Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is that obsession with some dead gay elf who will die second time the moment i will meet him in the game? Seriously - elf gay vampire. Talk about redundant.
Don't ask me. It had become the face of BG3 when the EA came out. Also i am not sure if he is an elf fag,wasn't he a human fag ?

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
BG 2 had one of the best villain in gaming history.

The best thing about Irenicus is his memorable voice acting, but apart from that, he is a very milquetoast villain. A powerful elven mage punished for his thirst for power, yawn. The only unique thing about him is his sex dungeon.

He gets his job done because, at least, he gives you a reason to go after him from the very beginning of the game (and some more recent examples showed us we can't take that for granted), but I don't understand what could possibly make him "one of the best villains in gaming history".

I won't argue that Irenicus is the bestest!! villain ever.
But I disagree that he's "passable at best".

He has simple goals and his motivation is clear.
Which is already better than dime-a-dozen obscure ancient evils, bloodwar demons, repears and tyranical overlords.

He is shown not just as immensely powerful wizard, but as a schemer who calculates multiple steps in advance and places agents in key positons.
Perhaps his lust for power was the reason of his exile, but it is not what drives him in the game.
Even though he is dying, he does not stoop down to soulless solution Bodhi had chosen.
And then there's the revenge part. And bits of tragic love.
He is pretty multifaceted character, not a cardboard mannequin for the protagonist (and the player) to hate.

So unless you can list droves of better villains, Jon is certainly in top 5 in my book.
He is just a butthurt Bethesda/Larian fanboy. To not have Irenicus as one of the top villains in gaming history is clear sign that we are dealing with an low IQ individual. Maybe he should give us his top 5.

If i am being honest, Todd "it just works" Howard is number 1 villain in gaming history. :)

Reinhardt

Arcane
Irenicus is just some butthurt elf mage. Who cares about their characters and motivations. They exist to be killed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Irenicus is just some butthurt elf mage. Who cares about their characters and motivations. They exist to be killed.
Sure,he died in one round when i finally went to see him. But still well written dude,really a top level villain. Tho the power creep in BG games was real,should have made him level 30 or something and had a good fight. Also the ending expansion was total shit.

Delterius

Arcane
well you see he's a powerful wizard with many agents in key positions of power so he's SCHEMING
he was exiled for his lust for POWER but you see, that's not his only motivation...
what he really wants is REVENGE!
also there's TRAGIC LOVE in there somewhere
are you sure you're disagreeing with njclaw?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
well you see he's a powerful wizard with many agents in key positions of power so he's SCHEMING
he was exiled for his lust for POWER but you see, that's not his only motivation...
what he really wants is REVENGE!
also there's TRAGIC LOVE in there somewhere
are you sure you're disagreeing with njclaw?

You're right, there's nothing new under the sun, and all the tropes you listed are applicable.
But the way they are interwoven don't turn Irenicus into a walking cliche.
He is not mustache-twirling overmind, he's not whiny scorned lover, he's not even particularly malicious.
He just sees others as tools to be used and discarded as needed for reaching his goals.
There would be no need for tortures tests on the baalborns, if he could get his divine spark back by easier or faster means.

There's a world of difference between blood-dreched half-crazed serial-killing demon-worshiper,
and a respected well-mannered gentleman who runs a profitable brothel with underaged children under the guise of an orphanage.
Irenicus is the second kind.

So yeah, this seem to be like the first time ever, when I could not sign under NJClaw's post.

Delterius

Arcane
He is not mustache-twirling overmind, he's not whiny scorned lover, he's not even particularly malicious.
he just a sociopath that uses people ye.
Seriously, you're not disagreeing with anyone. The truth is that you like Irenicus. That's all there is to it. It doesn't matter if he's cliche, dated, or creative. If it worked for you it worked, that's what matters.

Bloodlines isn't particularly inventive as far as plotlines in the World of Darkness go, but it is A) a novelty for most people who aren't world of darkness fans and B) pulled together by the earnest performance of every voice actor involved + art direction. Frankly I don't see anything that is particularly good about the stories of Baldur's Gate, nor the settings or the plots, but I can see that the characters can work for some. No debated needed past that. If the characters appeal to you then the story is good.

i do of course judge every minsc and/or edwin fan as unworthy but thats par for the course

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Pic related, bg1/2 worshippers itt:
1623855814289.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bloodlines isn't particularly inventive as far as plotlines in the World of Darkness go, but it is A) a novelty for most people who aren't world of darkness fans and B) pulled together by the earnest performance of every voice actor involved + art direction.

For those who *are* failiar with the World of Darkness and recognise the plot as the setting standard it is, Bloodlines is still a masterful adaptation. Everything is done exactly right, as fat as the medium allows.

i do of course judge every minsc and/or edwin fan as unworthy but thats par for the course

You. Will. Suffer.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
All my favorite BG companions are gnomes. Are we still ok?

I won't argue that Irenicus is the bestest!! villain ever.
But I disagree that he's "passable at best".
I guess it all comes down to what one looks for in a villain.

I'm still not 100% sure of what makes me like or dislike a particular NPC, but I know that the single most important thing for me to care about a character is that I need to find his backstory or ambitions interesting. Either that or his story has to be so mysterious and vague that I find myself constantly wondering what his motivations might be.

Thaos in PoE fails as a villain because he isn't your real antagonist for 98% of the game, but I still find "I'm the servant of the fallen ruler of all the gods and I'm using my unique boon of keeping my memories between lifecycles to restore her to her rightful throne" far more interesting than "I'm a powerful elf exiled because I tried to become a God and now I want my immortality and my revenge, but I'm still obsessed with my former lover who exiled me". Even considering only CRPGs, Thaos, Ravel, The Transcendent One, Isair and Madae, and the Master are much more interesting to me than Irenicus, so I can't really see him as "one of the best villains in gaming history".

Delterius

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
irenicus is a dumb villain because I never really felt like I had any sort of attachment to him other than him locking me up in his sex dungeon

Butter

Arcane
Patron
SHODAN is the best villain in gaming history and everyone should shamelessly copy her for the indefinite future.

Harthwain

Magister
I won't argue that Irenicus is the bestest!! villain ever. But I disagree that he's "passable at best".
He is a competent villain, but "top 5" is a bit much. Then again, one could argue there aren't that many competent villains around, which speaks of the [low] quality of villains in general.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey hey, signs of life:

Our resident CRPG nerd Dave Jewitt sits down with Larian's Swen Vincke to catch up on Baldur's Gate 3's development, what the future holds for BG3, and we are made to roll a D20 to find out if it's coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X...It wasn't a nat 20...

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"Combat, predominantly the problem is that with the tabletop certain things don't translate well to the videogame, so this is the bit that we're working on. We have a lot of ideas but they take time to try out."

Translation: we've played Solasta and we're shitting ourselves because we realize they've done a better job translating tabletop to the videogame, so we're going to copy as many of their gameplay ideas as we can and pretend they're our own. This takes time" :D

Codex Year of the Donut
"Combat, predominantly the problem is that with the tabletop certain things don't translate well to the videogame, so this is the bit that we're working on. We have a lot of ideas but they take time to try out."

Translation: we've played Solasta and we're shitting ourselves because we realize they've done a better job translating tabletop to the videogame, so we're going to copy as many of their gameplay ideas as we can and pretend they're our own. This takes time" :D
Swen does not plan on implementing trannies, you can stop hoping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom