Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO2: Extraterrestrials - actually finally out

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game seems to be released.

It's a bit expensive so I may not buy it right away.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1049850/view/4356650745187642741

UFO2: Extraterrestrials - Available Now!
We're happy to announce UFO2: Extraterrestrials - Battle for Mercury is now available on Steam!

The development studio Chaos Concept thanks to all fans that have waited so many years for the release. The battle has just begun...

7f29a49464a7870ba4adaae8df7e6ba592c8401e.png

Sitra Achara So how was your decade?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Base menus are in 4:3. Game CTD after selecting subtitles in menu. Perfection :salute:

there's a workaround for turning on subs: go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\UFO2 Extraterrestrials\data\ufo-et.cfg and change showsubtitles from false to true. until the devs patch this, you gotta mess around with the game's cfg file

VonMiskov

Educated
One mission done so far. There's almost no options, there are shortcuts in battlescape but you have to guess them. A is for kneel because logic, E ends turn, Z left hand, X right hand item.

No double click on move so you can get yourself into trouble pretty easly.

Your units don't die just go unconscious so decline in terms of previous version, overall decline to UFO1 GOLD and apparently this should have all the QoL from previous according to steam page which is a lie. The rest so far is as it was in the previous installment. The graphics are ok ugly.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wtf the game uses the OG ufo soundtrack? How is it allowed to?

Rofl same menu sfx too

chaos concept commissioned a music artist who goes by the handle 'astral sight' to do the most of the music for ufo extraterrestrials. they simply recycled the music they bought from him for ufo 2; it would have been nice if they commissioned a new track or two

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

lightbane

Arcane
Wow, I didn't expect this to be released after so long. It took... Forever. :yeah:

VonMiskov

Educated
Installed the first one and this one is definitely slower due to switch to 3d models instead of sprites. The death animations are slow and can't be speed up. The graphics are cleaner in tactical part but the font is shittier and seems like it was put last or never really put much thought into it. And some parts of geoscape and base are just not clearly readable in comparison to first part.

The gameplay is same as in previous version. Being serious there is some solidity in it. The first one, GOLD version was ok for a UFO clone, not great. It tingles that AP based turn based games part of my brain but in all honesty Xenonauts and total conversions for OpenXCom are way above this.

EDIT: Also I have to take back that units don't die, there is units lost in mission summary but so far I only got unconscious status.

Last edited:
Holy fuck, it's not vaporware/long abandoned. :retarded:

Edit: Giving it a try, to say it's dated is an understatement. I'm half expecting the settings screen to tell me Extra
terrestrials 2 runs the fastest on the brand new flagship Windows platform; the Vista. Or some shit.

Guy shoots a bullet that looks like a blue suppository, and sounds like a wet fart when fired. Yet manages to murder an alien, and the second blue suppository in the volley is in fact so powerful it destroys the metal wall behind the alien, and it poofs out of existence with the sound effect of falling wood.

I don't know how to feel about any of this yet.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Your units don't die just go unconscious so decline in terms of previous version, overall decline to UFO1 GOLD and apparently this should have all the QoL from previous according to steam page which is a lie. The rest so far is as it was in the previous installment. The graphics are ok ugly.
Is there no option for this at all? It triggered me in UFO: Afterlight already (or maybe they did die, but you had no way to replace them? I am not 100% sure anymore).

VonMiskov

Educated
Is there no option for this at all? It triggered me in UFO: Afterlight already (or maybe they did die, but you had no way to replace them? I am not 100% sure anymore).
In Afterlight you had limited personel.

I am more interested in what is different between UFO 1 and this sequel
Enemies blink now. More things are in 3D, it looks better than on screens thankfully. The core/mechanics are the same as in UFO 1 with all the faults. As of 6 hours invested in I haven't found any revolutionary thing.

So far almost no challenge. I only got behind in aerial combat due to my negligence in building bases and stocking on airplanes.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Dunno what the concensus on ufo afterlight is but i have fond memories of it, it really did try to do something different with the xcom formula and its mechanics felt very thematic to a young me. Also these green martians were fun designs.

Oh right ufo ET 2, the game of this thread… So far nothing i’ve read or watched is giving me a reason to not just play ufo ET 1. When all VonMiskov can list as improvements is 3d graphics to replace the old 2d sprites that’s somewhat a problem.

VonMiskov

Educated
So is this any good?
Seems a bit expensive, but if it's decent
I would say: "no". Not at this price point. It scratches that action point turn based itch but it's mediocre at best. I know original UFO/X-COM is a golden standard but this is sub par. So far I mostly play in the same 6-8 tale sets that gets boring, you can't shoot through windows (ugh). I'm waiting for the ET armor mechanics to kick in so I will get one shotted and my shots will glance from enemies until I R&D next tier of weapons but so far it's a breeze. And it started to get boring because research is boring, there is almost no lore so far, the prologue was written in steam forums if you want to know why aliens attack, the combat is sloooow even with fastest movement setting because some animations aren't sped up.
The combat consists mostly of spotting the enemy and sniping him from afar, the RNG is really low here and 99% hit chance will hit the target. Or throwing grenades until it dies.

I think the best part are people on steam forum asking for QoL changes :D Yeah... good luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom