Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Iconic & Unique Items in RPG History

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Christ. Ben Smedstad was still a producer during BG2's development, he could just as easily have heard the story from him.

That doesn't matter whom David heard this from, either James or David is wrong. Can't both be right. Human or githzerai? Whom do you believe and why?

Not to mention that Ben would've likely corrected people if they were wrong about Xan's original class.

Clearly didn't correct them about "Xan's" original race, so that's unlikely.

Instead of addressing any of my points you just enter fantasy-land where everything is possible. Everything except the painfully obvious.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Take a look at David's description:
Xan, for instance, was a morbid and depressing elven magic-user in BG1. The character was originally a human kensai run by Ben Smedstad (the producer), with the personality exaggerated as a joke (although I hear Xan was always the first to complain and demand that the group run away from danger).

This narrative flies in the face of Ohlen's narrative, which was:

- He was a githzerai, and had magic resistance; in other words he was a power gamer's dream character

I don't think there is a contradiction. On the contrary having Xan be the ultimate power gamer char (stats wise) while also being a complete neurotic coward, would have been much funnier than him just being a whimp.
As a matter of fact. I tried to find the secret to make him OP for two or three playthroughs because I thought there had to be more to the character and I'm just not getting it.
Would also have been very thematic that the moonblade saw the potential in him (stats) while he would forever fail to live up to him (maybe they could have made him flee more often to keep him useless).

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
On the contrary having Xan be the ultimate power gamer char (stats wise) while also being a complete neurotic coward, would have been much funnier than him just being a whimp.

Sure, in a vacuum, but he was based on an actual PnP character. That kind of character would last about 4 minutes in a PnP session before being kicked out.

It's such a trite joke it stops being funny while you're saying it.

As a matter of fact. I tried to find the secret to make him OP for two or three playthroughs because I thought there had to be more to the character and I'm just not getting it.

Xan? He's just a mage elf. Why did you think he was supposed to be OPOP?

Would also have been very thematic that the moonblade saw the potential in him (stats) while he would forever fail to live up to him (maybe they could have made him flee more often to keep him useless).

Moonblades are hereditary and judge the wielder by his character, but the main point is moonblades don't care about stats.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I was young(ish) and full of hope...
He was just so lackluster and boring as a mage and I thought there HAD to be a point in giving him this cool background. So I kept searching for the perfect buff cycle or some perfect piece of gear to make him a decent fighter.

Also growing up in Germany I had no clue about AD&D. Grew up on DSA, Shadowrun and Warhammer.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
He was just so lackluster and boring as a mage and I thought there HAD to be a point in giving him this cool background.

Makes sense, I suppose. Though I never considered that, since the Moonblades are hereditary.

Sometimes they'll be in the possession of a mage, until they can be passed on to someone better at swinging them.

I always picked him, because Edwin is OPOP and Xan is actually a rather good mage if you use him defensively.

I also prefer his whining to Edwin's smugness, though Edwin is a bro.

Another bizarre oddity by Ohlen, when he said this:

He (Xan) was originally slated to be an elven warrior in BG, but late in the game we found that there were not enough mages.

There's Dynaheir, Quayle, Edwin, Tiax *and* Xan.

One good aligned, two neutral aligned and two evil aligned. Again, Ohlen is clearly confused or misremembering, there's an abundance of mages *without* Xan.

If your protagonist is a mage, you can have a full party consisting only of mages. That's not a scarcity of mages.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Yeah Edwin was always the superior choice and seemed to have ten times the content as well. And much more fun writing
especially Edwina

And there were definitely not to few mages. The only class I ever missed was another early game thief so that I could kick Imoen out immediately

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Some on topic suggestions:

From roguelikes:
  • Cursed ring of levitation for being on of the best learning tools
  • Wand of polymorph/scroll of wishes for maximum autism and exploitation
Specific to IVAN
  • Can of banana flesh for a seemingly trash item which helps you to break the game
  • banana peels ditto (helps to train dex and weapon skills, also viable for NPC assassinations or controlled self harm)
Actually,I think IVAN itself deserves a special place for the most creative itemisation and most broken/awesome mechanics.

From proper RPGs:
  • Barrels in might and magic are imho still one of the most fun and utterly underutilized items to enhance exploration and give more freedom in character building while still being balanced
  • Lloyd's beacon even if it is a spell since I always found it to be the most flavorful teleport mechanic in any game. Something about the name is just very evocative and the mechanic is much more interesting than a simple town portal. Like a bookmark on your adventure.
  • Also the orc harpoon in MMX was fun
Most other stuff has already been mentioned. Especially Wizardry has great and creative items. Baldurs Gate has basically too many awesome items to mention especially since they did such a great job on the presentation with flavorful descriptions and evocative drawings. But I think one of the most memorable things were the Ankegh armours for me, since it was so fun to grind them for your whole crew and then walk around looking rediculous as the green men gang.

Oh and finally half the shit in Dominions, since that series is just on a whole different level in all aspects.

Dorateen

Arcane
  • Lloyd's beacon even if it is a spell since I always found it to be the most flavorful teleport mechanic in any game. Something about the name is just very evocative and the mechanic is much more interesting than a simple town portal. Like a bookmark on your adventure.

For a specific item, Dark Sun had Llod's Rod, which served as more or less the same function and was an homage to the spell from Might & Magic. The rod itself had an interesting backstory.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
I should probably get back to it someday. I always abandoned the game after escaping since I always felt the pacing broke down afterwards.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
kotb_cloud_sword_2.jpg

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Flail of Age - I don't think I started a playthru without going for this item first. It is good even on my healer

Carsomyr aka The Holy Avenger - One of the items I wanted before I even started playing. It is as strong as the enchantment and the fame suggest.

Robe of Vecna - Anyone that doesn't get this robe at some point within the game is nerfing themselves

Magicbane - It was a little busted pre Elbereth nerf, still even after the nerf I appreciate this item as it grants my character magic resistance. A very important property if I don't want my run to end too quickly

Bag of Holding - Shows up in serval dnd games. I mod this in almost any game whenever it is available after I finish playing the base game

Wabbijack - Meme weapon very funny

T-51 powered armor - Once you get this in most (note that I said most) game that has it, you are night invincible

Elite Knight Armor - Looks absolute badass and while not the best heavy armor out there is still excellent

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
I would believe a neurotic power gamer character being a coward because of my experience of being deliberately killed by DMs for having characters that were too awesome. When it happens to you enough times, you learn to hide how good your character is.

0wca

Learned
PS:T always had the coolest unique items for me.

• The Grimoire of Pestilential Thought: This one was so tempting to use cause it gives you very powerful spells but at the cost of selling your companions to slavery and/or killing them even. The reward is definitely good but I just like how it constantly tempts you towards evil.
  • Modron Cube: This one was really fun because it just looks like a little puzzle toy and then if you put it in the right position it sends you to a totally optional dungeon which is really cool.
  • Tattered Rag Doll: Same reason as above one, but instead it summons the Lady of Pain who mazes you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom