Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II announced

Elex has some of the best (if not the best, if you take it in isolation) open world exploration that I've ever seen. As an inveterate, certified, born this way explorafag, that means A LOT. I'm sorry if some can't understand.

Even if it has the most craptastic combat system ever devised and forces you to romance physically impressive Teutonic "women" of vicious temperament that you find lying around in refugee camps again, if exploration is only half as good as before, I'll consider my money well spent and I'll happily contribute some of my hard earned EU stimulus €€€ to fund the German economy. That's the least I can do.

Codex Year of the Donut
Elex's exploration is ruined by the nigh-unbeatable enemies you can't kill until later(not without heavily abusing pathfinding, anyways) when you get better gear and just stomp all over everything. The power curve of the game is completely out of whack.
Gothic & Gothic 2 don't suffer from this

Jinn

Arcane

Gothic 1 and 2 also don't have difficulty settings. You don't have to play on Ultra difficulty if it doesn't suit your taste in the game. Just jack it back up with things start to even out for you. You can't really criticize the difficulty curve that hard if you're just unwilling to play on a lower difficulty.

Either way, being someone who did deal with the steep difficulty curve, I never felt like the exploration suffered that greatly from it anyway, particularly with the enhanced mobility at your disposal.

Codex Year of the Donut

Gothic 1 and 2 also don't have difficulty settings. You don't have to play on Ultra difficulty if it doesn't suit your taste in the game. Just jack it back up with things start to even out for you.
difficulty levels are shit and a game should be designed entirely around exactly one difficulty, I already know

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
space magic wheeeee

Agreed. Neo-medieval techno-magic settings just don't do it for me in any capacity.
People said this never played the game. There is a pretty heartfelt worldbuilding of why berserker are cosplaying larpers and why they can go againsts bots and lasers and why they exist at all. The same with other factions.

TF

Educated
Is this what the Codex has descended to? Pantyfags triggered by a Gothic descendant game being 'too hard at the start' and [I'm forced to avoid enemies] which is 'abusing pathfinding'?

JDR13

Arcane
Elex's exploration is ruined by the nigh-unbeatable enemies you can't kill until later(not without heavily abusing pathfinding, anyways) when you get better gear and just stomp all over everything. The power curve of the game is completely out of whack.

Git gud, Crusty Cuckleford.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
You are such a noob. How did you managed to play Gothic 1 back in the day?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Last good game was Risen 1 and that was 12 years ago. With ELEX it looks like they wanted to make something completely new but then were too afraid so they grafted medieval stuff into it like some cojoined twin.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked trailer to first ELEX more, to say the least. Like, wtf.

If we will get more of the same and just a little better - it will be incline.

Zlaja

Arcane
The power curve of the game is completely out of whack.

Yeah, but only on repeated playthroughs. On your first playthrough the experience is fairly similar. And don't fucking pretend. Everyone gets their shit pushed in around every turn when playing Gothic 1 & 2 for the first time. I remember hammering the quick save button like possessed while doing my virgin run of G2.

7988622316d562a15d7516e1ccc6bf67.gif

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I did play the first ELEX, but not for too long. I'm not on board with the 'handholding' with minimaps telling you exactly where to go in these types of games; this ultimately destroyed the exploration aspect of the game for me. But turning the minimap off also meant you would be completely lost as quests don't provide the necessary details to play without it - Gothic series did this very well.

Nonetheless, the premise is rather nice but I found its execution poor; it tries too hard to appeal to every RPG lover but ends up just being a 'meh' experience. I still think it's better than the upcoming Gothic reboot game though. That one goes completely off the rails for what a Gothic game is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
If you actually put attribute and skillpoints into becomming a better fighter before you get to level 30, the early game isn't nearly as hard as it's made out to be.

If you decide to get every non combat skill in the game first, then ofcourse it's gonna be hard starting out.

You stand there with 0 combat skills, holding the starting pipewrench, while also 3/3 animal trophy and 3/3 pick locks, like Chris Avellone trying to fight wolves with his shit character in Arcanum.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yeah, but only on repeated playthroughs. On your first playthrough the experience is fairly similar. And don't fucking pretend. Everyone gets their shit pushed in around every turn when playing Gothic 1 & 2 for the first time. I remember hammering the quick save button like possessed while doing my virgin run of G2.

7988622316d562a15d7516e1ccc6bf67.gif

Especially with Night of the Raven installed. Ah, the good times in the cage ...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hearty laughs at the trailer, but I'm cautiously optimistic. There's really nothing else like charming euro-jank.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hearty laughs at the trailer, but I'm cautiously optimistic. There's really nothing else like charming euro-jank.

Yeah, whoever did that needs to get his coffeeration taken away, but the gameplay will be fun again, so at least it's official now.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you actually put attribute and skillpoints into becomming a better fighter before you get to level 30, the early game isn't nearly as hard as it's made out to be.

If you decide to get every non combat skill in the game first, then ofcourse it's gonna be hard starting out.

You stand there with 0 combat skills, holding the starting pipewrench, while also 3/3 animal trophy and 3/3 pick locks, like Chris Avellone trying to fight wolves with his shit character in Arcanum.

Have you played the game at all? You can't get fighting skills unless you level your attributes and even then the weapon damage is the main contributor to combat not your skills, except the broken Cleric black whole spam you can get relatively early. Getting higher damage weapon is X times more important that any stat or ability. If you want to play anything other than the Beserker you have to cheese the game to even go to other 2 faction's hubs. Clerics are on the other side of the map ffs and you are met with mobs that are so health/defence bloated it's ridiculous. And main problem is that combat is boring not hard, you just jet to a elevated spot and when the mob is close just jump down and repeat. Even ranged enemies are easily kited.
And people praising exploration don't know shit about actual good design. One simple example is the teleporter you can unlock in the small hotel like area on the main road if you follow the main quest. The enemies there are 10-15 levels higher than any player would be at that time. Shit is so randomly placed all over the map it's laughable.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom