Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

Cael

Arcane
Now you give this game too much credit... In vanilla you can't swap engines or armor, you find "hero" 'mechs with pre-installed FF armour, engine heatsink and/or XL engine. Do note that, in case of XL Engine and FF armour, it only means the chassis gets free tonnage. Iirc XL engine needs crit slots in one of the side torsoes, right? No such thing here, just free tons.

On a sidenote, I tried installing the Scary Tanks mod and my Assassin was de-legged by an Alacorn during the introductory cutscene. Noice!
I know. That is why I have that list. It is what tonnage you should be aiming for for a given speed for max payload.

Iirc XL engine needs crit slots in one of the side torsoes, right? No such thing here, just free tons.
XL engines do take up side torso crits in MW5. The game doesn't make it at all clear, but if you compare a mech with one to a mech with a standard engine it has less available. Though apparently those crits aren't actually doing anything since you can lose both side torsos and remain functional. Which also means XL engines are incredibly overpowered, so great job there devs.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Iirc XL engine needs crit slots in one of the side torsoes, right? No such thing here, just free tons.
XL engines do take up side torso crits in MW5. The game doesn't make it at all clear, but if you compare a mech with one to a mech with a standard engine it has less available. Though apparently those crits aren't actually doing anything since you can lose both side torsos and remain functional. Which also means XL engines are incredibly overpowered, so great job there devs.
They take up crits but these occupied crits only impact non-hardpoint dependent equips. You can slot in an AC20 on the Atlas-K with no issue and with no critsplitting.

randir14

Augur
when was the last time a battletech game had infantry? mw3 25 years ago?
Piranha is supposedly working on their own infantry add-on for PC. They had to delay it because Microsoft wouldn't let them release it on the Xbox version for some reason.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
some reason.

I hope this is sarcasm bro. Some reason? Have you seen this game run on Xbox? Iirc in the end they explicitly said they had to remove infantry because of perfomance issue on the Xbox (Their wording was along the line "This game pushes the console hardware to the absolute maximum" :lol: ).

I wouldn't be surprised if the true reason they haven't released the official infantry mod as they said yet is to avoid exterme console butthurt, at least for the first few week after the end of the exclusive period.

it's serviceable. exactly what you'd expect from the beta of a game with fewer features than a 20 years old one.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
The game really doesn't look or run too good for something made in Unreal.
Most of the issues stem around uninspired audio design, abuse of TAA and sharpening, lack of optimization and all around minimal effort ascribed to anything in the game. This is PGI's "minimum viable product" approach. They likely took zero input from beta testers, given their track record with MWO during the first near-decade of its operation.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Im looking at this here hero Rifleman and wonder: What's even the point of special weapons on a mech when its arms will get shot to shit instantly anyway. I'd never be able to replace those unique guns it comes with.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Im looking at this here hero Rifleman and wonder: What's even the point of special weapons on a mech when its arms will get shot to shit instantly anyway. I'd never be able to replace those unique guns it comes with.
Learn to twist to spread damage so that you don't lose any parts to begin with.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
The Rifleman faces an issue in that its arms are so huge that they're rather difficult to spread damage away from (this was a problem in MWO as well, and the MW5M Rifleman is basically identical as near as I can tell down to the hitboxes and geometry). In MWO the Rifleman's strength was using the height of the arm weapons (cockpit level) to peek over hills, minimally exposing one's self to fire shots and then retreat below the ridgeline for full cover. In a mano-a-mano brawl the Rifleman is very fragile as the JagerMech was before it, and in brawls its best bet was to just focus components to disable as fast as possible before it itself was disabled. MW5M's mission design, AI and approach to combat leaves the Rifleman with few good options. I loved Legend-Killer in MWO, when it was in its element it could be extremely dangerous. In MW5M, it and the rest of the Rifleman chasses are sorely lacking in purpose beyond "just another Heavy". I advise using the Rifleman as a sniper in MW5M whenever possible because it cannot brawl effectively, and vanilla lancemate AI is not competent or complex enough to know how to leverage it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Rifleman faces an issue in that its arms are so huge that they're rather difficult to spread damage away from (this was a problem in MWO as well, and the MW5M Rifleman is basically identical as near as I can tell down to the hitboxes and geometry). In MWO the Rifleman's strength was using the height of the arm weapons (cockpit level) to peek over hills, minimally exposing one's self to fire shots and then retreat below the ridgeline for full cover. In a mano-a-mano brawl the Rifleman is very fragile as the JagerMech was before it, and in brawls its best bet was to just focus components to disable as fast as possible before it itself was disabled. MW5M's mission design, AI and approach to combat leaves the Rifleman with few good options. I loved Legend-Killer in MWO, when it was in its element it could be extremely dangerous. In MW5M, it and the rest of the Rifleman chasses are sorely lacking in purpose beyond "just another Heavy". I advise using the Rifleman as a sniper in MW5M whenever possible because it cannot brawl effectively, and vanilla lancemate AI is not competent or complex enough to know how to leverage it.

With the added problem in the case of the hero variant that it comes with SHOTGUNS.
Not that it isn't funny as hell to headshot a mech simply because of the spread.

Cael

Arcane
With the added problem in the case of the hero variant that it comes with SHOTGUNS.
Not that it isn't funny as hell to headshot a mech simply because of the spread.
It works, hilariously enough. In the HBS game, which is based off MW5, the most lethal 'mech I have is the Jaegermech running 2 LB2-X cannons, 1 large laser and 2 medium lasers. With Called Shot Mastery, I just go straight for the head and it is head hit practically every called shot of any kind. I have killed 'mechs without ever blowing through any armour simply by hitting the head 3 times and knocking the 'mech over. It is as fuckingly stupid as I thought it would be back when the stupid game first came out.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
G76Ss5p.jpg

I wish I can drive that car.
Also running mod that gives machine gun same range as med laser, fun!

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
XBqsl3j.png

You can target the weapons on those dropships.
I don't remember a mission where they shoot.
The Leopards in the base game also actually have weapons systems but they're nonfunctional without mods. After I installed Mercs Reloaded my Leopard would actually smoke the fuck out of vees and vtols at LZ and could bruise enemy mechs crowding LZ.

Laughing that it took until the DLC to see Unions as something other than scripted set pieces though operational Unions were rarer than Leopards circa 3015 to be sure. I will say the typical weapons complement for a Union-class is pretty alarming so when mods get them working that's gonna be exciting.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
XBqsl3j.png

The Leopards in the base game also actually have weapons systems but they're nonfunctional without mods. After I installed Mercs Reloaded my Leopard would actually smoke the fuck out of vees and vtols at LZ and could bruise enemy mechs crowding LZ.
Why are you telling me this?
Your dropping off Leopard shoots in the base game, it shoots when picking up now with the latest DLC update, destroying mechs that get close.
There was even a old mod to reduce dropship damage.
https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/44?tab=description

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
XBqsl3j.png

Your dropping off Leopard shoots in the base game, it shoots when picking up now with the latest DLC update, destroying mechs that get close.
Didn't last time I played vanilla.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
XBqsl3j.png

Didn't last time I played vanilla.
Read the discussion in the mod link, it describes when the leopard shoots, that was vanilla.
You keep educating people with weird & out of point info like this, XL engines, Atlas variants, ammo replenishing after missions, how to salvage when the person was talking about shooting in demo missions.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom