Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Not only is he more turboautistic than the entire Codex combined, he has played and likes more RPGs than the entire Codex combined lol.
I'm pretty sure that he has nothing on combined list of octavius, mondblut, Deuce Traveller, Crypt Rat and V_K.

Ladonna

Arcane
I am fairly convimced that "he" is really Scorpia juist well disguised. There is no way in hell a man is that disorganizaed or not planning or not tactical unless they have a serious mental deficiency.

Nah, he goes on about betting calculations way too much.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'll say it again: he's just super fucking autistic. He has incredibly specific pet peeves and incredibly specific tastes. He switches off the music during gameplay, even if the soundtrack is amazing, just because he can't understand the appeal of having music on while playing a game. Your party isn't carrying a radio around so where's the music coming from?? It breaks his immersion. He's very forgiving of some types of flaws, while others will immediately bother him. He highly values the progression loop of RPGs where you do stuff and level up, to the point that he doesn't mind intensive grinding, but will complain when a game has too few levelups even if the character system is amazing (like Defender of Boston where you have extensive character creation with a complex system, but don't level up). He can play through the same basic gameplay loop of going from peasant to epic warrior a dozen times without getting bored.

He has grade A autism, that's all it is. You can't go through such a project without having grade A autism.
Autistic or OCD? My autistic cousin has the mind of a 3 year old and is about 27yo now. He can't play computer games and has to be supervised constantly else he might walk into traffic, have a seizure, or do something that could get him lost, injured, or killed. So autistic? To what degree of medical knowledge are you basing this off of. I see the term flung around here more than monkeys fling their shit.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He's just not autistic enough to unlock the superpowers yet. Give him time.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
There are several degrees of autism. Its light forms are sometimes even somewhat useful for the individual. Of course, the autism itself became a butt of every joke a long time ago.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I've noticed that a lot of these "I play everything" projects have this quality. Maybe it's the enormity of the endeavor crashing down on them, or they're overcompensating because they don't want to come off as nostalgic "the old stuff was so much better" types even though in many cases it really was better.
This isn't unique to gaming projects, even. I remember reading Martin Popoff's "complete" '80s and '90s metal books and at times there were random rock albums that had no reason to be there or writing how they couldn't find all the albums from a certain group, but he likes them.
He switches off the music during gameplay, even if the soundtrack is amazing, just because he can't understand the appeal of having music on while playing a game. Your party isn't carrying a radio around so where's the music coming from?? It breaks his immersion.
Wasn't the stated rationale that he just doesn't care for game music, not anything deeper than that? I keep feeling like he's trying to Mandela Effect away some previous opinions that he grew out of, like didn't he say he thought a fully voiced game would get a perfect 10 or something? But now he's acting like he never said that.
I fully believe this, and I believe this is the reason he gave Final Fantasy 1 such a disproportionally high rating.
He put it as his highest game of the year, and in like the top 50 rpgs of all time lol. Final Fantasy 1 is a mediocre entry in the series, pretty good for the time it came out (predates DQ III for example which is a real milestone for the genre), but overall only middle of the road. It deserved nowhere near as much praise as he gave it.
But turns out if you only play one genre for years, even a change of subgenre can be a major breath of fresh air.
I've only briefly played some of the games, but I felt like FF1 was the closest the series got to being a traditional CRPG, whereas later get extremely anime, especially in the story department. Its probably the novelty of seeing a console game do the genre decently that gave its rating.

Lucumo

Educated
The guy disqualified himself for me when I read his Rance "review" where he whines about RPG aspects even though the game is an adventure game (it's literally written on the game box), makes simple mistakes which show that he didn't bother playing the game properly and then also goes into deluded ranting mode. He is basically your typical ignorant American with a holier-than-thou attitude. There are better people around who write about older games.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Nah, he is pretty alright. I don't like his methodology and always for a light ribbing, damn that Fate tit debacle and his wife demanding him to see how she romances Alistair from DA was a hilarious shit, but when all said and done, CRPG Addict is the fellow RPG lover.
There are better people around who write about older games.
There are always some flaws, no one of us is perfect. Digital Antiquarian, for example, is fucking hack when he tries to talk about Dark Sun or the Goldboxes.

Desiderius

Patron
The guy disqualified himself for me when I read his Rance "review" where he whines about RPG aspects even though the game is an adventure game (it's literally written on the game box), makes simple mistakes which show that he didn't bother playing the game properly and then also goes into deluded ranting mode. He is basically your typical ignorant American with a holier-than-thou attitude. There are better people around who write about older games.

But we are. Maybe not this atheist sperglord but a lot of the rest of us. I mean who here is even trying to be holy?

Narushima

Cipher
Where else would you go for so many authoritative write-ups on classic RPGs?
Give his extremely peculiar tastes and opinions, I would certainly not call him authoritative.
And generally these guys who set out to play every [something] game are not the most interesting to read.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There are always some flaws, no one of us is perfect. Digital Antiquarian, for example, is fucking hack when he tries to talk about Dark Sun or the Goldboxes.
Frankly, so much of DA comes off as deliberately wrong, even when its literally staring everyone right in the face that its wrong. But at the same time, he's about the only person I've seen acknowledge some things like The Fool's Errand or early multimedia titles. Its twisted.

Last edited:

Durian Eater

Learned
He has mentioned that he has a job as a professor.
There you go. And, if he's tenured, he's got the comfy salary, permanent job security, and enough time for him to dedicate to the blog.

He only got that job two years ago or so.
Before that, he was a freelancer whose jobs required him to travel a lot. He mentioned that he often played RPGs on his laptop in the plane.

He also wrote that hysterical rant when Trump won the election in 2016, screaming about how he was going to lose his health insurance and how anyone who voted for him should stop reading his blog. Nothing about 'his' supposed backstory--late boomer military veteran, formerly a defense industry consultant(?) and recently an academic--sounds legit to me, but his blog is good light reading and it seems like more effort has been put into it in recent years. That said, most of the synopses are dry after-action reports that don't convey at all what might be enjoyable about the game (unless it's a roguelike).

Desiderius

Patron
Defense industry consultants* hated Trump because he was nominated to stop Rs starting stupid wars all the time. He actually succeeded on that somewhat, especially v Iran when the warmachine was all warmed up and ready to roll - that's when they completely turned on him. This is why everything is so confusing because the people who hated Trump the most and have been behind a lot of the shit undermining him and the people who supported him are Rs themselves, but regular Rs are too stupid to figure that out, as are the media who just thought everybody hated Trump because their only R contacts were defense people.

Clinton won 96% of the vote in DC where most of the consultants/defense people live. Only 65-70% of those people were Ds at the time.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
He also wrote that hysterical rant when Trump won the election in 2016, screaming about how he was going to lose his health insurance and how anyone who voted for him should stop reading his blog. Nothing about 'his' supposed backstory--late boomer military veteran, formerly a defense industry consultant(?) and recently an academic--sounds legit to me, but his blog is good light reading and it seems like more effort has been put into it in recent years. That said, most of the synopses are dry after-action reports that don't convey at all what might be enjoyable about the game (unless it's a roguelike).
Frankly, I rarely read him, I prefer to play games myself, but now I've remembered that his Fate: Gates of Dawn walkthrough had another hilarious moment. He compared a local McGuffin, The Orb of Hate with the Trump.

Unwanted

Rewrite

Latest Doxxer Account
Dumbfuck
At least the waifus don't look like sjw dike-lords.
afeiVje.png

what kind of beastiality is this?

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think his issue lately is that he seems to feel forced to update regularly ever since doing the Patreon thing, and he has also mentioned that he feels the need to write at least a certain amount of words per post. There's not always a lot to discuss when playing a game, and that's clear as day in many of his posts that are just "dry after-action reports" like Durian Eater mentioned above.

Having to meet a (self-imposed) minimum word count on a somewhat regular schedule (and then responding to comments) each time you play a game begins to sound a lot like a job to me, and I think it shows in how annoyed he has started getting at games over the past year or so.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess if he feels like its a tiresome chore then he should just quit the blogs. If he loses patreon supporters I think he'll live. If not, well.....
3usJLqA.jpg

LDp5dcH.gif

well-boohoo-im-so-sorry-your-feelings-are-hurt-princess-14457317.png

rHXdrLJ.gif

eh, he'll be fine.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
His FATE map was quite an achievement. Personally, I'm glad there's someone playing all these old games I had wanted to play, so that -- usually -- I can see I wasn't missing much.

Desiderius

Patron
Maybe his issue lately is that he's getting into games with a lot more content and he's figured out that he's never making it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think part of the problem is that he expects more "realism" when graphics get better. For example he has numerous times mentioned he would like to see monster groups in the distance in dungeons instead of the more abstract was blobbers and GB games treat it.
And then he starts to over analyze things.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I think part of the problem is that he expects more "realism" when graphics get better. For example he has numerous times mentioned he would like to see monster groups in the distance in dungeons instead of the more abstract was blobbers and GB games treat it.
And then he starts to over analyze things.

Well, M&M series and Wizardry 8 do this and they're the crème de la crème of blobbers so it seems he's not completely lost ...

I have to agree with him on this, early wizardry and jrpg copying mindlessly this crap for 3 decades is just retarded, i can understand why they did it back then given the early home computers limitations but it's still bad.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom