we climbed higher, saw some notable places and wrote down that you want to go there and find out what kind of story unfolds there. We want players to build their own storytelling in these lands. In Elden Ring there will be a so-called "main" path, a natural route of passage - the player will find out about it almost immediately. But there is also an opportunity to turn off the intended path, to find your way.

Sounds just like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild . However, there was a problem with the rewards: exploring the world was very fun, but nothing sensible was found in it. What rewards will Elden Ring offer for exploring the world ?

Many items of equipment are hidden around the world: weapons, armor, spells, skills, spirits for summoning and ingredients for crafting. So there will be rewards for player explorers. But I would also note that meetings with plot characters are in themselves a reward, because thanks to them you get to know the world better and look at already familiar places from a different angle. They add drama to the journey, add twists to the narrative, allow for the story of the hero, and influence the endings.

Well, since you remembered Breath of the Wild - I personally went through it to the end with great pleasure, and my reward was a sense of satisfaction from the process. But our approach is still somewhat different: we place great emphasis on character development and customization.

The most important question

Why is there a poisonous swamp in every game you play?

(laughs) Yes, there will be a poisonous swamp in Elden Ring too! Perhaps this is some kind of my injury! (laughs) I don't know! Something makes me put poisonous swamps everywhere! Maybe something in the subconscious. Good question, I somehow didn't even think about it.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
E32TLvnXIAA8HTq

reskin of crystal caves from DS1:lol:

PvP confirmed in russian interview
https://www.igromania.ru/article/31...krytyy_mir_multipleer_i_yadovitye_bolota.html
About the plot

Elden Ring clearly has a lot in common with the Dark Souls series . Why couldn't it just be called Dark Souls 4?

We wanted Elden Ring to be the culmination of our love for gaming and, in particular, dark fantasy, the action RPG genre. The Dark Souls setting would have bound us with unnecessary restrictions in terms of plot, gameplay, enemy design ... Besides, when it comes to building the world and the universe, we squeezed everything possible from the core theme of Dark Souls - kindling a flame - and therefore decided to try something new ... Fresh world, fresh themes.

Dark Souls presented the plot in small chunks and translucent hints, while Sekiro was more direct, with dialogue and cutscenes. How does the narrative work in Elden Ring ?

The narrative in Elden Ring is closer to Dark Souls. The story will be fragmented, and the player will have to explore the world, collecting scattered pieces of lore, in order to compare and interpret them later. This is an important element of the game - gradually discovering the world and understanding it deeper and deeper.

That being said, we certainly want to leverage the strengths of Sekiro's storytelling in Elden Ring. As you said, it is more straightforward; dialogues and cutscenes, in my opinion, are a good way to present the plot to the player, to interest him. In Elden Ring, it is especially important to understand the characters and their motives, because the story, in fact, has several protagonists. In addition to your hero, who plays the role of a window into the world of the game, many other characters with their own characters and motivation are involved in the scenario. They will affect how you understand and interpret ENT.

Will we be able to make decisions that will affect the plot?

Yes, there will be several endings in the game, depending on your decisions. The NPCs you meet will have a big impact on your worldview and reveal how they see the world themselves. And your path will be determined by what prompts you receive from them and how you behave with them. These characters are an extremely important part of the Elden Ring.

About horses

Horses are perhaps the most notable innovation in the game compared to Dark Souls . What is their role?

A horse, first of all, is needed to move freely and comfortably around the world: its "big jump" allows you to instantly climb huge rocks. You can also quickly cross dangerous terrain on it, and just ride.

The trailer also showed horse fighting. How will they differ from the usual ones?

First of all, the horse is still intended for riding: for battles, players will most likely want to dismount. But in some situations you will have to fight on horseback - or even avoid a risky situation. We will let the players choose how to use the mount: although horseback riding is not available in certain locations, where you can climb on a horse, everything is in your hands.

About multiplayer

In Dark Souls, you could summon other players and NPCs to help you fight bosses. And then the cooperative will work right in the open world?

The summoning of phantoms will not be available everywhere, but everything will not be limited to some bosses. You can explore the open world together, there will also be offline assistants - the spirits of the enemies you defeated. Again, they are not available in all locations, but this is another element of character customization: you can choose allies like magic spells or items - they will become part of your build.

Will there be any other restrictions? For example, earlier assistants disappeared after defeating bosses, and calling a partner did not allow the player to leave the location.

Elden Ring uses a system of signs familiar from Dark Souls, so the scheme is roughly the same: defeat the boss and disperse. True, we would call this not a limitation, but rather a way to let the players relax. A good point after which you can let the players return to their business, so that they do not annoy each other: "well, when we already disperse", "how much more we have."

Otherwise, we aim to reduce stress in multiplayer and make sure that players who want to play together have as few obstacles as possible. So that they can participate in the network game whenever they want. First, we have reduced the amount of resources required for multiplayer. Previously, players needed humanity or other rare items, which repelled the audience: now we want to achieve maximum accessibility, give players as much freedom as possible in this regard.

Secondly, since the world of Elden Ring is huge, it can be difficult to find summoning signs in it. To do this, we have highlighted special locations where players can leave their signs or see who is currently available. And so that the battles do not turn into endless hide and seek, we are adding interface elements that provide enough information to both participants in the confrontation.

Yeah, will there still be PvP in Elden Ring ?

(Miyazaki brightens up noticeably) Yes, there will be invasions and, let's say, optional PvP. Throughout development, we tried very hard to make this aspect of the game as less annoying for both players as possible - we are still working on it.

What about the Covenant?

In this sense, Elden Ring is similar to Demon 's Souls : the conditions for participation in multiplayer are minimum, you just need to leave a sign. The game has a bit of a covenant twist, but the multiplayer-tied ones just add some flavor to the multiplayer. They add their own characteristics, like role-playing. They will not become a mandatory requirement for multiplayer.

About the open world

How does the open world of Elden Ring work ? Are the locations just creating a backdrop for travel between key points, as in Shadow of the Colossus , or are question marks scattered throughout the map, as in The Witcher?

Neither one nor the other (laughs). It's hard to say where he is closer, but the open world of Elden Ring will definitely not be an empty field for horse rides from point A to point B. We wanted him to have character, so that he would have interesting finds, dangers and memorable encounters. The map is not filled with question marks that distract attention: players will have to place markers themselves to mark points of interest. For example, we climbed higher, saw some notable places and wrote down that you want to go there and find out what kind of story unfolds there. We want players to build their own storytelling in these lands. In Elden Ring there will be a so-called "main" path, a natural route of passage - the player will find out about it almost immediately. But there is also an opportunity to turn off the intended path, to find your way.

Sounds just like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild . However, there was a problem with the rewards: exploring the world was very fun, but nothing sensible was found in it. What rewards will Elden Ring offer for exploring the world ?

Many items of equipment are hidden around the world: weapons, armor, spells, skills, spirits for summoning and ingredients for crafting. So there will be rewards for player explorers. But I would also note that meetings with plot characters are in themselves a reward, because thanks to them you get to know the world better and look at already familiar places from a different angle. They add drama to the journey, add twists to the narrative, allow for the story of the hero, and influence the endings.

Well, since you remembered Breath of the Wild - I personally went through it to the end with great pleasure, and my reward was a sense of satisfaction from the process. But our approach is still somewhat different: we place great emphasis on character development and customization.

The most important question

(laughs) Yes, there will be a poisonous swamp in Elden Ring too! Perhaps this is some kind of my injury! (laughs) I don't know! Something makes me put poisonous swamps everywhere! Maybe something in the subconscious. Good question, I somehow didn't even think about it.

lol Igromania still exists

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

(laughs) Yes, there will be a poisonous swamp in Elden Ring too! Perhaps this is some kind of my injury! (laughs) I don't know! Something makes me put poisonous swamps everywhere! Maybe something in the subconscious. Good question, I somehow didn't even think about it.[/spoiler]

He didn't think about it. Must've been the only one in the entire world.

retinoid

Savant
https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Vorschau/40800/84122/0/Elden_Ring.html

"You'll only have to face slightly less than half of these bosses if you only want to advance the main story. If you only follow this path without digressions, you should be entertained for about 30 to 40 hours. But Hidetaka Miyazaki emphasized that all that lies off this direct path is particularly interesting."

Miyazaki clarifying the 30 hours comment. You only need to beat less than half the bosses to advance the main story, which will take approximately 30-40 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom