Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
so 5 dudes are hanging around a campfire, all casual like

??? one of them has his gas mask on ???

uhm, maybe he knows something the others dont?

Perkel

Arcane
That dev trailer response is great. Takes away a lot of worries.

- factions are in
- Artifact hunting and by that stats
- Old locations
- inventory (because artifacts must go somewhere same as attachments attachments)
- creator of STALKER series is at the head of it

New stuff:
- better graphics
- "cinematic" first person animations

Wait is this a mod for SoC ?

:mlady:

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm surprised no one is asking about ballistics. I guess no one will noticed then if it's missing?

Among a few things they actually did right was a proper ballistic system where bullets have trajectories and they don't fly infinitely and in a straight line.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised no one is asking about ballistics. I guess no one will noticed then if it's missing?

Among a few things they actually did right was a proper ballistic system where bullets have trajectories and they don't fly infinitely and in a straight line.

Too hard to tell with the current footage as the shooting was very close quarters. We'll need either an answer from GSC or a trailer showing long range combat to confirm.

I imagine it will contain a proper ballistics system though, it's quite a common feature in modern FPS. Though few did it in as much detail as the original STALKER trilogy.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
- inventory (because artifacts must go somewhere same as attachments attachments)

Weapon modding could be just a pop up window like in Crysis (I think it was Crysis), same goes for artifacts.

On the other hand, with Tarkov's success, grid inventory, weapon modding and stats are definitely on the table.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Weapon modding could be just a pop up window like in Crysis (I think it was Crysis), same goes for artifacts.

On the other hand, with Tarkov's success, grid inventory, weapon modding and stats are definitely on the table.

I'd like to learn more about the armour system (or lack of), it was always an important part of progression in the original trilogy.

I see no reason why they'd cut it, but you never know with streamlining devs.

Cassar

Savant

Too hard to tell with the current footage as the shooting was very close quarters. We'll need either an answer from GSC or a trailer showing long range combat to confirm.

I imagine it will contain a proper ballistics system though, it's quite a common feature in modern FPS. Though few did it in as much detail as the original STALKER trilogy.

Its not a common feature at all in modern fps games. Long distance combat is non existent in pretty much the entire history of console shooters. It doesnt work with controllers. The shooting in the trailer shows a gun thats welded to the users hand and feels like a nail shooter. There was no feeling, impact, balistics or any semblance of a good shooting mechanic in the trailer. The bullets just teleport in a straight line from the gun to the enemies.

Considering the fact that pretty much no other game has the shooting mechanics and feel of the original trilogy and this is a console game its safe to say it wont have the depth of the orignial. A controller requires every system be overhauled and gutted and neutered, and the fact that they want this to have mass apeal means further neutering

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Considering the fact that pretty much no other game has the shooting mechanics and feel of the original trilogy and this is a console game its safe to say it wont have the depth of the orignial.

Uhh... ArmA 3 has way more advanced ballistics than any Stalker...

EDIT:
To give one example of it:
QFDEFaD.jpg

As a bonus, some vehicles' armor:

Stalkers don't come close...

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant
Considering the fact that pretty much no other game has the shooting mechanics and feel of the original trilogy and this is a console game its safe to say it wont have the depth of the orignial.

Uhh... ArmA 3 has way more advanced ballistics than any Stalker...

EDIT:
To give one example of it:

As a bonus, some vehicles' armor:

Stalkers don't come close...

Sure, thats a military sim and a pc exclusive. What i said remains. You cant have a lot of the things that are in stalker in a console game. The controller doesnt allow it. It already requires massive amount of assists for pretty much every possible action in every game. Stalker was a game that started development in 2001, exclusively for PC, at a time when your goal could be to just make a good game and thats it. Today, the console controller dictates an entirely different type of gamedesign, thats the tool you interact the game with, you control the game with - its wildly ineficient at pretty much every task. Then you have the need for mass apeal, to apease shareholders, and so on. These days regen health is common, fast travel, open world that is just big instead of having meaning and purpose. Its not a world that allows a game like the original Stalker to be made the way that was made.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Its not a common feature at all in modern fps games.

Most modern FPS games have 99% of encounters taking place at extreme close range. Even consolised games like the new Battlefields have basic ballistic systems.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Correct, hitscan shooters are not common at all these days.

If ballistics are realistic is a different question, but I don't believe that realistic ballistics are necessary in video games. They just need to feel believable for the game they're in.

Curratum

Correct, hitscan shooters are not common at all these days.

If ballistics are realistic is a different question, but I don't believe that realistic ballistics are necessary in video games. They just need to feel believable for the game they're in.

That's exactly the point. The entire point of REELISTIK ballistics, on the other hand, is to give autists something to make charts about.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
That's exactly the point. The entire point of REELISTIK ballistics, on the other hand, is to give autists something to make charts about.

The entire point of realistic ballistics in a sim like ArmA is give a reasonably representative and consistent result based in reality, which is the basis of the gameplay of the sim.

Perkel

Arcane

And artifacts equipped binded under ctrl+1-9 ? are you retarded ? Quick menu could be a thing but they clearly looted that stuff

Steezus

Savant
Patron
And artifacts equipped binded under ctrl+1-9 ? are you retarded ?

Quick menu could be a thing but they clearly looted that stuff

I does take a certain kind of idiot to answer his own question, while still apparently not being able to actually understand it.

Quick menu, radial menu, or even Perkel mode where you only get one artifact so you can't hurt your brain by swapping items, you drooling simpleton.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Is this even noticeable outside of like some kind of long range sniping?
Generally speaking from a player perspective.. 'bullet go straight until hits object' is not generally immersion breaking or disjointing to gameplay?

Not sure how much CPU cycles you want to invest here into some ultra realistic falloff to your raytrace.

What's the experience when this isn't accounted for?

Latelistener

Arcane
If there is an iconic weapon of the series it's VSS Vintorez. It's really damn good and it's silent and I personally used it a lot. And yeah at certain range you begin making adjustments otherwise it may not hit where you want it to hit.

And "If a player can't see it why bother?" usually leads to this:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Generally speaking from a player perspective.. 'bullet go straight until hits object' is not generally immersion breaking or disjointing to gameplay?

Not sure how much CPU cycles you want to invest here into some ultra realistic falloff to your raytrace.

It was quite noticeable in the original trilogy, because guns had different muzzle velocities and lots of encounters took place at mid to long ranges.

The devs even put slightly different ballistic properties on different types of ammo for the same calibre.

passerby

Arcane
That dev trailer response is great. Takes away a lot of worries.

Artifacts works exactly like tonics from Bioshock, so a proper inventory system s not necessary to have them. That said I believe that inventory will be in.

The trailer gives me impression that it will be a soft SoC remake with almost no innovations, in the vein of Piranha Bytes games that all have the same gameplay, factions, locations and story.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

dude

the CPU impact of external ballistics is negligible compared to pretty much anything else

you don't need a complex function describing the bullet trajectory (and even if you did, modern CPUs can calculate it with close to no effort) - for any type of ammo fired from a barrel of a known length, there's an easily available table listing the drop-off, velocity loss, etc.

e.g. a .45 ACP 230 grain round fired from a standard 5'' barrel, with sights hypothetically zeroed at 50 meters as far zero:
- shoots ~2.5 cm high at 25 meters, losing ~2% of its muzzle velocity (~4% energy)
- shoots ~11.3 cm low at 75 meters, losing ~6% of its muzzle velocity (~12% energy)
- shoots ~31.8 cm low at 100 meters, losing ~8% of its muzzle velocity (~15% energy)
- shoots ~84.6 cm low at 200 meters, losing ~15% velocity (~27% energy)

if you don't think a fall of more than 6" (common rule-of-thumb size of a human head btw) at 100 meters is noticeable even in modern CQC focused shooters, well... consult your ophthalmologist i guess?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If there is an iconic weapon of the series it's VSS Vintorez. It's really damn good and it's silent and I personally used it a lot. And yeah at certain range you begin making adjustments otherwise it may not hit where you want it to hit.

And "If a player can't see it why bother?" usually leads to this:

Can I get a time stamp? there's a ton of shit in this video that has nothing to do with what your describing?

dude

the CPU impact of external ballistics is negligible compared to pretty much anything else

you don't need a complex function describing the bullet trajectory (and even if you did, modern CPUs can calculate it with close to no effort) - for any type of ammo fired from a barrel of a known length, there's an easily available table listing the drop-off, velocity loss, etc.

e.g. a .45 ACP 230 grain round fired from a standard 5'' barrel, with sights hypothetically zeroed at 50 meters as far zero:
- shoots ~2.5 cm high at 25 meters, losing ~2% of its muzzle velocity (~4% energy)
- shoots ~11.3 cm low at 75 meters, losing ~6% of its muzzle velocity (~12% energy)
- shoots ~31.8 cm low at 100 meters, losing ~8% of its muzzle velocity (~15% energy)
- shoots ~84.6 cm low at 200 meters, losing ~15% velocity (~27% energy)

if you don't think a fall of more than 6" (common rule-of-thumb size of a human head btw) at 100 meters is noticeable even in modern CQC focused shooters, well... consult your ophthalmologist i guess?

Relax Sperg.
I don't play a lot of FPS games and never spent any real time thinking about this before, you went a little try hard here over nothing.

I was genuinely asking if it has a noticeable effect on gameplay to be worth it. My only experience with FPS games is like Counter Strike where it's really just a ray cast with a spread formula. I've never seen a game that implemented "drop off" of bullets. If anything I would of thought it would be annoying to people.

If I can get a time stamp of what your describing in that Crowbcat video I think I'd understand better. I assume you don't mean for grenade launchers / rockets / arrows - where it's actually very noticeable but literally bullet velocity. (Bullets usually just being a particle effect)

In my mind average players would be annoyed as fuck if their "head shot" missed over this - not saying we should cater to that.. but often times people have a certain expectation out of a game mechanic that doesn't map to real life.

It was quite noticeable in the original trilogy, because guns had different muzzle velocities and lots of encounters took place at mid to long ranges.

The devs even put slightly different ballistic properties on different types of ammo for the same calibre.

Interdasting.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
One of the most awesome things in the original trilogy was using the rangefinder on the PSO-1 scope on the SVD to pull off accurate shots at range.

Lots of games model rangefinders on scopes, but very few actually have it functional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom