Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steam Next Fest, June 2021: Demos of upcoming RPGs available from June 16th to 22nd

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Charlie Oscar; Code Three Fifty One; Crafting Legends; Death Trash; Der Geisterjäger; Graverobber Foundation; Lost Eidolons; Mitzi Games; Ninth Exodus; Ocean Drive Studio; Peripeteia; Poetic; Project Haven; Sacred Fire; Shiro Games; SmokeSomeFrogs; Sonucido: The Mage; Space Cats Tactics; Spire of Sorcery; Steam Next Fest; Tiny Trinket Games; Wartales; Zoria: Age of Shattering

It's time for a new summer edition of the Steam game festival, now known as Steam Next Fest. There are a good number of RPG demos available this time, including a few which have never been released before. Notable titles include the recently crowdfunded Korean tactical RPG Lost Eidolons and the recently announced mercenary band RPG Wartales. And of course we must give a shoutout to zwanzig's upcoming dungeon crawler, Der Geisterjäger. Here's our curated list of noteworthy RPG demos that will be available until June 22nd:

As usual, you can check out the games' Steam pages for details on developer livestreams and Q&A sessions that will take place over the course of the event. Enjoy!

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
turbotovi.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
anyone got any recommendations?

edit: oh its in the news section so no one will read it.

In addition to most of the titles already mentioned in the news post, I also downloaded:
- Carrier Command 2
- City of Gangsters
- WH40K: Battlesector
- Giants Uprising
- Mechajammer

Will report back soon.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lost eidolons is about the only one thats got my attention from this batch.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
spire of sorcery looks inter. . .

>rougelike

homerbush.gif

I know it says "roguelike" on the Steam page, but I wouldn't call it one (compared to games like ADOM and CDDA). What it shares in common with roguelikes are permadeath and randomly spawned resources and enemies, but that's about it. I also shared more of my thoughts in the Spire of Sorcery thread.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ill start rolling my microreviews:

peripeteia - character says 'hop' while jumping, very polish thing to do indeed. Camera is stretching objects away from center which makes my head hurt and is game breaker for me

death trash - good sound and visuals. Cant say I dig content much. Its... weird and I dont find it engaging. Combat, stealth is meh

sunocido - graphix is ok. Cant say im a big fan of such crawlers, i dont find this one very engaging in current state. For starters id expect it to offer something new/fresh to compete with other titles

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
sacred fire - doesnt load

rogue lords - first i started thinking - why is there no front and back line? Then i realized that perhaps i expected disciples from this, for whatever reason. Its way too simple to attract my attention

wartales - now this seem cool. kenshi meets homm? wishlisted. My thief got cought stealing in a market, got sent to prison. On my way to check this prison out I got ambushed and died. From my limited time game seemed to offer plenty of thievery, mercantile, combat, exploration

spire of sorcery - i prefer stabbing rogues in my rpgs, not boring spell preparations

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Always hated the fact that these demos are time limited. Why not make them available permanently?
most of those demos are really bare and it makes sense to release them from time to time so that improvements are clearly visible.

Once its close to release demo should be available obv. I made few purchases only due to such demo

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Always hated the fact that these demos are time limited. Why not make them available permanently?

Some people do keep them up and/or put them on Itch later. There's some talk in the industry for years now that demos are bad for business reasons. I don't think this holds up for Indies (because of discoverability reasons) but I don't have enough experience to back this up (did mostly free games for years).

ArchAngel

Arcane
A lot of these games look interesting. I think I will check out 4 or 5 of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom