Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

flyingjohn

Arcane
HAHAHAH,Found something that works.
When in doubt go full retard.Took somebodies genesis script and just added my own shit.
This is all you need:
move "title*.*" ".\folder\"
It is so simple and stupid it works.Just get a list from moby and just create a couple of hundred lines with games per genre.You can also use notepad ++ regular expression to replace every beginning and end line with ^ and $.
Except one problem.
TOSEC,YOU DO NOT ADD,THE AT MOST FILES .WHO DA FUCK NAMES THE BATTLE OF SHEGOL AS SHEGOL,BATTLE,THE.

You can use this to go through thousand of files and cut the fat.

Puukko

Arcane
Started FETH proper on Ryujinx, still using the POWER build from last month which has since been rolled into mainline. Using the 60 fps patch on my 5600x, it was pretty smooth sailing and I would call this version a solid candidate for the definitive version of the game, though there were some hiccups:

- I experienced a couple crashes after intro dialogues, though they both happened after I had left the game running for quite a while. I played the game nonstop for about 6 hours afterwards and had no crashes, just one instance where the game froze for baout half a minute during battle before resuming.
- it sticks to 60 fps a lot of the time but you can expect pretty heavy drops when running around town, all the way to the 30s. Given that the game normally runs at 30 and apparently lags in those parts on real hardware as well, this isn't that much of an issue.
- the only real graphical issue is a fucked up skybox in a game where you will almost never be looking at the sky. There's some shimmering aliasing going on in some armors which no amount of resolution seemed to fix but again, not something I paid attention to during actual gameplay.

I opted to try Gshade for some post processing, which is advertised as an improved fork of Reshade. I don't know about that, but I will say the effects like to bleed very heavily into background programs. Still, given those crashes I experienced, you won't want to be alt tabing much with this game anyway. It came with a bunch of FF14 presets which unsurprisingly didn't play nice with the game so I ended up just manually adding some vibrancy to turn up the colors s little bit.

spekkio

Arcane
So, I've heard that the recent Ninja Gayden - Masta Edition isn't that mastah actually. Well, that's too bad, but nothing to cry about. After all, there are other options available...

jaXcrGA.jpg

8GXUAk2.jpg

xk91SG5.jpg

Except some slowdowns, lack of rendering above the internal res and shitty camera, game is totally playable (Win7 + i7-7700 + GTX 1050 + 16 GB RAM). Ignore the FPS counter, though - FRAPS lies this time and emu runs much slower than 60 FPS).

:dance:

Hack & Slash bonus:

P1wKnuF.jpg

OVOdGcn.jpg

PzmzcFT.jpg

Runs fast, but with graphical glitches.

GNQxhZ9.jpg

NW1Gr2l.jpg

Slow & unplayable due to severe graphical glitches.

And that's all the interesting Xbawks titles methinks. :roll:

Files used:
  • xbox-4627_debug.bin & mcpx_1.0.bin from here.
  • HDD image from here.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Armstrad cpc.
Well,it has a pretty big chuck of the spectrum library but with better graphics.If you have a favorite speccy game and want to play it in actual graphics,the cpc has you covered.Also it mostly used disks so loading ain't a problem.
Emu:
Caprice32 is the recommended one.
Press F1 go to load/save and load a disk image.
Type cat and type run"gamename.bas to execute it.
I prefer this to auto loading.
For retroarch use the caprice core. Croco ds is not really comparable when it comes to accuracy.Just drop your disk file and it will autostart.
And that is it,no bios,no shenanigans.

Games:
Lots of french only games.
Rpg:
Le diamant and le maitre seem interesting and have the best graphics of the ports.
There is also lords of midnight and its sequel but they are pretty much identical to the speccy version.
Shadowfire looks worse then the speccy version,which is a first.And you have the original bard's tale.Very similar graphics tot he apple ii.
Strategy:
CCP wargames are worth it.Any port from the spectrum has much better graphics.Shame that only about 1/3 of the library actually got ported.
Everything else is a mishmash of speccy/apple ports.
Let me show you my personal favorite:
Avalanche:struggle for Italy:
530162-avalanche-the-struggle-for-italy-amstrad-cpc-screenshot-status.png

It really can't compare to modern stuff,but i like it anyway.

Edit:Also don't use myabandonware for cpc games,there are problems.
Emuparadise has the most complete collection.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Armstrad cpc.
Well,it has a pretty big chuck of the spectrum library but with better graphics.If you have a favorite speccy game and want to play it in actual graphics,the cpc has you covered.

Not completely true. It's true that a lot of CPC games released after March 1986 were lazy Spectrum-ports, to the point that not even the graphics got upgraded. But even though the CPC can display more colors than the Speccy (and without color clashing!) it has a huge problem you didn't address: Scrolling. The number of CPC-games that can pull off scrolling on a competent level can literally be counted on one hand, they are that rare. The Spectrum actually has a few games that are better than on the CPC because it can do scrolling properly. The greatest achievement in Amstrad-scrolling is the CPC-port of Pinball Dreams (2019) which in and of itself is nothing but a coding masterpiece. Also, any game with 4+ moving objects on-screen is going to slow the computer down to a crawl. It's a jack-of-all trades machine, but master of nothing.

The CPC-port of Contra (named Gryzor for some reason) is one of the best ports of the game out there... except it has this weird "push-scroll" mechanic instead of normal, smooth scrolling.

And that's before we get to the fact that the Spectrum often sports crisper-looking sprites than the CPC... even though they're only monochrome.

Also it mostly used disks so loading ain't a problem.

Again, not completely true. The original 464-model had a tape deck when it came out in mid-1984, and it took a year for the new 6128-model (with built-in disk drive) to surface. By then the 464 had established its market, and for legacy purposes all new Amstrad-games were released on cassettes (a few titles even needing more than one) until about the time the Plus-range of CPCs appeared in 1990. By then a few disk-exclusive titles were coming out (Sid Meier's Pirates! for example) but then again the CPC's lifespan was on its last legs.

Emu:
Caprice32 is the recommended one.

Agreed, even though it's a far older emu. WinApe is a more recent one, but people are advised to have both on-hand due to compatibility issues.

Games:

France was the only country that had a bigger Amstrad-market than Britain, and it's there (along with Spain) that you'll find the largest supporters of the CPC today.

Rpg:
Le diamant and le maitre seem interesting and have the best graphics of the ports.
There is also lords of midnight and its sequel but they are pretty much identical to the speccy version.
Shadowfire looks worse then the speccy version,which is a first.And you have the original bard's tale.Very similar graphics tot he apple ii.

The CPC (and Spectrum) have a very small selection of RPGs and most of them overlap. Two notable exceptions/mentions on the CPC are Black Flag (1995) and The Shadows of Sergoth (2018), which has an upcoming Amiga-conversion.

Emuparadise has the most complete collection.

If you can tackle a French website, then CPC Power is pretty much the go-to site for all things Amstrad CPC. The real trouble starts when you try to find a proper rompack for it...

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Games:
To expand on this, there are some interesting French adventure titles on the CPC. Including, but not limited to some of Coktel Vision's lesser known titles and Ubisoft's unlicensed adaptations of 70s/80s horror films, like Dawn of the Dead, The Howling, and Hellraiser, though I forget the exact names they took.
I suspect the reason why you're suggesting this is because they just put games into zip files, correct? I know that the only game I got from there was like that, not a floppy or cassette file but a literal zip of the contents.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
To expand on this, there are some interesting French adventure titles on the CPC. Including, but not limited to some of Coktel Vision's lesser known titles and Ubisoft's unlicensed adaptations of 70s/80s horror films, like Dawn of the Dead, The Howling, and Hellraiser, though I forget the exact names they took.

The bolded one is easy to answer, as "Zombi" was Ubisoft's first published title, and they published it first on the Amstrad CPC. (Later converted to other platforms, including the Amiga and the PC.)

Humble beginnings, non?

mogwaimon

Magister
wait so you're telling me that ZombiU, that FPS zombie game launch title for the Wii U back in the day, is actually a sequel/reimagining to an obscure computer game from antiquity that was the first product of a young Ubisoft? interesting

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
wait so you're telling me that ZombiU, that FPS zombie game launch title for the Wii U back in the day, is actually a sequel/reimagining to an obscure computer game from antiquity that was the first product of a young Ubisoft? interesting
Kind of? Allegedly its not, but that fools about as many people as Zombi being an original idea.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, even most game reviewers twigged on to the fact that Zombi is an unofficial game adaptation of Romero's Dawn of the Dead from eight years earlier.

Zombies. Shopping mall. Bikers. Helicopter. Both have those.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So i reached the dos portion of my emulated collection.
Been wondering,is there anybody here that is using the exodos collection?
I am wondering,can i just rip the games and delete everything else and still have functioning games? Everything seems to be working for now,but i have no idea if that applies to cd based games and games with fan patches.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I am wondering,can i just rip the games and delete everything else and still have functioning games? Everything seems to be working for now,but i have no idea if that applies to cd based games and games with fan patches.

I haven't had a proper look at eXoDOS myself, but one notable fact is that the curators have made numerous changes to various games in the archive, but couldn't be arsed to note down what they changed, or in which games.
facepalm.png

But at a glance, you can often let eXoDOS 'install' the game, and then copy the game away to somewhere else and everything should still work. I'm not sure eXoWin is so kind, though.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
For who's interested. I finally managed to play The Last of Us for about 5 hours without crashes and only minor graphical glitches, with one of the last versions of RPCS3.

5yGwQ2D.png

x1k5QCA.png

ADE3Eee.png

I capped to 30 fps, but in some point it could go beyond that value (I personally don't mind too much, preferring constant fps.)

RPCS3 now has an integrated patch manager (you can download automatically all the updated patches). For TLOU I am using:
9gvGsG9.png

Puukko

Arcane
Is that patch manager universal? I couldn't get the 60 fps patch for Drakengard 3 to work no matter how much I tried. If I click a box and it just werks(tm) then that's great.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Is that patch manager universal? I couldn't get the 60 fps patch for Drakengard 3 to work no matter how much I tried. If I click a box and it just werks(tm) then that's great.
Should be as long as the patch version matches your game version.Your game version is listed in the game list.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of rpcs3 a friend is playing ratchet using a reddit rec settings and he ain't having any problems.And this on a i5 7600.
Gonna list the settings :

CPU tab:
Preferred SPU Threads (Auto): 3 or 2
Lower SPU Thread Priority (Disabled): Enabled
Enable SPU Loop Detection (Enabled): Disabled
Note: Some games do get better results from SPU Block Size =
Mega, but in 4c/4t CPUs most games perform better with SPU Block
Size = Safe.

GPU tab:
Shader Mode (Async multi threaded): Async w/ Shader
Interpreter
Number of Shader Compiler Threads: 2
Audio tab:
Audio Buffer Duration (100 ms): 150 ms

Emulator tab:
Max LLVM Compile Threads (4): 3
Afaik these tweaks are completely safe stability and compatibility
wise. Now, the following optimization tweaks on the Advanced tab
might cause some games to have crashes, show glitches or not boot
at all. In most games they cause no harm, and can bring huge
performance gains. If you experience problems with some game try
reverting these following settings to defaults.

Advanced tab:
Relaxed ZCULL Sync (Disabled): Enabled (safe for most
games, will cause a few games to not boot or crash in the title
screen)
Maximum Number of SPURS Threads (Unlimited == 6): 4 or 3
(if a game breaks increase it by +1 until it runs stable)

This is for people who have only 4 cores or a very weak i5.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I haven't had a proper look at eXoDOS myself, but one notable fact is that the curators have made numerous changes to various games in the archive, but couldn't be arsed to note down what they changed, or in which games.
facepalm.png

But at a glance, you can often let eXoDOS 'install' the game, and then copy the game away to somewhere else and everything should still work. I'm not sure eXoWin is so kind, though.

You don't even need to install it. *Installing* here just means extracting from zips. Go into the *exo* folder and then click on the relevant subfolder.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Programming, not even once.
More like programming attracts autists and autists end up in various marginal subgroups seeking virtual validation.

As one of the kiwi put it :

the fact he said " I'm not involved with the fandom or non-binary scene and haven't been for years, I was just desperate to fit in somewhere. " is 100% the reason why it needs to be much harder for people with autism to get any of this troon shit done, clearly in most cases it is just masking trying to fit in with any group which will take them and ends up just doing more harm to them.
(also byuu himself stated once he had "no real life friends")
Trannydom is 1% a real mental illness of its own and 99% an internet fad propagating like HIV among autists. It's clear at this point most trannies wouldn't have been trannies if they hadn't been in contact with this internet shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
01001001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100101 01100011 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100101 01110100 00100000 01110101 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01101101 00100000 01101110 01100001 01110011 01100011 01101001 01101101 01110101 01110010.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I guess it is true when people say money can't buy happiness. Dude had over 100k in the bank. Should have found a hobby that takes him outside, but if more people had that thought society wouldn't have as many problems as it does these days.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
01001001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100101 01100011 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100101 01110100 00100000 01110101 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01101101 00100000 01101110 01100001 01110011 01100011 01101001 01101101 01110101 01110010.

:shitandpiss:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom