Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 + Summer Game Fest 2021 - June 10th to July 29th

Hellion

Arcane

("Video Director" at IGN, whatever that means)

It's been a difficult year, y'all. Leave the corporations alone.

Vorark

Erudite
Guess Nintendo decided to throw Metroid fans a bone again.
Does remind me a lot of Samus Returns though, and I wasn't really sold on that one.

Yeah, I'm wary of it too in spite of years upon years of waiting for the fabled Metroid V. Samus Returns was sadly dogshit and outdone by AMR2, so it's hard to get enthusiastic knowing MercurySteam is involved once more. What is this action gameplay doing in classic Metroid? Where's the beautiful pixelwork Super/Fusion/ZM were known for? It's like "corrupt a wish": you'll get what you want, but not in the way you wanted.

That being said, the expanded SA-X pursuit mechanics do seem interesting. If the EMMI robot has a chance to appear in certain areas and actively hunt you, instead of being a scripted encounter like in Fusion, then the Dread subtitle may be justified. Ehh, not expecting much.

Bonus round, Sakamoto on the "dev history" video:

Actually, the idea for Metroid Dread first came up about 15 years ago. However, we gave up on the idea at the time because we felt the technology back then just couldn't properly bring the concept to life. We did have a chance to try again after that, but we felt like we still couldn't create the game as originally imagined so we ceased development again at that point. I honestly thought we'd have no choice but to abandon the concept... But then we met Mercury Steam Entertainment, with whom we co-developed Metroid: Samus Returns for Nintendo 3DS. They're extremely talented. Technically, they're very skilled. They also have great taste. But more than anything, they have an incredible understanding of Metroid games. I was confident that teaming up with this wonderful team would finally allow us to bring Metroid Dread fo life. And the result is that we've completed a version of Metroid Dread that even surpasses what we imagine 15 years ago.

Sure buddy, are you telling me the Wii couldn't handle it? That is was better squander that chance by releasing the garbage no one asked for called Other M, effectively putting mainline on ice for years once more and later teaming up with a third rate dev to handle such a venerable IP? Alright.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Sure buddy, are you telling me the Wii couldn't handle it? That is was better squander that chance by releasing the garbage no one asked for called Other M, effectively putting mainline on ice for years once more and later teaming up with a third rate dev to handle such a venerable IP? Alright.

Wasnt it supposed to be released on DS?
EDIT: Also to make wounds more saltier, certain guy was working on porting AM2R to 3DS (i remember he had a working demo) but he stopped because Niintendo annouced Samus Returns.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Yeah, I'm wary of it too in spite of years upon years of waiting for the fabled Metroid V. Samus Returns was sadly dogshit and outdone by AMR2, so it's hard to get enthusiastic knowing MercurySteam is involved once more. What is this action gameplay doing in classic Metroid? Where's the beautiful pixelwork Super/Fusion/ZM were known for? It's like "corrupt a wish": you'll get what you want, but not in the way you wanted.

Indeed. It would be unlikely to have seen a sprite based 2D Metroid game again in this day and age, but man would it have been a nice surprise.
The graphics of M:SR did little for me, and I liked the graphics in the MP series. The developers also reduced the number of creatures opponents, resorting to the old "pallet swap trick" again.
And they were boring looking, and so far from what I saw in that trailer we get more slugs and flies.

AM2R was simply much more fun, feeling like an expanded version of Zero Mission which IMO is probably the benchmark or standard of 2D Metroid games. (Super Metroid have helped set the standards, but ZM made it smooth)
I found the combat in M:SR sometimes incredibly tedious with that counter mechanic. Encounter enemy, wait for enemy to strike, counter, shoot weakened enemy, move on.
And that Aeion stuff honestly did not add so much either.

Honestly wish that a successor to Fusion had been released much earlier, perhaps still as a sprite game on the DS. I don't care if it limited the AI of the robot foe (I honestly don't think Sakamoto has been walking around with that idea for years, waiting for technology to catch up to make it feasible).

That being said, the expanded SA-X pursuit mechanics do seem interesting. If the EMMI robot has a chance to appear in certain areas and actively hunt you, instead of being a scripted encounter like in Fusion, then the Dread subtitle may be justified. Ehh, not expecting much.

Could be a real cool mechanic, but we have seen it a couple of times before now.
But the thing is, I find the EMMI robots (plural because I think there is more than one, from what I understand in the interview each zone may have its own) so very generic and boring looking. There is very little, hmm... personality or "presence" about them.
I know the SA.X has the advantage of being in people's memories for more than twenty years now, but there is also something really cool about being pursued by a foe that has the same powers as you/the game character, but at their fullest, as it is an "evil" replica of you.

Perhaps a Metroid Fusion remake, with a SA.X which actually starts tracking you down as you go through the station may have been more interesting.
For a sequel that has been so long delayed I just expected more.

Yep, I also felt that the guy was talking out of his ass again regarding this one.
Other M's gameplay was terrible hindered by the control and eliminating all the backtracking for items you couldn't collect earlier, until the post endgame. And story wise was absolutely unnecessary (we did not really need to know where Ridley's frozen corpse came from), even weakening the reveal in Fusion with the stupid retcon in case you play the series on chronological order.

Seems Sakamoto still hasn't learned anything. I was surprised to actually see him again after the failure of M:OM.
There really isn't anyone at Nintendo who can take his place? He is not that integral to the franchise. Hell, the Mario guy played a bigger and better role.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Metroid fans are gay.

I am not light-hearted and carefree. I am depressed.

The new Metroid looks good and Mercury Steam is a competent studio.

Metroid Samus Returns was meh compared to AM2R.
Nintendo couldn't bother with a remake of Metroid 2 for years, despite that many fans asked for it after how well Zero Mission was received.
What we got was pretty sub-par on its own, most of its hype coming from that it was a return to 2D after the less than well received previous 3D outings.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

("Video Director" at IGN, whatever that means)

It's been a difficult year, y'all. Leave the corporations alone.

celebrate failure and mediocrity! yay!

It's becoming a meme at this point.. almost every development team I talk to has used Covid as a blanket excuse to slack off and miss every deadline possible.
The WFH culture is hilarious too.. I see so many people away or offline 90% of the day.

Half-Assing is now socially acceptable. Part of me loves seeing corporations get fucked but also it's annoying when I need something.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Metroid Samus Returns was meh compared to AM2R.
Nintendo couldn't bother with a remake of Metroid 2 for years, despite that many fans asked for it after how well Zero Mission was received.
What we got was pretty sub-par on its own, most of its hype coming from that it was a return to 2D after the less than well received previous 3D outings.
This is what fanboys actually believe

Hellion

Arcane
I downloaded the demo for Death Trash and it is as amazing as I expected it to be.

Next in line are Fermi Paradox, Blacksmith Legends and Terra Nil.

kotaku link said:
Later today, Nintendo will broadcast its Direct for this year’s E3. Leading up to the event, the Kyoto-based game company has issued a request on its Japanese Twitter account: Do not co-stream our presentation.

“Please refrain from mirroring Nintendo Direct footage and sound during the Nintendo Direct livestream,” the tweet reads. Nintendo will allow simultaneous viewing (reactions, basically) without mirroring—and thus, without streaming sound or footage.

Once the presentation is finished, Nintendo has okayed the uploading of clips, but with the caveat that the use of footage and sound follows the company’s previously released guidelines.

In Japan, Nintendo clearly does not want its E3 Direct co-streamed. It’s unclear if this also applies to North America, and Kotaku has reached out for comment. It’s also not certain if this is Nintendo Japan’s policy for future Directs.

Nintendo’s E3 2021 Direct streams today, June 15, at 9am PDT/12pm EDT, running for about 40 minutes, with a three hour Treehouse stream immediately after. You should be able to watch it all here.

Update: 11:30 AM ET: Twitch has announced that due to these streaming restrictions, it will not be airing today’s Nintendo Direct on its official Twitch Gaming channel, which has been airing versions of conferences that streamers can co-broadcast sans fear of getting DMCA-ed.

“Nintendo tweeted from their official account that co-streaming today’s event is not allowed, differing from years past,” Twitch wrote on Twitter. “While /twitchgaming has permission to air the show, we won’t be airing the event because all creators can’t co-stream.”

This follows a similar last-second announcement about co-streaming from E3 over the weekend, which led many streamers to panic and reconsider their plans to stream the biggest video game event of the year. Fortunately, Twitch Gaming allowed them to co-stream the bulk of this year’s conferences. But now, not even that is an option.

Additional reporting by Nathan Grayson.

People need two open videos if they don't want to watch the direct by themselves, one tuned to Nintendo's official channel and the other with whoever, also watching the direct but they have to set it up so their viewers can't see or hear the direct. Hopefully everyone has two monitors and everything is in perfect sync, because lag can kinda ruin the impact of those big reveals.

What? Making it easier for people to give you free publicity? But my official channel views!

:dead:

Machocruz

Arcane
Metroid Dread artstyle looks better than Samus Returns, but still almost all of these sidescrollers with 3D models look like flavorless shit to me, with the Ori games being extremely rare exceptions.

EDIT: And Sakamoto is cancer for this series. I don't understand his existence. He must have compromising photos of Nintendo leadership.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Xbox Showcase #2 is live:

This special showcase, hosted by Gamertag Radio's, Parris Lilly, will feature behind the scenes details and up close and personal conversations with developers to dive deeper into their recent announcements. You'll hear from 343 Industries, World’s Edge, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, our talented partners from around the world, and more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom