Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Move jRPG above ALL ELSE on the main board

jackofshadows

Magister
Imagine unironically attempting to put down anime art when you're into shit like this.

99-CE532-E093-A47-FBCF48-ABABBEC2628-D6-C13030-E.jpg
And what's wrong with Astarion's portrayal, exactly? Top-notch if you ask me, as far as modern 3d goes.

As for anime/JRPG aesthetics - it's very appealing and pleasant... if you're a Japanese, I guess. Or have an aquired taste. Putting it above anything is questionable at best.

By the way, the most amusing reasoning I've seen here from JRPG-enthusiasts is like "You don't appreciate it? Ha, your loss, go play your western sjw-infested ugly shit then!". The fuck? I don't have to. Besides, who even cares that much about game's looks? I, for one, can play JRPGs even if I dislike its visuals.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
J-games are more offensive

Maybe for people who have become accustomed themselves to ugliness and hideousness, Japanese aesthetics which are meant to be pleasing, are "offensive". For the rest of us it is precisely the reason we like it.
Beauty is presenting adult women as 10 year old kids with boobs, riiiiiight.

The Japedo aesthetics.

You know that things are really bad when fans of western games actually started using SJW talking points to defend their games. All attractive women in games were created simply to appeal to pedophiles. Especially the ones with big tits.
To SJWs pedo shit is great, hell you should like genderbending oversexualized kids! So it's really not an SJW talking point, you're distorting the point.

But really anime often has characters depicted with infantile characteristics: big heads and eyes, overly emotional behavior and voice.

I have nothing against beauty or oversexualized characters, but infantile shit is disgusting to me. The kid stuff is stomach churning, and their voices are like nails on a chalkboard.

The picture that made you complain about "Japedo aesthethic" has neither oversized head nor exceptionally big eyes.

S.torch

Arbiter
So it's really not an SJW talking point,

Oh no, that's one point they use a lot. But is human to commit mistakes.

big heads and eyes, overly emotional behavior and voice.

First of all, I'm completely and 100 percent sure that if I go right now and look at the anime made in this season alone, most of the character designs will not match this description you've made. Not even covering the whole year, just this season.

Secondly, those things you said have little to do with the age of the character in question. They have to do with the artist's style, which can and will affect adult characters too. In fact, the description you gave is so generic that could very well match any number of Western works, and yet we can agree that they are nothing like anime. Of course, it's not obligatory for someone to like a style, everyone has different tastes and that's why we like different things. But that's one of the best things about art in Japan, you're not restricted to one style. In the same anime season you can find anything, from series with a lovely style, or a mecha anime with a retro style, or a martial arts series where almost all the characters look like bodybuilders, or something where the people just look more mundane. And what I'm saying obviously applies to JRPGs as well, which range from horror, to fantasy while some are adorable.

Let's remember, every style has its fans, sometimes less, sometimes more. Of course, for someone to know this, they should at least know a little about the medium, and not just talk about it with preconceived notions that aren't true.

Now, more to the point. As I said, you do have a lot of artists and genres and styles to choose from in Japan. This is not the case in the West. Of course, the West has exceptional artists. But nowadays, most of the time, all your options are limited to looking from one mutant to another, from the same atrocious body to another, from the same repulsive face to another. At best you can get something tolerable, and that's it. I don't have to give any examples because the cases are well known. To the contrary, the point of many styles in Japan is to be appealing. It's largely understandable if someone finds appealing the horrible designs that right now, are the predominant standard in the west. Taste is taste. But to try to talk about what looks or doesn't look appealing, when the predominant style in Japan is years and years ahead of the West in every possible way, is nothing short of laughable.

Again, obviously there are many exceptional indies and artists in the West. But they're that, the exception. A margin that exists outside the mainstream.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Maybe for people who have become accustomed themselves to ugliness and hideousness, Japanese aesthetics which are meant to be pleasing, are "offensive". For the rest of us it is precisely the reason we like it.

The Japedo aesthetics.

You know that things are really bad when fans of western games actually started using SJW talking points to defend their games. All attractive women in games were created simply to appeal to pedophiles. Especially the ones with big tits.
To SJWs pedo shit is great, hell you should like genderbending oversexualized kids! So it's really not an SJW talking point, you're distorting the point.

But really anime often has characters depicted with infantile characteristics: big heads and eyes, overly emotional behavior and voice.

I have nothing against beauty or oversexualized characters, but infantile shit is disgusting to me. The kid stuff is stomach churning, and their voices are like nails on a chalkboard.

The picture that made you complain about "Japedo aesthethic" has neither oversized head nor exceptionally big eyes.
What picture? I didn't "complain" about a specific picture the fuck you're on about

I responded to the idea expressed in a written post. My point is general.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Secondly, those things you said have little to do with the age of the character in question. They have to do with the artist's style, which can and will affect adult characters too. In fact, the description you gave is so generic that could very well match any number of Western works, and yet we can agree that they are nothing like anime. Of course, it's not obligatory for someone to like a style, everyone has different tastes and that's why we like different things. But that's one of the best things about art in Japan, you're not restricted to one style. In the same anime season you can find anything, from series with a lovely style, or a mecha anime with a retro style, or a martial arts series where almost all the characters look like bodybuilders, or something where the people just look more mundane. And what I'm saying obviously applies to JRPGs as well, which range from horror, to fantasy while some are adorable.
You talk of art style, of appearance, and while I did talk of this, what's more important is the infantile attitude, the over-the-top emotions and the high-pitched over-excited voices present in most Jap stuff.

You might say it's an "art style", but the infantilization of characters is total, it's present in all facets of the character except for big boobs.

I abhor such things when present in western media too.

The Japedo aesthetics.

What picture? I didn't "complain" about a specific picture the fuck you're on about

I responded to the idea expressed in a written post. My point is general.

The whole discussion about western vs eastern styles was started by that picture, just scroll up.

I finally found the perfect picture for the thread
View attachment 19587
He never said it was:
1. A bad thing(in his eyes)
2. Only for anime lovers.

It's entirely possible that he likes anime and meant it as a positive thing.

So a mainstream journalist casually outed himself as a pedo on Twitter for no reason? I'd rather believe that western game developers aren't actively trying to make female video game characters ugly on purpose.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So a mainstream journalist casually outed himself as a pedo on Twitter for no reason?
It's possible. He's a pedo for the power. Being able to subtly tell everyone what you're doing without them knowing probably feels like a rush. I bet if you go through that guy's history, he probably watches that monmusu hentai or someething

So a mainstream journalist casually outed himself as a pedo on Twitter for no reason?
It's possible. He's a pedo for the power. Being able to subtly tell everyone what you're doing without them knowing probably feels like a rush. I bet if you go through that guy's history, he probably watches that monmusu hentai or someething

His Twitter is full of SJW-friendly western trash (Avengers, GOT etc.), leftists talking points and Trump-hate. Looking at fugly chicks in AAA games probably just fried his brain.
https://twitter.com/drpizza?lang=en

Anonona

Learned
A lot of the "japanese" aesthetics are just exaggeration and simplification of facial features in order to please the ingrained biological sensibilities of males. Things like big eyes, symmetrical faces, thin features, full lips and so on.

https://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakul...eck/english/kindchenschema/kindchenschema.htm
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1986-21934-001

https://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakul...beautycheck/english/prototypen/prototypen.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691445/

https://www.researchgate.net/public...re_size_in_the_facial_attractiveness_of_women
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jocd.12783

Furthermore, you only have to see what women aim to when putting make-up and you will realize they try to evoke many of the features described in those links. Bigger eyes, long eyelashes, fuller lips, cleaner skin, etc. I really don't know what this ingrained belief of liking this features equal to pedophilia comes from, but it sure as hell is quite unrealistic.

Tehdagah

Arcane
/\ I don't think using the Neptunia series is a good answer

That's how games should be made, not by listening to diversity kommissar.

One thing I notice is that Japan despite lack of obvious gate keeping and elitism going on.
They have a much stronger audience/genre segregation.
Can you even classify an entire genre based on it's audience sex?
Like the game publisher saying "this game is designed for women" casually?
Or official stuff saying things like men should play this game?
Saying that in the west seems like a big trouble.

Even games that is predominantly played by men.
Sport.
Racing.
FPS
RTS
Wargames.
People act like "stop stereotyping, there are women playing"
Yeah there are more tranies in those games than real women.

Japan put all those diversity people into their respective camp like fujoshi and similar genre.
So they won't bother the rest much.

The west have a very strong desire to include all focus and audience into one genre. Once the genre or company become somewhat not niche anymore.
Only the extreme niche games in the west can dodge this because nobody care about them.
Dynasty Warriors, Zelda, Final Fantasy, or any game filled with pretty boy characters.

pkg_16.g1huomj.jpg

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dynasty Warriors, Zelda, Final Fantasy, or any game filled with pretty boy characters.
That's actually somewhat realistic depiction. In asian cultures young hero MUST be pretty. Or at least wash himself regularly and wear clean clothes so when you die in battle for the glory of the Emprah it will be something beautiful and inspiring. When you are famous you can be old, fat, scarred etc.

Tehdagah

Arcane
That's actually somewhat realistic depiction. In asian cultures young hero MUST be pretty. Or at least wash himself regularly and wear clean clothes so when you die in battle for the glory of the Emprah it will be something beautiful and inspiring. When you are famous you can be old, fat, scarred etc.
then-and-now_o_1415347.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom